Dash lights not working

Yohdda

Hello again!

So I have noticed that my dash lights do not work on my 57 buick. I have checked all of the fuses and they seem to be ok, and the bulbs check out ok as well. The park light and head light turn on just fine. And I have tried turning the "lights" dial left and right to see if they were turned down, and that didn't work.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Or, is there anything I can check since I have my top dash off? Could it be a faulty light switch?

Thanks!

Chances are the rheostat on the lite switch is making poor contact because of corrosion. If you're feeling ambitious remove and disassemble the switch. Gently bead blast the rheostat wires and clean up the wiper. It should work like new. After you get it working turn it through it's full range from time to time to keep it working...................Bob

I agree with above posts. Another quick check is to verify that the dash wiring is hooked to the correct terminals on the switch as well. Currently working thru dash lighting on my '50 Special and found that Map Lights and Dash/Accessory Lights were on wrong terminals thus dimming/not dimming when they weren't supposed to, or, not going on/off when supposed to based on switch position. Wires may have been moved years ago, when above rheostat corrosion/"crud build-up" became a problem. I used some CRC electrical switch cleaner on the terminals and rheostat. Seems to move a little more freely and the lights turn on/off/dim a little more crisply than before.