Paige - 1923 Model 6-70 Phaeton. (7 passenger / 6 cyl)

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> For Sale - Restored 1923 Paige, Model 6-70, 7 passenger phaeton, 131" wheel base.

Dual side mounts, Waltham dash clock, rear mounted trunk, side curtains & rare running board trunks.

AACA Senior in 2012. Ready to show and tour.

$64,900, can deliver to Fall Hershey Meet in October.

Contact Joe @ 513 779-2600 - Cincinnati, Oh.

post-41405-143142545251_thumb.jpg

Photos of interior & engine in later post

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

post-41405-143142545213_thumb.jpg

post-41405-14314254522_thumb.jpg

post-41405-143142545223_thumb.jpg

post-41405-143142545228_thumb.jpg

post-41405-14314254523_thumb.jpg

post-41405-143142545234_thumb.jpg

post-41405-143142545238_thumb.jpg

post-41405-143142545243_thumb.jpg

post-41405-143142545247_thumb.jpg

Edited by huptoy
Price reduction of $21,000 from $85,000 to $64,900. (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry to hear of any old-car owner passing away.

Last year at the meet, I admired that Paige's lines--

Paige was often more stylish than its contemporaries--

thought what a nice older restoration it was, and what

it might take to make it top-notch again.

And "older restoration" isn't a pejorative term. Most cars

of this era are older restorations, just as my 1916 car is.

The Paige's sleekness makes it appear almost like a late 1920's car!

There is a lot of great history about Paige.

Harry Jewett refused to race cars to promote the brands (other than a few endurance runs to promote the Jewett and simple speed runs for the 6-66 Paige in the '20s). However, others, including E L Cord of Auburn/Cord /Duesenberg fame, did race them quite successfully.

From 1913 until 1927, they lost money in only one year. Very few automobile manufacturers can make a claim like that other than Ford and a few like Studebaker that had already been in successful business for decades before getting into automobiles (Dodge had made a fortune for ten years building chassis and parts for Ford before they built under their own name).

For one year, shortly before selling out to the Graham Brothers, Paige/Jewett, against a hundred other companies, made the top ten Automobile manufacturers in the United States.

Although referred to as an assembled car, they were well engineered, well built, most maajor parts unique to Paige/Jewett, and for the money, a good value. Actually, then and now.

A fellow I know, toured with Pierce Arrows for several years. He bought a 1921 Paige (very similar to the one for sale), and found that he liked touring with the Paige even better.

http://www.wcroberts.org/Paige_History.html for an independent website devoted to Paige. (I hope the posted link works, I am not that good with computers)

There used to be a Jewett registry website, however it has died in the past year. I believe that I heard the fellow running it had died earlier. I guess the family gave up on it.

The book 'The Graham Legacy: Graham-Paige to 1932' by Michael E Keller is the best single source that I know of for Paige and Jewett history.

THIS IS MY OPINION AND MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME: Unfortunately, I have found that the Graham Owners Club International has not been very accepting of Paige and Jewett automobile owners in the past. This, in spite of the fact that they state that Paige and Jewett owners are welcome. I have checked their forum only a few times in the past ten years because several Paige owners that attempted to participate were pretty much ignored. Coke bottle collectors were welcomed much better by many people because the Graham brothers invented the machine that made the famous Coke Cola bottle possible. That was where the Grahams made their first fortune leading them to work toward producing automobiles. Roto Tiller owners were welcomed with open arms because the Graham brothers were instrumental in developing and producing them after WWII. Paige and Jewett automobiles were produced by someone else, and often treated as unwanted distant cousins. Just me? I am not generally that thin-skinned. About a half dozen people with very nice Paige automobiles received NO responses to their postings with photos of their nice cars. Frankly, I wouldn't have cared that much for myself. My Paige is not nice enough and needs too much work for me to care that much for myself. If I live long enough (beginning to look doubtful), maybe I will get my Paige done.

Anyway, my apologies if I offended any Graham owners (they are good automobiles and deserve recognition). I really would like to see a better resource for Paige and Jewett owners.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

• 11 months later...

Yes, we keep a registry of the Paige cars in the GOCI.  It is published every other year to all members.  Since I took over the registry the cars stay on the registry forever.  Currently I have 20 Paige Cars listed including Commercial cars.  This car (1923 Paige, Model 6-70) was at the 2011 GOCI meet in Lansing Michigan and is on the registry. 

I have 3 Graham-Paige cars, and would love to have a Paige touring car someday.  I am sorry you had a bad experience with the GOCI, we had over 80 members at the 2015 meet in Winona, MN.  My 15 year old son drove our (Full Classic) 1929 Graham-Paige 827, over 100 miles with a full load of passengers, and he picked up the Preservation Award for the 827.  We had members from CA, Australia, Mexico and Brazil.  I do not know of a club magazine that is easier to get stories published.  Would love to add your Paige to the registry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ua5YA1zDc

It's probably not that Paiges are disdained

(as Graham Man's enthusiasm demonstrates),

but that there were so few Paige owners that

it was sort of an accidental neglect.

I love seeing the unusual makes at shows!

I'd walk past a $250,000 Packard to see a

$25,000 Paige.  That's how I first noticed this

example at a show.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

John:

I did the same as you at the 2013 AACA spring meet after I was looking over yours and saw this stunning Blue Beauty. Quite a stylish car. Yes I fantasized  about driving it and spoke to Merle at length about it. Sorry to hear of his passing.