33 plymouth steering question

33Crazy

I am restoring a 33 Plymouth Fordor but putting a modern drive-line in...yes it will be a 360/727. I am leaving the rear alone for now. This is just a cruiser so hopefully it will last till I can update it.

The real question; I do not like the stock drag link setup. Those pitman ball mounts scare me. I know I can build my own drag link with tie rod ends, no problem. Has any one changed out the pitman arm with something that can accept a tie rod end. I believe the arm is 6.5" long and the steering box shaft appears to be less than 1" diameter. Does anyone know a replacement I can use without having to make one. Maybe some other make in the 30's had the same measurements or close and did not use the ball mount.

Also has anyone put a 360 in a 33 sedan and kept the stock steering/front suspension? If so, I would like to know how/where you mounted the engine. Were there any issues with the v8 weight on the original springs? Thanks

Those pitman ball mounts scared me too with my original worn out drag link. The original was fairly thin metal and it had worn and deformed around the area where the balls are held. But Rare Parts in Stockton, California manufactures a replacement drag link that looks identical to the original but is made of a thicker walled tube. Took care of the vertical play that was there due to wear in the old one.

With a good drag link I don't think the ball ends are all that much different than you'd have using tie rod end style connections: The tie rod ends have exactly the same construction inside them.

No clue about your engine swap questions as I am the type to keep things stock.

I am thinking that your steering gear will be in the way. You might get away with using the 'A' body exhaust manifolds, but not sure about that.

You will probably end up changing out the front suspension.

Start by removing the front tin, radiator etc. and old engine and tranny, then dangle the 360/727 over the thing and see if it will fit.