christianad1156

1948 Chrysler Windsor questions

What a fun drive. And with no problems, that's way cool.

I purchased the referenced fuel fitting and am on the main tank now.

Had a few minor glitches when first got it to run and only has about 40 miles on it now but the last run was 30 miles with no problems.

IM003093.JPG

Hello again everyone.  Its been a while but I thought I'd share and ask a couple of things.

First off, I posted some pics of an original oil filter with a machinist rule in case anybody is interested.  I was trying to verify the correct size in order to figure out what brand filter to buy for a replacement.  I bought two replacement filters from two different sources that said they're exact size replacements.  However, each of them were different sizes.  The original size looks to me to be 8 inches high, 2 5/8 inch wide, and the center hole about 1 inch.  I think the height is most important for this application. 

Can anybody recommend a brand and brand number that is a good fit?

I've also not been able to determine what to get for a gasket for the top of the oil filter.   Each of the replacements that came with the filters I bought were the wrong size.  Does anybody have a brand/part number for that too?

Also, I know this isn't the best place to post this but a guy is selling a 1947 Windsor on eBay that I saw in person.  The car is great and he has almost everything that isn't attached on the car including extra trim rings and brand new moulding for the rockers that I wish he'd let me buy lol.  Its super original and hasn't been started in a few years.   Garage kept its entire life by the looks of it.  If I wasn't moving again I'm pretty sure I would buy it.  Here's the link if anybody is interested (https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/d/1947-chrysler-windsor/6571583084.html).  I also took about 40 photos while I was checking it out.

Finally, I've done a lot more research on the car and learned a lot about restoration.  I'm starting to get really serious now and realize that I need to get the floor pans replaced.  I have a source for the pans but I still need the "cross members" that go under and connect to the body and the body mounts.  If there is a source for those, please let me know.  I would love to save a few bucks and not pay somebody to build them.  

Is anybody in the Jacksonville, FL area?  That's where I'm moving to next.  I'm not sure if I'm going to take the car yet or not.

20180311_221802.jpg

20180325_104129.jpg

20180305_204421.jpg

Christian, sorry I can't help on your filter question.

But I did go back and look thru the other three pages of this thread. The 3000 mile trip sounds great, I bet it was a fun time. And no issues, even better!  Of course, that's what these big Chryslers were made for. It's a good looking car, hope to see more updates.

I may have a replacement filter for your car. I will check.

Also, there should be a circular rubber gasket for the cover of the oil filter canister. Usually these are included with the filter

Joe

r1lark, it was fun and educational.  It was a bit more work than I was expecting.  I was used to driving a lot at night and going faster but it rained a lot and with 6V taillights I was worried one of those big trucks wasn't going to see me until it was too late.  I drove much slower because I didn't want to push the car.  I'd have more fun now that I know what to expect!

Joe, each replacement filter that I bought has a couple of those o-rings but they don't fit the canister.  Ideally, I'd like to find a reliable source for filters that I know fit.

I forgot to mention that I bought an original parts book because I was tired of using the poor copy that was given to me when I bought the car.  The parts book I had was a copy that Bishko make although I called to ask if they had a better copy and they don't have the one from 1949 even though I have the copy of the receipt from them to the last owner.  Regardless, I'm going through taking photos with my phone and turning them into pdfs using an app.  Its coming out great. I'm wondering if anybody would be interested in getting a better copy.  Maybe I'm the only one that didn't previously have a good copy lol.  

Its been another long time since I've posted.  I've been stationed away from my project for almost a year now...heading to Singapore next so I certainly won't get much done soon.  However...

-I've finished scanning the entire parts book, I'll post a link in the "for sale" section.  Its also here:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-1948-Chrysler-Passenger-Car-Parts-List/283480254059

-I had my car in the shop over the summer back home in Idaho to get rocker replacement work done.  The initial estimate was way lower than the estimate to authorize work so I pulled it out of the shop.  I've read a few books about welding and got some replacement panels.  I'll weld them in myself when I get the chance!

-Does anybody have knowledge with an "original" trunk "mat" for a C38?  There is a guy on ebay selling one and says it was remade from the one from his car but I would like to get a second source verifying that that is the correct mat before I spend the money.  The link is here:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-1948-Dodge-DeSoto-Chrysler-Repro-Trunk-Mat-From-Original-Pattern/173871424775

Thanks!

You won't find an OE factory mat.

Buy the one from Bernbaum as listed above... close as you will get.

I've looked for 40 years.

Bob, 

Great advice from great experience as always.  I don't know why but I didn't realize that Bernbaum had an eBay store!

Christian