Sign in to follow this  
mcgoo

1925/26 Chrysler rear suspension

Can anyone help me with any pictures of the rear suspension setup on a 25/26 Chrysler sedan /coach.

I have set mine up according to info from other posts and would like advice/ guidance as to if it is right or not. I have made up temporary timber shackle plates at 2 inch centres (believe this is what supposed to be)

The leafs are correct to data obtained in another thread but still unsure of the 13 leafs.

Look forward to comments

This is how I have set it uppost-100001-143142544251_thumb.jpg

post-100001-143142544207_thumb.jpg

post-100001-143142544231_thumb.jpg

Looks all right to me except I don't think wooden shackles will last long. You should keep the original ones if they are not worn out.

The last pic is definitely wrong.

Those gadgets clamped to the spring are some kind of add on spring reinforcement or shock absorber. I would take them off.

What is wrong with 13 leaves?

Rusty is correct in that the springs in the last photo are in the wrong position.

It is hard wood so will last a while !!, Nothing wrong with 13 leaves just wasn't sure that they are right. The shackles that came with the vehicle as shown in picture 2 don't let the spring come right up into the hook part of the chassis, plus they are extremely worn.

Thanks for help, I was really hoping someone had a picture of a 1925 car with this set up.

Chrysler America's historic section don't even seem to have and documentation to help.

Thanks

The shackles that came with the vehicle as shown in picture 2 don't let the spring come right up into the hook part of the chassis

I don't know what this means. Do you mean the end of the spring hits the chassis? It could be that the worn out bushings are allowing the spring to hit, when it would just clear when the shackles and bushings were new. A worn out FRONT spring bushing could allow the spring to go back too far.

You might step back and give us a picture of the whole spring and rear axle.

yes it hits chassis rail first, and let the shackles come centrally into the hook section as. With shorter centres on the shackle plates the spring then comes into the hook section centrally clearing the chassis rail. Like in this pic on the right side

post-100001-143142545367_thumb.jpg Ill just try it with different size shackle plates until it fits right without hitting.

Thanks

Hi mcgoo

my spring shackles are 55mm centre to centre and the top of my springs are 350mm from the bottom of the chassis. In regards to the u shape bits bolted to the springs out 1929 Plymouth has them on it so I think it is a factory thing but I have no idea what they do. Also my springs only have 9 leaves in them. Hope this helps

Carsnz

many thanks it helps greatly confirms the set up I have now is right