Passenger side door window

arnulfo de l.a.

any one ever remove the glass from the metal carrier it sits in? if so, how did you do it? im attempting to remove mine because the guild arm that attaches to the other rail is broken. the glass is very tight in the carrier. could be the rubber that is between the carrier and glass is bonded to both now . i dont want to break the glass trying to remove it. thinking of applying heat. how much heat can i apply without risking damage to the glass?

gracias,

arnulfo

The 65 is just bolted together (forget which year you have), I have not found a source for new rubber though. I have read numerous times though that the rear pivot mount is not needed for proper window operation and lots of folks are not using theirs. But I understand if you are making yours 100%.

The 65 is just bolted together (forget which year you have), I have not found a source for new rubber though. I have read numerous times though that the rear pivot mount is not needed for proper window operation and lots of folks are not using theirs. But I understand if you are making yours 100%.

Alini, the one on the driver side is bolted on but the passenger side window is mounted differently.

Arnulfo

Alini, the one on the driver side is bolted on but the passenger side window is mounted differently.

Arnulfo

Both sides should be the same for any given year. '63 was press fit, '64 / '65 was bolted on. It appears that some PO did some swapping. I've got my '64 apart and the '63 in the shop is apart as well. The lower arm on 3 of the 4 windows is broken. I'm pretty sure that arm/guide is used to adjust the fit of the window at the top seal. I have an idea that they get broken because people used the glass to shut the door rather than the door handle. Pressure on the top of the glass when the door is open would cause the lower pot metal arm to break. There's a big leverage difference between the two pieces, and the pot metal will break before the glass does.

Ed

Both sides should be the same for any given year. '63 was press fit, '64 / '65 was bolted on. It appears that some PO did some swapping. I've got my '64 apart and the '63 in the shop is apart as well. The lower arm on 3 of the 4 windows is broken. I'm pretty sure that arm/guide is used to adjust the fit of the window at the top seal. I have an idea that they get broken because people used the glass to shut the door rather than the door handle. Pressure on the top of the glass when the door is open would cause the lower pot metal arm to break. There's a big leverage difference between the two pieces, and the pot metal will break before the glass does.

Ed

The change in type of attachment was made during the `64 model year build/run so it is possible to find one style or the other in a `64. I would think it highly unlikely one would find both styles in any one car but it is possible. If that is what it took to complete a build or deplete stock I`m sure it could have happened.

IMO the arms break because the pivot seizes...pot metal with a steel pivot. When the arm is broken the glass will flop around and cock in the tracks. The window will most likely still operate, especially if the felt lining in the tracks is worn out, but it is obvious if the arm is broken...the glass is very "loose".

Tom Mooney

• 7 years later...

Just removed the driver side door skin on my 63. the window did operate up and down easy, but it feels loose and did rattle in the channels. I found the previous owner already removed the Most likely broken window guide arm. Some nuts of The window channel assembly were loose and the felt lining in tracks is worn. Is there a source for new channel felt lining ?  Does anybody has dimensions of the guiding arm, to fabricate a repro?

21780E54-0E60-4BFF-8E2E-4D03F09A9CF0.jpeg

D9D8303C-687B-460C-BB8F-68B82C352BED.jpeg

Edited by OldGerman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OldGerman said:

Just removed the driver side door skin on my 63. the window did operate up and down easy, but it feels loose and did rattle in the channels. I found the previous owner already removed the Most likely broken window guide arm. Some nuts of The window channel assembly were loose and the felt lining in tracks is worn. Is there a source for new channel felt lining ?  Does anybody has dimensions of the guiding arm, to fabricate a repro?

21780E54-0E60-4BFF-8E2E-4D03F09A9CF0.jpeg

D9D8303C-687B-460C-BB8F-68B82C352BED.jpeg

2nd the question about the channel felts, is there an available source?

54 minutes ago, DrownedRiv said:

2nd the question about the channel felts, is there an available source?

I know that the vent window division channel felt is sold by Steele Rubber and Rubber the Right Way. Maybe CARS, Inc. as well. I also believe that they sell the material for the backside window channel as well.

Bill

• Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 7:52 PM, telriv said:

They are made of a better material than the cast components they replace.  I've installed a couple & I feel it's a bolt-in swap other than nec. adjustments.

James has saved my bacon with seat track slides. He sources many 'much needed parts' for our projects.

I purchased Pivots from him as well.

https://bestoffercounts.com/product/63-64-65-buick-riviera-door-window-track-pivot-arm-pair-w-roller-1963-1964-1965/

image.png.c03ab5e3c02f4ec218d7735754c05bd1.png

7 hours ago, XframeFX said:

James has saved my bacon with seat track slides. He sources many 'much needed parts' for our projects.

I purchased Pivots from him as well.

https://bestoffercounts.com/product/63-64-65-buick-riviera-door-window-track-pivot-arm-pair-w-roller-1963-1964-1965/

image.png.c03ab5e3c02f4ec218d7735754c05bd1.png

The repros are twice the price I quote on excellent used pivots....good value? At least the repros are there for someone with no other options...

Tom Mooney

I would advise against trying to pull the glass out of the channel if it's taped in. My early 64 had press fit glass, and it was all loose. I retaped it, and the fit was very tight. But over time, they've came loose again. Absolute PIA. So much so, that I bought another pair of door glass with solid attached channels.