Sticking gas pedal on 1932

tigersdad

I brought the '32 80-86 out fro a drive last night and when I gave her gas the pedal seemed to have stuck and the car took off like a "bat out of hell"! I was able to reach down and pull the gas pedal back so thought I would use the throttle on the steering wheel and the same thing happened. I was, once again, able to reach down and pull the peddle back up. It doesn't fall tot eh floor, just seems to get stuck. I've attached a couple of pictures and was wondering if I am missing a spring the attaches to the cowl or do I need to tighten the spring on the other side of the arm as shown in the pictures. Thanks!

Jay Kingston

Novato, CA

1932 Model 8-86 Victoria Travelers Coupepost-58342-143142573955_thumb.jpgpost-58342-143142573955_thumb.jpg

post-58342-143142573981_thumb.jpg

OK, any guy with a 32 ? Mr. Engle ? He asked me, I'm a year newer, different deal I think.

Jay

I will look at my '32 tomorrow to see if I can help. Its a 32-67 but I assume that there not too many differences from the 67 to the 86. I will see if I can send some photos to you. We are leaving for Lincoln NE on Wednesday so it might be after we get back. I will try to get it to you before we leave, but ........well you know. Anyone else headed to the Lincoln meet?

Later,

Jay: I would start by disconnecting the linkage from the gas pedal and the hand throttle. Try moving the cross shaft through the heat riser that controls the butterflies. I think you will find this is binding. If the problem is not there, I would next check the firewall mounted bracket at the pivot pin to see if it is binding. I wouldn't suspect the spring as it had been working for you and now is binding at one of the pivot points.

The heat control linkage is also tied in to the throttle linkage. It is difficult to see as it is on the engine side of the carb. You may find that the heat control linkage is binding and causing your problem.

Bob Engle

post-58342-143142581066_thumb.jpgBob, these are the parts you are talking about, correct? I want to ask you if the rod between the heat control linkage and the riser flap should be straight or bent? It seems that it had slightly bent when all this occurred. Also, is there a spring that should be attached to the rod at the riser flap end near there at the front closest to the radiator end of the car? Thanks! J

post-58342-14314258106_thumb.jpg

post-58342-143142581063_thumb.jpg

This heat riser stuff gets confusing. At the exhaust diverter (front of engine, connected to exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe) the linkage would be vertical with the heat control off. There are 2 springs at the exhaust diverter, one on each side of the shaft. the springs ride on the shaft to prevent the shaft from jumping around from the exhaust gases acting on the butterfly inside. The linkage from diverter to the heat riser is straight and there are no springs to control the linkage.

The operation of the heat control is best explained in the Specifications and adjustments manual for 1932 Buicks. The heat control works from the manual dash adjustment and as the throttle is opened, the exhaust is cammed off. If the cam is binding, it could cause the throttle to stick. I would disconnect the heat control linkage and see if that affects your throttle sticking problem. The spring in the first picture is correct and is there to act as a damper on the shaft. With regard to the bend in the linkage, it is common to see bends in the carb linakage as they were mishandled over the years. With the linkage from the dash disconnected, you should be able to turn the cam by hand.

There have been several threads on the heat risers in the past. Most people disconnect them and plug the pipe from the diverter to going to the heat riser. Modern fuels vaporize mush better than 1932 gas.

I hope I haven't confused you. There are not many good photos of this area.

Bob Engle

Thanks, Bob! No, you haven't confused me. It makes absolute sense that this is what may be causing the problem by the rod not pushing the flap back into place on the heat riser. I will look at both ways you have described, both in this response and the previous response. The way you've described it brings the problem full circle and the picture is now very clear! Again, "Thank You" for you help and assistance!

Jay

Novato, CA

Bob -

After letting the car sit for a week, I went back to it and the problem was EXACTLY what you had said, the "heat control linkage". It appears that the linkage was binding as the butterfly inside the riser was sticking. I disconnected it and tied the rod in the open position. The gas pedal jumps back as it should and the throttle on the steering wheel operates as intended. I will leave it as is until I can find the piece between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe that the butterfly sits in as to not break a part that make take years to find! Thanks again for all you input and help on this! Do you know where I might find that one unit with the butterfly between the two? Thanks! Jay

Jay Kingston

Novato, CA