Air Conditioning

Guys,

The a/c no longer blows cold. My guess is the coolant has leaked out (will take it next week to the mechanic to confirm). Can I still get the same type of refrigerant oil as was originally in there? If not, what kinds of mods have to be done to accept the newer refrigerants?

TIA,

yellowdog

Guys,

The a/c no longer blows cold. My guess is the coolant has leaked out (will take it next week to the mechanic to confirm). Can I still get the same type of refrigerant oil as was originally in there? If not, what kinds of mods have to be done to accept the newer refrigerants?

TIA,

yellowdog

If you have the origional R12 charge you can still get recovered R12 and all systems eventually leak a little, so if you only need a small amouint, a few ounces to a pound of R12 will cost less than converting the system. If you need more than a pound convert to 134a. You can get a conversion kit on-line for a fairly reasonable price. If you mechanic is checking your freon and finds it needs half a charge, don't just dump your charge to the open air. Have your mechanic do your prep for the remaining R12. He will suck your system down from pressure to vacuum and save your R12 to a big can and someone else who needs a few ounces can put it to good use. With that done all you need to do is screw down the adaptor ends, follow the conversion kit instructions and start making ice cubes.

Of course if your system has sprung a real leak and not just oozed out as they do with use and time, you will need parts.

Guest TCBucky89

My A/C only blows cold when I have it on RECIRC. When I put it on the lowest cool setting, it blows really hot air!!!!

My A/C only blows cold when I have it on RECIRC. When I put it on the lowest cool setting, it blows really hot air!!!!

That sounds like the universal, all makes, all models, classic air box damper problem. If you're lucky its a vacuum connection to, or the heater controll, if not, you're in for a close up view of the underside of your dash.

Guest TCBucky89

Anything special to look for? I will have the center part of the dash out to change the stereo, so I may be able to check out the A/C at that time.

Anything special to look for? I will have the center part of the dash out to change the stereo, so I may be able to check out the A/C at that time.

Start looking for things that are cracked, broken or missing and if everything looks right start the engine, pull the main vacuum line and check for vacuum. Don't forget to check the check valve, then log onto rockauto.com and get yourself a new blue shop manual, sounds like you need one and it will be $47 well spent. They also sell hood struts $22 and sometimes the storage lid strut $17. Don't forget to shop partsgeek.com they sometimes have what others doon't.

Guest GregTC

Also look at the coolant control valve make sure its turning off the coolant to the heater core its mounted below the battery and the cruise control

Also look at the coolant control valve make sure its turning off the coolant to the heater core its mounted below the battery and the cruise control

Hey Greg; Bucky didn't mention if the air was hot with the vent on cool and the AC off, but he has mentioned in other postings that he's had the 5 door turbo and a Lebaron convertible, so I assumed [and we all know what that means] that he knows how the heater controll works and would have checked this first.

Good catch on my oversight.

Guest TCBucky89

I will check, and double check all these tips and hints. Looking at something more than once is usually a good idea before making any drastic decisions!! Thanks for the help, guys. I really welcome all the input I can get!