Craigslist annoyance.

Guest 914Driver

Guest 914Driver

I get miffed when there's no price or even a ball park number on a car for sale. I emailed the seller of this 1941 Lincoln asking what sort of price he had in mind, "Price isn't set yet".

C'mon, YOU are selling the thing, YOU, not me, should come up with a number.

OK, I'm done; go back to work ......

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4510065976.html

There are a lot of uneducated and misled people on craigslist (people with no bank accounts, debit/credit cards, ways of managing money, that's why they are there), which can be hard to sift through, but it can certainly be worth it when you find something you need being sold by a person with common sense. Many would love to have an eBay account but can't because that requires financial responsibility. I found my parts car in California thanks to Craigslist.

It's even worse when you are selling something.

I recently listed 3 of my cars that are in the for sale section here on ebay. Someone local who also messes with old cars and sells them on ebay told me I put too much information in my listings and mentioned too many flaws.

He said let the potential buyers ask the questions. I told him I don't have that much time. If you have ever sold a car on ebay you know how many questions you get that could have been easily addressed in the original listing.

I guess he likes talking on the phone.

I recently listed 3 of my cars that are in the for sale section here on ebay. Someone local who also messes with old cars and sells them on ebay told me I put too much information in my listings and mentioned too many flaws.

He said let the potential buyers ask the questions. I told him I don't have that much time. If you have ever sold a car on ebay you know how many questions you get that could have been easily addressed in the original listing.

I guess he likes talking on the phone.

I think I would buy from you before I would buy from that "someone local" guy for sure.

I like the ads that have a "The Good" and "The Bad" format.

Guest 914Driver
It annoys me just as much when people on this site either cannot or will not read the rules when posting items in the for sale forum.

I just posted the above Lincoln for sale under the Lincoln threads; did I screw it up or was that a general type statement?

Dan

It's been my experience that Craig's List is full of bottom-feeders, the kind of people who have been chased out of garage sales for being jerks. I made the mistake early in my career of putting some cars on there and the offers came pouring in almost instantly. "I see you're asking $40,000, would you take $1500 CASH MONEY TODAY?" "I have a lawnmower and a broken snow blower, do you take trades?" "Nice car, I need the hubcaps, would you sell those to me?" "You're crazy asking that much but since I'm a nice guy, I'll offer you 50% of what you're asking and bail you out--limited time only, though."

Then there were the guys who actually showed up. "Nah, I didn't plan on buying it, I just wanted to see what it felt like to drive one of these." "Oh, well, I would have bought it but I see that there's a nick in the paint. I really wanted a perfect car." [Gets back in his 1984 Chevy Celebrity with a blown muffler and leaves].

I avoid Craig's List at all costs. The only place to find worse human beings is prison.

I love Craigslist. I don't sell much on it, but when I do, I've had nothing but good decent people show up. Even the other day when I advertised an old gas grille for FREE, the person that came and took it was a very decent young man. I've found several "steals" in collector car parts, including a couple of brand-new first-generation RX7 mag wheels.

The small amount of "annoyance" ads are easy to pass on.

If there's something you don't like about the ad, if there's no price, move on. The same could be said about someone who posts an ad on the AACA forum. Move on.

Jerks are found on all ends of the human spectrum. Bottom feeders (the term is rather derogatory, so I don't like using it) can be some of the nicest kindest people you ever meet. Maybe they don't look clean shaven, or talk well, but they are human, and usually humble. Anyone can be a jerk.

Hey, just a minute, guys, don't go putting words in my mouth!

I wasn't implying that people who look or talk a certain way are bottom-feeders, or even that all Craig's List users as a whole are bottom-feeders--obviously not everyone is awful. However, it has been my experience that Craig's List seems to bring out a great number of people with unreasonable expectations who treat me like I'm the jerk and get rude when I don't acquiesce to their inappropriate demands. Yes, I really did have a guy offer me $1500 for a restored 1955 Thunderbird then call me a f'ing a'hole when I wouldn't sell it to him--he even waived a pile of bills at me like I was a hungry dog. I don't need that. Respect goes two ways, you know.

I certainly don't turn anyone away because of how they look or talk or what they drive, because you never know who they are or who they know. But the moment someone offers me pennies on the dollar for something I'm selling, tells me what a piece of junk it is, nit-picks things because he thinks that's how you negotiate, then gets angry when I turn down their offer, well, THAT is what I consider a bottom-feeder, and it happens a lot whenever I use Craig's List. If your desire to save a few bucks is greater than your ability to respect other people, well, you might just be a bottom-feeder. It has nothing to do with where you come from, how you look, how you talk or anything like that; it's how you treat other people.

Perhaps there's a different meaning to "bottom-feeder" that I'm unaware of, because I'm using it interchangeably with "scumbag."

Jerks are found on all ends of the human spectrum. Bottom feeders (the term is rather derogatory, so I don't like using it) can be some of the nicest kindest people you ever meet. Maybe they don't look clean shaven, or talk well, but they are human, and usually humble. Anyone can be a jerk.

Amen!

I agree with West, just turn the channel, ignore, or move on...

It does tick me off when I don't see a price but I just don't waste a second of time with it if there is no phone number or price, I just X out.

When it comes to dealing with buyers most of my experience has been with good folks but I can tell when the scammers call because of their line of questioning and it's usually to see what else I have in my shop or other valuables.

I sell a lot of antique & refinished tools, refinished furniture and auto parts, and I noticed that if a potential buyer see's something in a photo that they want or is valuable (say my Miller welder in the back round as an example) then they want entrance to my shop to see what else I may have so for that reason I only take close-up photos of each item individually to eliminate the dirtballs. As Matt stated, there are quite a few that are fresh out of the joint and some have just arrived on American soil with I'll intent so it's a no brainer that those are the ones you never let come to the house, especially after hours....If I can't understand you Paco I'm sorry but we'll have to meet at the local Chevron parking lot so you can buy the sander.:) I'm not racist or prejudice I just don't trust those folks with a proven history of deception, no matter who they are. It only takes a few initial questions to weed out the scammers or the tire kickers from law abiding citizens looking for a good deal.

Craigslist is still a great place to buy and sell large heavy items locally but the smalls are almost always on ebay.

Well,,, better get back to work now !

Perhaps there's a different meaning to "bottom-feeder" that I'm unaware of, because I'm using it interchangeably with "scumbag."

Matt

No offense intended. Yes, I think you are using the term bottom feeder to mean something other than something what feeds on the bottom. Jerks and scumbags are... jerks and scumbags.

Well put West.

Sometimes honest, well-meaning people just do not know the value of what they are trying to sell. No one wants to play the fool and advertise something for $500, when it is worth $5,000. A "best offer" ad makes sense in this case, as would an Ebay auction with no reserve.

The annoying part is when individuals deliberately violate the rules of buy/sell opportunities such as those provided on this forum.

That Lincoln has been out on CL since January; my memory could be hazy but I think he actually had it priced at one point. Makes one wonder what it will take for the seller to feel he has enough info to price??

I scroll down through CL every morning when I get to my desk at work. I hit the report button on every listing that says one dollar. Those actually do get removed by the mods I also report dealers in the by owner section. If I list something for sale you can only respond to me by email and I will then decide if you are worthy of my time. I have found some amazing deals along with some bad people.

A couple of years ago one of my daughters wanted a small motorcycle to commute back and to work on. We talked to someone in <ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Columbus</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Ohio</st1:State></ST1:p which is 55 miles away and told them we would take what they were selling. We told them we did not want to drive that far and find it was already sold but when we got there someone was leaving with the motorcycle. It was in a very nice neighborhood and a nice looking home but the people who were living there were worse jerks than any poor people or down on their luck types. These well to do slobs had no morals and did not think that there would be any consequences for their actions. They were wrong and we were at their home.

Benjamin I have been in the same situation, in reverse. I find if I promise to hold an article for someone, most times they never show, and the rest of the time they don't buy, or try to chisel the price. So, I never hold an article. It's first come first served. BUT I will tell everyone this up front. I will not promise to hold something unless I mean it. If you come to look, that is up to you. If I still have it, great. If someone else comes up with the money, they get it.

I agree and do the same except when they are traveling an hour or two to get to my home. In that case I will hold an item. I don’t usually let anyone come to my home but sometimes it has to be done.

I am 55 years old and I grew up poor but when I gave my word to someone it was as good as gold. :)

That doesn't bother me near as much as the haughty sellers. You know, the ones that can be found on another website selling real old cars. I just love it when the ad ends with something like "price upon request" or "Substantial offers considered."

Remember the seller who vowed to scrap his parts if no one bought them for his selling price? By the way, he was asking waaaay too much.

Guest 914Driver

I unfortunately have ethics. When I was selling my '52 Dodge a guy called driving three hours, very interested. Another guy called an hour later willing to pay my price, be right there, no questions asked!

No. What if you got here just in time to see it pull off under new ownership? I'd be pissed f someone did that to me and don't do business that way.

The original guy passed, I called the second guy right in front of him saying C'mon down! I believe I sold it too low but I ask what I would want to pay.

I hate selling stuff ........ =~(

I had a C/L experience with some tires I had. A guy called me from about two hours away, we dickered a price and he was on his way.

I no sooner than hung up and another guy called and said he could be there in 20 minutes with the full price. I told him no they were already sold.

When the first guy showed up I told him right off that I had treated him right by passing on a higher offer. He looked at the tires and pulled some cash out of his pocket, handed it to me and started rolling tires.

I counted the $ and he was a hundred short. I called him on that and he didn't quibble a bit but went to the cab of his truck and grabbed another hundred. Then came back and blamed it on his wife.

This guy knew good and well that he shorted me. If I had been a little quicker thinking I would have sent him back home with an empty truck and called the guy with the full offer.

It just burns me when I don't think of 'what I should have done' a little quicker.

I agree and do the same except when they are traveling an hour or two to get to my home. In that case I will hold an item. I don’t usually let anyone come to my home but sometimes it has to be done.

I am 55 years old and I grew up poor but when I gave my word to someone it was as good as gold. :)

So is mine. That is why I don't promise to hold anything.

Is someone is unwilling to put a price on their merchandise I ignore their ads. If I go to a store and pick something up that the counter shows a certain price for and then the cashier scans it and it comes up higher I get sore and usually leave it. If I respond to an ad and the seller takes a couple of weeks to get back to me I don't bother to deal with them. As for Waffle house, I have had one experience with it and was never tempted to go back. I drove from Florida and got very tired and sleepy and stopped at a Waffle House in NC about 4:00 am to get something to eat and hopefully get refreshed so I could continue driving. The place was packed with creeps that did not lok honest or moral and I doubt any of them worked for a living. I could not even get to the counter to place an order. I left hungry and tired just like I went in and I said if that is the clientele Waffle House has I do not want to go back.

Craigslist is the best place to buy & sell a vehicle

All of my Ford F350 trucks have been found there

All of the vehicles I have sold have been thru there

Folks who expect something for nothing always seem to complain when they get WHAT they paid for .....

Jim

How do you all handle the guy that places a local wanted ad? I saw one for an " I buy boat motors". Call xxx-xxx-xxxx, I called. And told him I had one still attached to the boat, make a reasonable offer. He texted back $ 1.00. I responded get realistic, come look, bring cash, take it home. Never heard from him again. LOL.

Based on the amount of response to my "Wanted: Model "A" daily driver" ad in the local Craigslist no one ever contacts them.

That said - I always look at those ads as either someone trying to buy something valuable for nothing or just interested in seeing what else I might have so I never call them.

Guest Gary Hearn

I have found and disposed of all sorts of items with the assistance of Craigslist. I also collect chainsaws and look almost daily for potential acquisitions. Nowadays most of my purchases are long distance, never had a problem until 2 weeks ago when a punk in Ft. Worth took my money and disappeared.

Like anything else, you need to work through the chaff to get to the grain. Those that ignore Craigslist just serve to lessen the competition for what I want.

Edited by Gary Hearn (see edit history)

I just ran into my biggest CL buggaboo again today. It's the ad for something you want to buy, you read through a thorough description that sounds good,..., and at the end they demand to be emailed a phone number only so that they can call you to buy their thing. If that doesn't spell scam I don't know what does. I can understand being hesitant to sell online to someone through an email only, and/or wanting to screen people who contact you for an item. However who would just hand out their phone number to a completely anonymous entity with nothing more than a temporary CL email?:confused:

BTW, never meet ANYONE to sell an item at your home. One of my best friends had his car trailer stolen the night he listed it on CL and agreed to show it to someone the next day. That night the "buyer" stole it. I usually use the McDonalds down the street, meeting people there. I'm sure there are other horror stories as well.

Also, if you want to have fun someday go to Waffle House and order the large tossed salad. (Yup, there's one on the menu!) I ordered one from the head waitress at a training Waffle House. (There were at least 3 people being trained for other restaurants at the time.) After 10 minutes she finally broke down and called the manager on his cell to ask how to make one. "How do you make a large salad?" was ringing through that place longer than it took me to eat the plate of lettuce I got. I guess waffle joints don't sell too many salads!

;)