turn signal requirements

rons49

Does any state or province in the US or Canada require that turn signals be installed & operational in cars that were manufactured before signals were required by law, I believe 1952? Some one told me that Pennsylvania demands that ALL cars be equipped with turn signals such as 1938. It's a good idea, but I never knew it was required. I believe the Amish buggies are required to install lights, but cars?? Ron

In Oregon if you are riding a motorcycle it is legal to use hand signals if the bike did not come with turn signals.

However it is not legal at night.

Turn signals are required on a motorcycle at night.

Guest 914Driver

I put turn signals on the back of my 1952 Dodge truck to keep from getting rear ended. When I brought it in for its annual inspection the guy said "If you modify any of it, you have to modify all of it".

I went to a different Inspector and got passed. In New York you have to meet all the safety and emission requirements in place when the vehicle was manufactured.

I suspect the PA law is only for cars that are licensed as everyday drivers. In PA there is no annual state safety inspection required for autos registered as antique. Still, if driving on highways I would want turn signals. Not many people look for or know hand signals and what they mean.

Terry

I put turn signals on the back of my 1952 Dodge truck to keep from getting rear ended. When I brought it in for its annual inspection the guy said "If you modify any of it, you have to modify all of it".
I would have had to ask him, "Just what does that idiotic statement mean???" Do I have to install a Chevy engine? Do I have to chop the top? Is a wolf whistle required? What a numbskull.

In the Province of Ontario turn signals became mandatory in 1951. This varied slightly in different states and provinces but I think they all required them about that time.

I don't know of any such laws that are retroactive. In other words, if your car did not require turn signals when it was built in 1938 it does not require them now.

However, I would install them anyway if I planned on driving the car in the interest of safe driving.

Guest 914Driver

My '52 came with one running light in the back, no blinkers, no seat belts. Eventually I had all that, plus 12V and heat.

Img_0065.jpg

Thanks guys, I was looking at a 38 Plymouth business coupe with a friend. The seller said that signals were required in Pa. but these were not hooked up. I never heard of a retro active requirement . in the US or Canada, however I have heard of some in Europe regarding emissions.

Only original equipment is required in PA with Antique plates.

I believe the question is, is only original equipment required with normal plates. Antique plates let you get away with a multitude of sins in just about any state. I have no experience with PA, but in VA the state police govern equipment inspection requirements and their published info specifically calls out the model years for which equipment like this is required. Does PA have that info available on-line? Other states do.

When I lived in PA I was told many times (but never saw it on paper) that sealed beam headlights were required when driving a registered antique after sundown, but otherwise there were no restrictions apart from those for the car's year of manufacture.

When I lived in PA I was told many times (but never saw it on paper) that sealed beam headlights were required when driving a registered antique after sundown, but otherwise there were no restrictions apart from those for the car's year of manufacture.

Interesting, since sealed beam headlights haven't been installed on new cars as factory equipment for decades...

I ordered Smart Signals back in November with a $25 deposit. I was told they may not be delivered in time for Christmas. When I did not receive them by the middle of February, I contacted the company and was told that the company was sold. I requested the deposit be returned, which was credited to my PayPal, with an written agreement to send a set when they are available. That was the last of that endeavor, and still no signals. Great idea, and a few folks in the Model A Ford clubs, who received them before my order, seem to like them. Ron

Edited by rons49 (see edit history)

Thank you Ron for the update on Smart Signals. I have been tempted to purchase a set ever since I first heard of them, but procrastinated. Now I'm glad I did. I just wonder if the new owner will honor the warranty for those sets already sold by the previous owner?

Carl

The deposit was $25, what was the final price for those who did receive them???

They do seem like a good idea, but with a limited market...........even with a moderately high price, I would purchase them just to keep everyone around me aware of where me and my Packard were headed.

Bob

To answer the price question, I believe it was $360 + any options, such as steel posts to mount them on a bumper, but recessed a bit behind the front edge of the bumper. The issue is how responsive is the company when a lenses needs replacement or a battery pack fails, if it is a procrastination on the primary sale/delivery? If you have 2 or more cars, it is a major convenience and can be sold if you decide to dispose of the car. I really would have liked them, but...

To the best of my knowledge turn signals were not federally mandated until January 1, 1968 with the passage of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. They were however, as many of us know standard equipment long before that.

With respect to Pennsylvania. 67 Pa. Code § 175.66(m) (as authorized by 75 Pa. C.S.A. §4303) specifically states that "Antique vehicle lighting exemption. An antique vehicle, if operated exclusively between the hours of sunrise to sunset and not during periods of reduced visibility or insufficient illumination, is exempt from requirements of this section (relating to lighting and electrical systems) except requirements pertaining to stop lamps." So in Pennsylvania if you have a vehicle registered as an antique and you do not drive it at night, you do not have to comply with any lighting requirements (including headlights and turn signals).