Replacement bolts

72gs455

60 year old nailhead is starting to go back together, do I need to use ARP or can I use regular "Grade 8" bolts. At least on the heads and mains, rods too?

I am pretty sure I don't want to reuse the original bolts, I'm sure they have been torqued to spec at least 1 time.

This is not for a race car... Just a old 322 trying to put together.

greenhorn just askin...

Edited by 72gs455
Because I'm clueless (see edit history)

I second this. Newer cars have bolts that stretch and are only good for one time torque. On these old buick engines, as long as the threads are OK and there are no cracks in the shanks, you can use them again and again. They also have tapered ends which are hard to find as aftermarket bolts. That said, be sure to chase all the bolt holes with a thread chaser and also run one on the old bolts too. Make sure you have cleaned out the bolt holes well from all sand and debris from the machining.

Edited by ol' yeller
additional thought (see edit history)

I find for most of the bolts is easy to buy a set of stainless bolts from Alloy Boltz or Totally Stainless.

This makes it easy to replace and not not have to clean. Well worth the $50.

Head bolts, main and rod bolts, I go with arp. Once you break a bolt and have the nut flying around in the bottom end, you wont think twice about that.