Is 1 of 1 rare?

Guest Leroyboy597

Guest Leroyboy597

So what I get from most of the comments here is the featured and numbered cars, in the Retro TBird line, like the NM and the 007, are not rare or worth any more than any other TBird from those years, even a one of one. And that's OK with me. I just don't agree with the idea that a 2002 NM is rarer and worth more than a 2004 one of one because it's not a featured numbered car.

Bottom line is my 1 of 1 is a nice little Black Ford roadster with red and black leather seats, V-8 engine and dual exhausts. And I love it!

That should be reason enough for anyone to admire it ;

whether it's one-of-one or one-of-million

Have fun with it !

Show us some more pictures!

I just don't agree with the idea that a 2002 NM is rarer and worth more than a 2004 one of one because it's not a featured numbered car.

Just because something is "rare" (or even one of a kind) doesn't mean it's valuable or "worth more."

Rarity can help drive value up, but is not the only factor by any means and plenty of rare stuff isn't terribly valuable at all.

Just don't put too much stock in something being "rare..." there's more to it than that.

Rare and desirable in a car is great when you can find it. If that's what you want try to buy a Mercer Raceabout or a pre-1916 Pierce-Arrow. I'll predict that a car like yours will be quite the find in 40 years and cost more than garden-variety 2000-2009 Corvettes.

a 2004 T-Bird is one year newer than the newest car I own (my daily driver 2003 Durango).

If, I was in the market for a 2004 I would use NADA as my guide.

Here's what the NADA guide says what I might expect to pay for a hypothetical 2004 TBird with 42,000 miles.

[TABLE=class: tbl-pricing used-pricing, width: 630]

<tbody>[TR]

[TH=align: right] [/TH]

[TH=class: help, align: right]Rough

Trade-In[/TH]

[TH=class: help, align: right]Average

Trade-In[/TH]

[TH=class: help, align: right]Clean

Trade-In[/TH]

[TH=class: help, align: right]Clean

Retail[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Base Price[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$7,625[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$9,300[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$10,700[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$13,850[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: heightNew]

[TD]Mileage (42,000)[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$4,375[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: tbl-pricing-total-new]

[TD]Total Base Price[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$12,000[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$13,675[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$15,075[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$18,225[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: heightNew]

[TD]Options: (change)[/TD]

[TD=align: right] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: option-row]

[TD]Hard Top[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$400[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$450[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: tbl-pricing-total-new]

[TD]Price with Options[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$12,400[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$14,075[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$15,475[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$18,675[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

link; http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2004/Ford/Thunderbird-V8/Convertible-2D

Edited by bhambulldog
added link (see edit history)

I remember the 76 Eldo very clearly because at the time it was going to be the "Last Convertible". My dad ended up getting a very nice one in 77. If my numbers are right, it was around 25k to buy a nice low mileage car in 77. That was quite a premium on the new car price of 15k. These days I think you can buy the best one in the world for 25k. The real value of today's 25k in 1977 dollars is probably around 12k so things have not only not gone up, but backwards. My first lesson in "Instant Collectibles".

I remember the 76 Eldo very clearly because at the time it was going to be the "Last Convertible". My dad ended up getting a very nice one in 77. If my numbers are right, it was around 25k to buy a nice low mileage car in 77. That was quite a premium on the new car price of 15k. These days I think you can buy the best one in the world for 25k. The real value of today's 25k in 1977 dollars is probably around 12k so things have not only not gone up, but backwards. My first lesson in "Instant Collectibles".

I think that's where these Thunderbirds will end up. EVERYONE bought it as a collectable and they all have relatively low mileage. There will always be more for sale than there is demand for them and prices will stay low. That's not to say they're not pleasant cars with a great look, but it's a mistake to call them an investment or count on rarity adding value. They'll always be worth about what they're worth now and if you want one, you'll always be able to get a nice one in just about any color you want.

Come to think of it, it's almost EXACTLY like the original Thunderbird.

The real question is, is this 10 year car appreciating in value or is it still depreciating?

In 2004 my Dad toyed with the idea of buying a new T-Bird. My Mother nixed the idea because the TBird wouldn't have room to give grandchildren a ride.

Dad got a new 2004 Lincoln TownCar instead.

That Town Car has lost more than 80% of its value.

In comparison, The 2004 T-Bird is doing much better in maintaining value.

Bulldog, a "Birds nest option" might have been the answer but even back in 2004 it would have been unthinkable by the safety police to put the grandkids in a contraption like this, from a '57 Tbird:

52d8b9e90f50e.jpg

The t-bird to town car is not really a fair comparison as one is a collectible and one is an every day car. When I think of t-birds I think of Suzanne Sommers.

My mention of the Town Car was to show how a purchase choice between two different 2004 cars that had divergent directions in value.

Most (all?) that bought the retro T-Birds were buying the new car as a collector car. And, that is what they remain today, a collector car. It goes without saying, that is a reason they hold the value.

A Town Car contrastly is just another car, as you said.

I think the comparison is applicable because, It was a real choice that my Dad made. Between purchasing a T-Bird and a Town Car.

Edited by bhambulldog
sp (see edit history)

Bulldog, a "Birds nest option" might have been the answer but even back in 2004 it would have been unthinkable by the safety police to put the grandkids in a contraption like this, from a '57 Tbird:

52d8b9e90f50e.jpg

I think I remember seeing one of those many years ago....

I don't know if Mom would put her grandchildren in that seat....

Maybe she would have put Dad back there ....