Sign in to follow this  
gegrunt

Correct transmission fluid for 1959 Lark

A friend of mine has a 1959 Lark with a V-8 and the two speed automatic transmission. His car has leaked a lot of transmission fluid over the winter and he is wondering which fluid is the correct one to use to refill it, the Ford style or the GM style. Can anybody tell me which one is correct for this car?

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Automatic transmission fluid technology has come a long way since they were introduced in the early fifties.

Back then, quality 10W oil was the best available. Today, Dexron-Mercon and it's even more developed progeny are about the best to recommend.

Any modern trans fluid will be better than what was available in 1959. Recent reports indicate to go with the F type if you want a harsher more solid shift and the Dexron-Mercon if you want a softer smooth shift.

I run Dexron-Mercon in my '51 DG200 as well as the '61 FOM.

By the way, that '59 is not a two speed. It's a three-speed FOM (Flight-O-Matic). When starting from a stop in "D", it does start in second. Starting in "L" will start it in first; then he will need to shift to "D" for second and third.

Has he visited the Studebaker Drivers Club forum?

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/

Or joined the Studebaker Drivers Club?

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. My friend Harry is a member of the Wisconsin chapter of the Studebaker club but he does not spend a lot of time online so I try to help him out with the computer inquires.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. My friend Harry is a member of the Wisconsin chapter of the Studebaker club but he does not spend a lot of time online so I try to help him out with the computer inquires.

If you look into wolfs head synthetic automatic transmission fluid it has an impressive list of standards that it meets or exceeds including type F Dexron's Mercon's and manufacturers such as Allison heavy duty transmissions. I personally have not used it on any antique transmissions but when my 59 lark VIII station wagon needs done thats what I intend to use.