Sign in to follow this  
Buick36-49

1936 Buick Special Steering Box rebuild

1936 Buick Special Steering Box rebuild

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good steering box rebuild company for my 1936 Buick Special?

I have a lot of end play in the wheel and am experiencing “death wobble” a lot.

Thanks

Robert

If your having "death wobble" I would first check to be sure the play your having is in the gear. Point your tires strait forward and have a friend turn the input shaft. If the output shaft turns at the same time as the input shaft then your problem is elsewhere. This is only a good test if the steering gear is centered so you will want to make sure the tires are pointing strait forward.

Thanks Dan for your reply, well what happens is that that when you turn the steering wheel left/right, the wheel moves a lot before the pitman arm starts to move, I've tried adjusting the box and still have the same results. and the the car wonders a lot while driving, then a bump comes a long and it's the dreaded death wobble. I've replace the outer tie rods and will be doing the inner soon. But still the worm inside the box seems to have a lot of "end play".

Robert

Dan's company just rebuilt a gear for my 56 Buick, and I am VERY SATISFIED!!! Great company to do business with. And no, I do not work for Dan, just happy to pass along a recommendation for a company that does what it says it will do.

Dan's company just rebuilt a gear for my 56 Buick, and I am VERY SATISFIED!!! Great company to do business with. And no, I do not work for Dan, just happy to pass along a recommendation for a company that does what it says it will do.

John, Thanks for the recommendation. I am going to go with Dans company as soon as I get the $$ and time to do the job of removing the steering column. The idiot I bought the car from had it about 35 years and never maintained it in any way. Ran the box dry and I’m sure the rollers are really worn. I took off the oil filer and it was dry and rusty. Car really wonders and you have to constantly over correct it. Plus death wobble, scares me.

Thanks again.

Robert

Thanks again for the kind words John!

You're welcome Dan, what is the best steering gear lubrication to use. My '49 Super box is in good shape and no slop.

Thanks

Robert