63 Underhood Hold down Clamp Purpose?

DrP

This hold down clamp is attached to the hood bumper on passenger side just above the horns. As you see there is nothing running through it. Looks to be the size of a heater or A/C hose. There are no hoses near this hold down on my car. Anyone know what this is supposed to be used for?

post-99012-143142559089_thumb.jpg

Thxx guys. PO had a plastic bottle in the Opti Clean bottle location with radiator overflow hose into it. Maybe he used this to guide the hose over???? Now, how about the hold clamp in the lower right of the picture where the wiring harness goes through? Don't remember seeing that arrangement on another 63 Riv. Should the wiring harness just go behind the grill as on the left side without a clamp?

My next comments are kind of off-post but one of the great advantages of going to the ROA international meets is to be able to see other cars very similar to yours and ask questions of the owners and other onlookers as to the authenticity of all sorts of oddities - as showed up on your car - that will show up on 50 year old cars which have been owned by God only knows how many other people before you got it.

I'm going to Colorado Springs with my digital SLR camera and a bunch of different lenses. I'm going to take a lot of pictures of different engine compartments on all of the 1st generation Rivieras. Everything from paint schemes, proper bolt colors, proper wire loom brackets, to finishes for hood hinges and latches, to what ever I see that I think I might need to know.

Not every car will be exactly the same, but after I've documented each one that's there, I'll be able to come up with a consensus as to what the majority of cars have and I'll use that majority to finish my engine compartment. I'll also have some pictures of my car as it sits currently to make sure that I can note what's wrong and be sure to fix it.

Looking at other cars in person is like the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words." There's a lot of information to be shared on the forum but until you attend an ROA meet and can see for yourself some of the detail that goes into these cars, you won't be able to ask all the questions you'll have let alone come up with answers to them.

You're exposed to very few ROA members here on this forum. You'll be amazed at the knowledge that's out there yet to be tapped just by talking with a guy face to face.

Everyone start making plans for next year. The 2015 site will be announced when we get to Colorado. Someone will post it here on the forum. Make note of it, mark it on your calendar, and start making plans for 2015.

Ed

Yes, those small plastic harness holders (one in the lower left of your pix; one on each side of rad support) are correct, as is a small "hook" (not really a clamp) in the center by the hood latch support bracket. So three across.[/quote

Bought this car from estate of original owner with less than 25K original miles and had been stored for 28 years. Mom's car -she got sick and it was parked- so it is "relatively" unmolested. The owner's husband owned a full service Standard Oil gas station in Calif back in the '60's and was told he "tinkered". He was NOT a CB'er or ham radio guy and no evidence of any electronic accessories mounts or wiring anywhere in the car and, thank goodness, no stereo speakers. There's evidence he must have had a deal with local Ford Parts Department however as one headlight is FOMCO while others are T3's, spark plug wires are Motorola, etc. Hard to tell but when I removed the above "harness" holders both looked like they were original (at least not Ford). One under the hood bumper is black plastic, facing reward, about the size for a 3/4 inch diameter "something". The other mounted by a screw to the brace was metal, faced forward and about the diameter of the harness. I moved the wiring up to that position because it "looked" like it should fit there. Prior to my moving it to this holder the wiring was down under the brace without a holder. Doesn't seem to be anything in that area other than the wiring I described. There are no comparable holders near the hood latch or on the drivers side hood bumper.

So, BIG question is: IF they are original THEN, what are they supposed to be used for?

Sorry I can't make it to Colorado Springs to compare and brag.lol

Edited by DrP (see edit history)

Thxxx Jan. Pics would be helpful to all. Anticipate seeing your car in person. Monterey is a good destination for a Riv road trip from San Diego up the coast.

Actually it's 5 across. This pix shows the clips that mount to the front edge of the rad support, inboard from the hood bumpers. A third but identical clip mounts sideways on the center hood latch support bracket to keep the harness in place.

post-56475-143142560364_thumb.jpg