Tree Crushes Million Dollar Car

Dave@Moon

Is this typical news sensationalism?

The article says that one of those models

sold for $1.1 million. Old Cars Price Guide

values one at about $140,000 in #3 condition

and $320,000 in #1 condition. Who's to say

that the destroyed example, as regretful as it was,

was perfectly restored and worth $1,000,000?

I'll bet it will be restored.

I think that's a given. At that value you could rebuild it from nothing more than a VIN # and data plate and still be ahead. However it's still a heavy loss as the rebuilt "new" car looks to likely be little more than a recreation from the looks of what's left here.

:(

I am a car guy that has interest in all eras. And in my mind there are few 1960's cars as iconic as a Toyota 2000 GT. As for the roadster version Google "James Bond Toyota 2000 roadster": there were 2 made for the 1960's J.B. movie set in Japan, VERRY special Toyota's. No doubt this one will be restored. The damage is serious but these are serious money cars {for good reason in IMHO}. American cars are often wonderfull, but a select few Japanese cars are as well. I think the old cars value guide is way out of date, this car is probably worth close to 1/2 mill as is . Check recent auction results.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
No doubt this one will be restored.

..........and where in the world would anyone start? And with the history now, why?

In the even more out of reach world of historic vintage racing cars this amount of damage would not be a big issue at all. Many multi- million racing cars have been rebuilt from far worse wrecks. If the work is done by talented craftsmen the previous damage is of no real consequence to the finished cars value. Sure, cars in pristine unrestored condition will sell for a premium. But once correctly rebuilt this Toyota will still be a very valuable and sought after car. Definitely not a restoration for anyone but the best, but none the less quite restorable. I have been involved with Shelby mustangs that had nearly as bad damage; are far less valuable car's, and were of course rebuilt. Cars of this stature in the collector's world are ALWAYS rebuilt.

Greg in Canada

Guest AlCapone

It would seem whatever insurance settlement is reached, the insurance company should take the title to the vehicle.

Wayne

The difference now is that everyone has the pictures because of the Internet. That picture will always make sure this car sells for a big discount whenever it hits the market.

The Duesenberg that rolled in Detroit 8 years ago was completely rebuilt and won Best of Show at Auburn. I don't know if that one has gone down in value at all.

In pre-computer days I read every page in Hemmings and Old Cars Weekly. Does anyone remember the restorations of the royal family cars in the Philippines? They had been stored in the wet basement of a castle and totally rotted. I remember one was a 1930's Cadillac. They were restored as national treasures. That must have been 25 or 30 years ago. I wonder for they fared.

Bernie

I would drop in a SBC 5 "peed" automatic, AC ,roll cage, fat man front end, wilwood brakes. lambo doors, narrowed 9" posi ford rear, 20" x6" black chrome Foose wheels in front, black chrome 22" x 20" wheels in the rear, and nitro. Remove all the chrome, shave all the handles and lights. Paint it pepto bismol pink and then distress it to look like it has been sitting out in a field for 50 years. Other than that, I would keep it bone stock.. . . and enter it in the original survivoir class.