Correct 65 tires

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

I have found a 775X15 7/8" whitewall bias ply tire is NCRS acceptable on all 62-66 cars. Who is running bias ply tires? Who has used both radial and bias ply on their 1st Gen's and what are differences in ride, stopping and cornering?

I can't find a USA made radial tire with a 7/8" WW or even a 3/4" WW in a 225/70/15 or a 215/75/15 (3/4" or 1" WW is close enough for me).

Hey Tom do you remember seeing any new 65's with the Gold Stripe or Red Stripe tire?

15"-775x15 Goodyear Power Cushion 7/8"WW 1965 only?

Edited by clamshells
needed to edit (see edit history)

Mike, I haven't driven Bias Ply Tires in a long time (35 years) but as I recall when radials came on the market way back then, the cornering, stability and general driving got better. On my 65 Riviera I have 215 75R15 tires and I like the tires. I do have a set of Bias Ply Tires in the garage but they are very old and I wouldn't trust driving on them.

The tires in the 1965 Buick Brochures show a three stripe whitewall. I have attached a few pictures that I took of the brochures. If you blow them up you can see the three stripes. I also have a Dealer Option Brochure from '65 and they have an 8.45x15 tire optionally listed. That cross-references to 225-75R15 according to Diamond Backs site. Not exactly sure what the standard tire was, my guess is the ones in the brochure pictures are the optional tire.

Here are the pictures:

post-95345-143142571336_thumb.jpg

Rock On

gord

post-95345-143142571291_thumb.jpg

post-95345-14314257132_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142571291_thumb.jpg

post-95345-14314257132_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142571336_thumb.jpg

Mike, I haven't driven Bias Ply Tires in a long time (35 years) but as I recall when radials came on the market way back then, the cornering, stability and general driving got better. On my 65 Riviera I have 215 75R15 tires and I like the tires. I do have a set of Bias Ply Tires in the garage but they are very old and I wouldn't trust driving on them.

The tires in the 1965 Buick Brochures show a three stripe whitewall. I have attached a few pictures that I took of the brochures. If you blow them up you can see the three stripes. I also have a Dealer Option Brochure from '65 and they have an 8.45x15 tire optionally listed. That cross-references to 225-75R15 according to Diamond Backs site. Not exactly sure what the standard tire was, my guess is the ones in the brochure pictures are the optional tire.

Here are the pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]253864[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]253865[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]253866[/ATTACH]

Rock On

gord

Blackwall tires were standard equipment. Optional and correct whitewall tires for the `65 were/are 8:45 X 15 triple stripe white walls. There was no oversize tire option for the `65 Riviera as in `63 and `64. The standard tire in `65 equates, in size, to the optional tire for the 2 previous years.

Before anyone breaks out the factory brochures and busts my chops realize the tire size formulas were changed from `64 into `65...so, a 7.60 by `64 standards turned into an 8:45 according to the new `65 standards. Sez so on the side walls of my original triple whites.

Tom

I have found a 775X15 7/8" whitewall bias ply tire is NCRS acceptable on all 62-66 cars. Who is running bias ply tires? Who has used both radial and bias ply on their 1st Gen's and what are differences in ride, stopping and cornering?

I can't find a USA made radial tire with a 7/8" WW or even a 3/4" WW in a 225/70/15 or a 215/75/15 (3/4" or 1" WW is close enough for me).

Hey Tom do you remember seeing any new 65's with the Gold Stripe or Red Stripe tire?

15"-775x15 Goodyear Power Cushion 7/8"WW 1965 only?

Hi Mike,

I know of no factory equipped red line or gold stripe tire in `65. The red lines did become available in `66.

In `65`s I have found two tire types, both triple white walls. They were equipped with Goodyear Power Cushions and Firestone (cant recall the tire model at the moment). The combination of white stripes on the Goodyear, which I have here at the house and just measured, is exactly 1 inch.

Tom

Here are the pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]253864[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]253865[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]253866[/ATTACH]

Rock On

gord

Hi Gordon,

I was under the impression a `65 8:45 converts to slightly larger than a 215/75 modern radial but not quite as large as a 225?? Is that correct? Is the tire chart you are referencing for post `64 tire sizes? Thanks,

Tom

Guest clamshells

I found a triple white 900-15, it is over 1" too tall :(. So far the only 215/75/15 with a 3/4" WW is made in China, the USA are 1.3" or 3/8". Blackwall radials are more available & sounding better but the Gold Stripe might look good on Goldie.

Hi Gordon,

I was under the impression a `65 8:45 converts to slightly larger than a 215/75 modern radial but not quite as large as a 225?? Is that correct? Is the tire chart you are referencing for post `64 tire sizes? Thanks,

Tom

Tom I used these two charts to come up with the 225 - TIRE RACK and DBTIRE. Click on the links to see my reference.

Rock On

gord

Diamond Back will make any whitewall size you want on a radial.....but it won't be USA made as you are finding few are these days.

I ran bias tires for 8 years on a 67 in the interest of authenticity. In hindsight and while it seemed like a good idea at the time, it was stupid for lack of a better word because I drove the car a lot. If only a couple hundred miles a year no problem with bias but any more and its not worth the trade-off IMO. After installing radials it was like driving a totally different car.

Hi Mike,

I know of no factory equipped red line or gold stripe tire in `65. The red lines did become available in `66.

In `65`s I have found two tire types, both triple white walls. They were equipped with Goodyear Power Cushions and Firestone (cant recall the tire model at the moment). The combination of white stripes on the Goodyear, which I have here at the house and just measured, is exactly 1 inch.

Tom

Tom/Mike,

The ones I got from DiamondBack are about 1 1/16" from the outside of the two narrow stripes. The center stripe is just under 1/2". They are Toyo tires but there are no markings on the whitewall side of the tire. I went with them for the look.

Rock On

gord

Edited by msdminc
Bad Grammer (see edit history)

Guest clamshells
Tom/Mike,

The ones I got from DiamondBack are about 1 1/16" from the outside of the two narrow stripes. The center stripe is just under 1/2". They are Toyo tires but there are actually markings on the whitewall side of the tire. I went with them for the look.

Rock On

gord

Hi Gord,

I found a triple WW at Diamondback in a 235/75/15. Is the 235/75/15 the size you're running?

Mike

Tom I used these two charts to come up with the 225 - TIRE RACK and DBTIRE. Click on the links to see my reference.

Rock On

gord

Which one do you chose? The two don't seem to agree on much of anything. Just makes it harder. :confused:

Gord, do you have pictures of your new DB triple whites that you can post? I've seen them up close and personal, but there are lots of others who would like to see them.

Ed

Mike I went with the 225/75R15s from Dimond Back, and they look very good.

Ed, the 8.45 on the Diamond Back table is right on to the 225/75R15. On the Tire Rack chart it is the closest to the 8.45 for the 75 Series tires, just a little bigger.

I talked to guys from Diamond Back and that was their suggestion too. Additionally I wanted to have the 75 Series profile.

Rock On

gord

Here are some close ups of the tires with Road Wheels.

NOTE: You will notice the webs on the wheels are painted black, the gray did not look right or should I say good - it will cost me points when judged but looks killer with the Black/Black/Black car. The tires will cost me points - too they are Radials. So I have a set of Bias Ply tires and steel wheels with the stock hub caps that I will change to at the Buick Nationals next year in Missouri - it won't look as good but won't cost any points.

post-95345-143142571536_thumb.jpg

See you in Colorado Springs and Rock On,

gord

post-95345-143142571479_thumb.jpg

post-95345-14314257151_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142571479_thumb.jpg

post-95345-14314257151_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142571536_thumb.jpg

Here are some close ups of the tires with Road Wheels.

NOTE: You will notice the webs on the wheels are painted black, the gray did not look right or should I say good - it will cost me points when judged but looks killer with the Black/Black/Black car. The tires will cost me points - too they are Radials. So I have a set of Bias Ply tires and steel wheels with the stock hub caps that I will change to at the Buick Nationals next year in Missouri - it won't look as good but won't cost any points.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]253884[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]253886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]253887[/ATTACH]

See you in Colorado Springs and Rock On,

gord

Gord,

Tires look awesome. I really like the fact the `65 wheels are charcoal though. When you convert to steel wheels, the Gran Sport wheel covers would look great on your all black Riv and technically be correct for `65. I`m assuming they would be OK with the BCA judges as a `65 accessory but I`m not sure??? Good question for Dick Sweeney.

Tom

PS I ran a set of `64 cast aluminum wheel covers on an all black `65 GS I had years ago as a driver and they looked awesome. Nothing says "60`s" more than a protruding set of spinners!

Guest clamshells

Gord,

I am going to call DB tomorrow to talk to a real person since I only find the 235's online. I'll pull the trigger on the 225's I'll be done and happy, equally as happy as Tom when he sees my set of freshly chromed 65 Road Wheels with charcoal webs..............lol

Thanks Gord, Jason & Tom for their insight and information.

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

Gord,

When you convert to steel wheels, the Gran Sport wheel covers would look great on your all black Riv and technically be correct for `65. I`m assuming they would be OK with the BCA judges as a `65 accessory but I`m not sure??? Good question for Dick Sweeney.

Tom

The Gran Sport spinner caps was only on the Riviera Gran Sports , They are a little rare today as most people that bought the GS wanted the road wheels . They would not be correct for the Std. Riv . That being said , I am a big fan of building the car the way you want and I would never have extra tires and wheels just for extra points . Its not worth th trouble in my opinion . Spend you money and time on other things to improve the car . The wrong tires is not a mandatory deduction so if everything else is good for the most part you could still get The Gold Award . Have fun with the car - thats what its about !

Gord,

When you convert to steel wheels, the Gran Sport wheel covers would look great on your all black Riv and technically be correct for `65. I`m assuming they would be OK with the BCA judges as a `65 accessory but I`m not sure??? Good question for Dick Sweeney.

Tom

The Gran Sport spinner caps was only on the Riviera Gran Sports , They are a little rare today as most people that bought the GS wanted the road wheels . They would not be correct for the Std. Riv . That being said , I am a big fan of building the car the way you want and I would never have extra tires and wheels just for extra points . Its not worth th trouble in my opinion . Spend you money and time on other things to improve the car . The wrong tires is not a mandatory deduction so if everything else is good for the most part you could still get The Gold Award . Have fun with the car - thats what its about !

Dick, I am confused? I went to the BCA website tonight and found the judging guidelines. There is a section on tires which states radial tires were not available until `67 and therefore radials on a `65 is a points deduction?

Also, there is a section which states post 47 (?) cars with a genuine Buick accessory is not a deduction, nor does it qualify for extra points?

I`m not ever concerned or involved with judging but happened to be testing some adjustments to my browser and decided to visit the BCA site and noticed the judging guidelines. I`ve only visited the site a few times and very quickly glanced over the guidelines so I surely missed something....but I have heard much grumbling about entrants having to run bias ply tires or suffer points deductions.

Wasn`t this a big deal a handful of years ago and decided only original equipment type tires would be considered acceptable? Just curious, thanks,

Tom

Guest wildcat465

Tom, what Dick is saying is that in BCA judging, the radials are not what is called a mandatory deduction. It will get a minimum point deduction for being a radial, but does not disqualify the car from getting a gold award. Mandatory deductions (example - Aluminum wheels, Chevy motor, 4-speed trans, flamed paint job)on the form during judging will disqualify the car for a gold award.

Gord,

Tom

dick,'

would you happen to have a photo of these rare spinner caps? the man i bought my car from 10 yrs ago gave me 2 sets of the wire hub caps with the black "R" emblem in the center. wondering if one of the sets are original to my 65 rivi gs

gracias,

arnulfo

Arnulfo, this is a pic of the Gran Sport Spinner I believe Dick and Tom are talking about. Kind of small but you will get the idea. I have one of these in my collection. I also have sets of standard wheel covers and wire wheel covers too.

post-95345-143142572459_thumb.jpg

Rock On

gord

Guest clamshells
Arnulfo, this is a pic of the Gran Sport Spinner I believe Dick and Tom are talking about. Kind of small but you will get the idea. I have one of these in my collection. I also have sets of standard wheel covers and wire wheel covers too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]254005[/ATTACH]

Rock On

gord

Are those removable center caps with the turbine outer section attached by studs only accessible by removing the wheel to access the nuts on the back of the rim?

Mike, no it looks like it is a turbine base hub cap with a spinner held to the hub cap with 4 screws. The "R" is bigger than the wire wheel cover spinner "R". You take the hub cap off like normal. I have seen 1964 cast aluminum ones that are like you described with a removable center cap and get removed from the wheel from the back.

Rock On

gord

Guest clamshells
Mike, no it looks like it is a turbine base hub cap with a spinner held to the hub cap with 4 screws. The "R" is bigger than the wire wheel cover spinner "R". You take the hub cap off like normal. I have seen 1964 cast aluminum ones that are like you described with a removable center cap and get removed from the wheel from the back.

Rock On

gord

I have a set of wires all showing 50 years of careless removal, it is sad what happens to these soft parts over the years. Either way those are SUPER hubcaps you have and I am glad to see them owned and care for by a true enthusiast as yourself.

I ordered a set of the 225/75/15 Triple WW in the Toyo: Japan made version :-(. Just waiting on Rally America for Goldie's new wheels and the tires should be here just in time. The Ghost gets to wear Goldie's road wheels and nice Goodyear 225's.

Tom, what Dick is saying is that in BCA judging, the radials are not what is called a mandatory deduction. It will get a minimum point deduction for being a radial, but does not disqualify the car from getting a gold award. Mandatory deductions (example - Aluminum wheels, Chevy motor, 4-speed trans, flamed paint job)on the form during judging will disqualify the car for a gold award.

Hi Paul, Thanks for the clarification. So... radial tires on a `65 will result in a point deduction but will not necessarily eliminate the possibility one can win a gold; unless the guy next to you has the correct tires and scores higher? Bottom line seems to be "incorrect" tires costs the participant points. Is that correct?

Also wondering whether the "Gran Sport" hubcaps on a standard `65 would be considered a point deduction? Are items which are listed in the Accessories section of the appropriate year parts book considered in BCA judging to be "correct"?

Thanks in advance for any input...thanks again Paul,

Tom

Hi Mike,

Tom

Just wanted to follow up on this post...the `65 Firestone triple whites were called "Deluxe Champions". For what it`s worth...

Tom Mooney

Are those removable center caps with the turbine outer section attached by studs only accessible by removing the wheel to access the nuts on the back of the rim?

Mike, What you are describing is more like the `63 and `64 cast aluminum wheel covers as Gordon has noted.

The `65 Gran Sport hubcaps are the same as the standard hubcap (with the exception that the center is stamped flat/solid instead of open to accept the standard center medallion) with the `64 cast aluminum spinner bolted on. This cap was the standard hubcap included in the Gran Sport option package. Clear as mud, right? These caps look great on any `65 Riv,

Tom

Open this link then scroll down to wheel cover part #1991. Then run your cursor over it. You'll see a 3D picture of the "standard" wheel cover that came on the '65 Gran Sport IF Formula Five wheels were not added as an option. This cover is a one year, one model cover. Very rare and very good looking.

http://www.hubcaps.org/riviera.html?gclid=CKCioo_Ghr8CFRJk7Aod21UAiA

If I read them correctly, those are rules for AACA judging. What about rules for BCA judging? Which are you most concerned with? There could be a discrepancy that would make a car acceptable in one place but not the other.

my 65 has Firestone FR380 P225/75R15 whitewalls. The stripes are 3/4". According to my local Firestone tire expert they are meant for pickup trucks but he recommends them for the Riv. They look great and ride like a dream. They are a tight squeeze to be sure, but I haven't experienced any clearance problems. Drew