OLD CAR PRICE GUIDE HELP

edinmass

In Mass when we buy a antique car they charge us sales tax on the figure published in the Old Cars Price Guide. Yes, even if you pay 1000.00 for a car and the guide lists the value at 10,000.00 you pay sales tax on the 10 grand. That's why you should not live here. Anyway, I just bought a 1915 Ford T and would like to know the price guide values currently listed in the guide. Even if your copy is 6 or 12 months old it will give me a ball park idea. Could someone please post a photo of the 15 Ford listing, or type it for me. We no longer have news stands to purchase a magazine here anymore. Thanks, Ed

What body? Cheapest is Ctr dr sedan which doesn't make sense to me, but that is how they list them.

#6 800 #5 2580 #4 4300 #3 9680 #2 15050 #1 21500

Most expensive, Conv Cpe about 50% higher. Other models in between.

Price Guide of January 2013 which is the newest I have on hand.

Thanks guys.....It's a nice car. Last owner got sick right after a T guru did the entire motor and transmission. I have receipts for 10K on the work done less than 20 miles ago. It also has new tires all around. Learned how to start and drive it on you tube. Car runs well and goes down the road great. I was most interested in it as it's as it was when it left the factory......all 1915 components, even has the factory exhaust on it still.

In Mass when we buy a antique car they charge us sales tax on the figure published in the Old Cars Price Guide. Yes, even if you pay 1000.00 for a car and the guide lists the value at 10,000.00 you pay sales tax on the 10 grand. That's why you should not live here. Anyway, I just bought a 1915 Ford T and would like to know the price guide values currently listed in the guide.

I can understand your thinking and I can understand your frustration with the sales tax laws of Massachusetts, but on the other hand the citizens and their representatives have created one of the most extensive social support programs in the country and it has to be paid for through taxes of all kinds. This particular kind of law is to prevent people from dodging taxes by recording sales far below market value, though I am sure you are not one of these people in this case. There are similar sales tax laws in many other states and there are also property tax laws in many states for when you bring a car into their state - even when you are only moving into their state. And there are also Federal laws such as a person who sells something for more than what they originally paid for it, and also when you give something as a gift to someone (I do not recall the amount but I think it is around $15,000 where the recipient has to account for any value over that amount as income on their income taxes for that year.

Guest AlCapone

If it is indeed a # 3 I personally would not be paying near $ 17,000 dollars. I think the $12,000 range is closer to reality. There is a very small number of people looking to buy a 3 pedal Model T. Those of us that have them know the value is very low and that we rarely will ever get our investment back. I recently attended an auction of a solid # 2 1924 Roadster and only 40 people attended. I was high bid at $5500 dollars.

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

The problem with the state charging via the value guide is that (1) the value guide is more than likely incorrect, and (2) the people in the state department have no idea the true condition code rating of your car. Obviously they'll try to tax you on a #1 condition car if they can. Other states have tried to jam this law into affect, but got defeated because people fought it.

Lots of things in Wisconsin are screwed up but our Motor Vehicle Department isn't one of them.......thankfully.

When we buy old cars here we report the sale price which the department may or may not check. When and if they check it's very infrequently.

We pay the tax on the reported purchase price.

We don't have to suffer though inspections or any other hoop jumping.

Of course the above applies only if one is registering a vehicle with a good title.

If you are asking for special plates like ANTIQUE or COLLECTOR photographic proof may or may not be requested but I include photos of all four sides, the dash and engine compartment so as not to delay things.