1939 "40" with a smoking problem.

Guest vt39

I guess I am the one with the "problem"... the car appears to like smoking. We are new to this car and we know very little about it's history. We do know its been sitting for 10+ years. We dropped the pan and removed about 2 qts of sludge, Put in fresh oil, plugs, etc.... Car smokes badly and its definitely oil burning... Overall the car is extremely solid, someone clearly started a resto, I would have assumed they did work on the engine too based on the great shape of everything under the hood. Seems like maybe not based on compression tests... between 60-100psi depending on the cylinder. Any clever last resort tips to help solve... before we yank the motor out?

With that much compression valiance between cylinders, I would think you may have some rings frozen to the pistons. Remove the plugs and look for the cylinders with oily fouled plugs are they the ones with low compression? liberally apply Marvel Mystery or your favorite oil additive in those cylinders and drive the car at short intervals of high speed. Give it some time to see if it is improving. Before pulling the engine, Pull the head and look for a ridge at the top of the cylinders. No ridge would mean that the engine was probably rebuilt. You can mike the bores and see if there is a taper from top to bottom. These checks will help you decide on pulling the engine. I would only pull the engine if I had to do bearing work or bore the cylinders.

Bob