Piston needed

I need to replace a broken Jahn's piston: 3.25 inches in diameter; 2.4675 inches compression distance; .875 pin size - for a Series 9 1917 Franklin. Does anybody have a piston and rings that will work for sale? I am desperate, even an old original may work. Warsaw, Indiana confused.gif" border="0

Guest stude8

I have a couple of old Franklin buddies who tell me the trick with Franklins is the pistons must be cam ground eliptical not round. Reason is cooling blower pushes air across cylinders from only one direction and when hot the cylinders warp out of round enough to bind up a round piston.<BR>Some guy in Minnesota reproduced Franklin pistons with invar? struts. Air cooled is a different game than water jacket engines.<BR>Stude8

Guest stude8

Found address for Franklin guru:<BR>l-n522@juno.com Lee might be able to help out withh a used piston or know where to get what you need. Stude8

I tried Egge earlier to no avail. The Jahns pistons are heavier. Tom Rasmussen is trying to find one. I may have to find any 3.25 piston and add weight to the pin to balance out the engine. Compression clearance is not as critical as weight.This is my first Franklin, so it is new to me too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...