power seat options

devildog93

Ok, so i'm getting ready to finish the floors and trunk on my 64 Riviera and was trying to get ahead of the game a bit so i don't get stalled on the next portion. My front seats are thrashed and i'm considering custom options. I don't want racing seats or anything of that sort, but more of a same type of thing option. Unfortunately i don't think there is enough metal left in my seats to save them, so i am wondering about grabbing power seats out of something else, then trying to color and style match them.

I had come across a post a month or so ago that said something about possibly using cadillac eldorado power seats, but i can't seem to find it. That is looking more like an option i'm going to have to pursue if anyone has any more information about them, such as maybe what years you would suggest looking towards.

I was going to use some Eldo seats until I decided to go back to stock. After getting a pair of seats home, I found that unless you do some work on the floor boards (perhaps I should say IF some work could be done on the floor boards) the seats will sit you too high. The motor on the bottom of the seats sets lower than the mounting points. You'd have to add some rails to the Riv's floor boards or create a big dent in the floor for the seat motor to sit in.

A big reason that I chose the Eldorado seats was for the integral shoulder belt - shoulder belt with no roof point attachment. If that's not a consideration, then there are probably lots of choices. A friend is using BMW 528 coupe seats (without head restraints) in his '65 and having covers sewn to replicate the '65 covers.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Well, i suppose that is still a possibility. I'm staring at raw floor pans stitched in prior to painting with por 15. Cutting holes for the motors would be doable, but kind of tacky right? At least i know what i'm kind of looking for and problem areas. So it looks like no matter what i grab i'm going to have to fabricate a bit, so looking for anything specific doesn't seem as important as i thought it might be. Any amount of fabrication would be easier than trying to bring my damaged seats back to life.

Hey devildog! There is a pair of 65 Riv buckets on ebay in decent shape.....actually, if you go to vintage parts & search for 65 bucket seats you will find a big selection of mid sixties seats....later Rivs, Eldorado, GTO, Chevelle, etc. Could be something else you like from the right era. Rivnik