transmission oil cooler 65 rivi gs

arnulfo de l.a.

i have one on my car. did they come from the factory with these coolers installed? i don't have a tow hitch on my car and it does not appear to have ever had one. i was thinking of removing the tranny cooler only because it just seems to add a unnecessary obstruction to the radiator especially since its on top or the ac condenser. the car does not overheat at present . i also noticed that i have the fan clutch without the coil spring on the front so i will be changing that out soon. i dont want to wait until a heating problem arises. also going to get a new 4 row radiator from us radiators. i want my car to run as cool as possible.

gracias

arnulfo

The only transmission cooler that came from the factory is the tank at the bottom of the radiator. My '63 had an auxiliary trans cooler mounted when I got it. I left it on for a long time, until I installed new lines. The PO was towing an Airstream trailer and I had already removed the electric trailer brakes and receiver so I felt that it was not needed. However, the cooler was mounted horizontally behind the radiator and secured to the frame. The fins were exposed to air, but did not interfere with any flow through the radiator. It must have worked or the PO would not have installed it. There was no record of any transmission work in the papers I got and I know that I never had problems with it - other than some leaky seals.

If I were you, I wouldn't discard it if it's there, but I might consider repositioning it away from the radiator.

Ed

The ST400 trannys are very reliable though heat is its #1 enemy as is the case with most automatics. The auxiliary trans cooler will only ad to your trannys life. If you aren't concerned about authentic appearance, I would leave it as long as its in good condition. Especially if no cooling problem now and you plan to switch to a 4 row.

I am assuming its plumbed in series with the integral radiator tranny cooler?

Guest clamshells
i have one on my car. did they come from the factory with these coolers installed? i don't have a tow hitch on my car and it does not appear to have ever had one. i was thinking of removing the tranny cooler only because it just seems to add a unnecessary obstruction to the radiator especially since its on top or the ac condenser. the car does not overheat at present . i also noticed that i have the fan clutch without the coil spring on the front so i will be changing that out soon. i dont want to wait until a heating problem arises. also going to get a new 4 row radiator from us radiators. i want my car to run as cool as possible.

gracias

arnulfo

Arnulfo,

Which of the 4 core radiators: Standard, High Efficiency or Optima are you going with and why?

i think i will leave the cooler on as advised.yes jason it is installed in series with the radiator tank.

clamshells,when i do make the purchase it will be the high efficiency model. reason being, 20%more heat transfer points and also because a member of this forum has installed one and is happy with it.i want to get as much cooling as i can get without doing any modifications. as many have said here heat is an enemy to these motors. i want to do whatever i can to extend the life of this motor without doing a rebuild or overhaul. thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

arnulfo