65 speed warning buzzer inoperable.

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

Just like the title says, the speed warning doesn't sound. Wiring diagram shows the buzzer wired in a loop between the instrument panel and the cruise control disengagement switch at the brake pedal. Before I go contorting myself into a position sure to affect the enjoyment of my weekend does anyone have a history with this issue and some guidance as where to start?

Mike

Guest clamshells
Mike,

I could be wrong but I don't think these cars came with a speed warning buzzer if it's equipped with cruise control. My car (65rivi gs)has cruise control , no speed warning buzzer.

arnulfo

Hi Arnulfo, both of my cars have cruise, they both have the adjustable indicator. I've never used the cruise (guys say they can surge pretty bad when they age) so I don't risk using it. I don't know what the yellow adjustable indicator is for, do you?

post-98889-143142584824_thumb.jpg

Guest atomickneedrop

Hello Gents,

The yellow indicator is used to set what speed the buzzer goes off. One wouldn't want to get going to fast and not know it. As soon as the speedometer needle passes the indicator an anemic buzz starts. Both my 65 and 64 are equipped with it. I assumed it was standard equipment. Neither has/had cruise control.

Cheers

Kraig

Guest clamshells
Hello Gents,

The yellow indicator is used to set what speed the buzzer goes off. One wouldn't want to get going to fast and not know it. As soon as the speedometer needle passes the indicator an anemic buzz starts. Both my 65 and 64 are equipped with it. I assumed it was standard equipment. Neither has/had cruise control.

Cheers

Kraig

Hi Kraig, I recently drove a non-cruise control car and it buzzed, I was excited to hear the buzzer on my car but nothing happened.

Hi Kraig, I recently drove a non-cruise control car and it buzzed, I was excited to hear the buzzer on my car but nothing happened.

On a standard car the yellow pointer adjusts the speed at which the speed warning buzzer sounds.

On a cruise equipped car the yellow pointer sets the cruise speed. A cruise equipped car does not have a speed warning buzzer.

Tom

Hi Arnulfo, both of my cars have cruise, they both have the adjustable indicator. I've never used the cruise (guys say they can surge pretty bad when they age) so I don't risk using it. I don't know what the yellow adjustable indicator is for, do you?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255405[/ATTACH]

What tom said in post#6

arnulfo

Clams,

If you've never used your cruise control then give it a try just to see if it is functional. It's actually pretty interesting to read about in the chassis manual. There is a good chance it will function just fine and if it doesn't it may be that it just needs a little TLC (I.e. ensure good electrical contact, check vacuum line, clean the filter, etc).

Since you are in the Bay Area you might want to try to find level ground for your first test.

Guest clamshells

Clams,

If you've never used your cruise control then give it a try just to see if it is functional. It's actually pretty interesting to read about in the chassis manual. There is a good chance it will function just fine and if it doesn't it may be that it just needs a little TLC (I.e. ensure good electrical contact, check vacuum line, clean the filter, etc).

Since you are in the Bay Area you might want to try to find level ground for your first test.

I had a bad experience with a Cutlas, I set the cruise and it wound the motor, pumping the brakes didn't disengage it, by the time I turned the ignition off the damage was done. Not something I am in any hurry to relive with a matching numbers LX motor.

I had a bad experience with a Cutlas, I set the cruise and it wound the motor, pumping the brakes didn't disengage it, by the time I turned the ignition off the damage was done. Not something I am in any hurry to relive with a matching numbers LX motor.

Mike,

i got to say my cruise works good. As eric stated , a quick check of the system prior to testing and maybe test somewhere with lots of space. I understand your reluctance after your cutlas experience especially with a numbers matching lx motor. The cruise cutoff switch is easy to check. It works in conjunction with the brake switch. The cruise can also be dis engaged through the main engagement switch on the dash. These cruise control systems were pretty well made and thought out for their time in my opinion.

suerte,

arnulfo