Sign in to follow this  
Gwood

1965 Ford Engine Colors

Does someone know the correct color Ford painted their engines that went into the mustangs. I thought it was blue but i heard that's wrong. The air filter is gold, is the whole engine that color? And did they paint exhaust manifolds?

Thanks, Glenn

I've painted my valve covers blue, there on an 289 2 barrel motor but the air filter is gold not black

The MCA rules state all '65 engines are black. The air cleaner and valve covers are gold on the 289, and light blue on the 260. The air cleaner snorkel is black for both. Natural cast iron appearance is the proper finish (paint is acceptable per MCA rules) for the exhaust manifolds.

Edited by 64rustang (see edit history)

The MCA rules state all '65 engines are black. The air cleaner and valve covers are gold on the 289, and light blue on the 260. The air cleaner snorkel is black for both. Natural cast iron appearance is the proper finish (paint is acceptable per MCA rules) for the exhaust manifolds.
My second car was a '65 Mustang coupe with a 289 CID and 2bbl carb. The air filter housing and valve covers were painted gold, and the block and heads were black.

That,s great information, Thank you. Now to track down the correct paint.

Go to www.concoursmustang.com. It is a wealth of knowledge that can help you answer any question about Mustangs. It is an excellent forum with some of the best Mustang gurus from around the world. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. I believe you can access the judging guidelines from the MCA (www.mustang.org).