Convertible rear window

Guest Bob Barrow

Guest Bob Barrow

My convertible rear window broke while putting it down. I have made a plexiglass replacement for now & was wondering what type of glue(contact cement) one could use to cement the velcro that surrounds the window(shiny black backing,after cleaning off broken glass). Also lower part of new window needs to be glued to bottom horizontal fabric. Would there be a different glue for that Has anybody actually replaced the glass assy? If so ,how much work? There is some info in the service manual, but not great. Thanks, Bob Barrow

My convertible rear window broke while putting it down. I have made a plexiglass replacement for now & was wondering what type of glue(contact cement) one could use to cement the velcro that surrounds the window(shiny black backing,after cleaning off broken glass). Also lower part of new window needs to be glued to bottom horizontal fabric. Would there be a different glue for that Has anybody actually replaced the glass assy? If so ,how much work? There is some info in the service manual, but not great. Thanks, Bob Barrow

Replacing the glass can de done by one, but should be a two man job with one that knows what to do and the helping hand when needed makes it an easy job. Writing out instructions to do this would take a couple of pages and the best thing you could find is a how to on u-tube.

Not to sure what to say about plexiglass; Plexiglass is like the Crescent Wrench, we all know what it is from the name, but quality is not the same. Can't say that I've ever even seen a soft top window replaced with hard plastic, if I have, it was done so well that I couldn't tell from a distance and I don't know if 3M window weld will attach to, or eat through and you will want to test this on piece that doesn't matter before you get to carried away.

Something to keep in mind is that this stuff is icky, sticky, messy and for you're first time doing this you might want to be the helping hand for someone that has done this before.

Guest p38nut

I am in the process of replacing the rear window with a plexiglas one(old one exploded while lowering glass) Does anybody have any dimensions or info as to correct location of hinge brackets that are to be secured to new window? It seems important that they be placed correctly in order to push window assy. against velcro properly. Thanks,,Bob

Guest p38nut
I am in the process of replacing the rear window with a plexiglas one(old one exploded while lowering glass) Does anybody have any dimensions or info as to correct location of hinge brackets that are to be secured to new window? It seems important that they be placed correctly in order to push window assy. against velcro properly. Thanks,,Bob

I am in need of this info too. My hinge came off the glass. Can I use the same 3m urethane glue to reattach it to the glass? Thanks. Mike

I am in need of this info too. My hinge came off the glass. Can I use the same 3m urethane glue to reattach it to the glass? Thanks. Mike

Yes you can use this goo, or you can use a jellied super glue. Not the free flowing glue your fingers together liquid that will be all over everything when you tilt the mounting surface to meet the glass, use the jellied like model airplane cement super glue. The goo made for bonding with glass and fabric will do this job, the goo made for this job does it better and super glue will do it good enough to get it done, but you might have to do it again in a year or two.

Why would you use a glue that you know won't last forever? You can't buy the good stuff by the teaspoon, you get the whole tube to do a job that takes less goo than you scrape off the nail you used to break the seal on the tube. Super glue is sold by the teaspoon and for what this stuff costs; even if you have to redoo this every year, it will take ten years to break even.