From package shelf to seats

JanZverina

An update if anyone's interested. Here's a pix of my leather seat restoration on my '63 using SEM Color Coat finishes. I first used SEM CC on my everyday ride (can I say Audi on this site?) when I noticed that my leather gearshift knob (I special-ordered one with a 6-speed manual) was looking like crap after just two years and less than 20K. I SEM'd it and it's been fine ever since. So here's a pix of the leather seatbacks done, with the cushions next. Awesome paint, but I did email SEM this evening and ask if I can still "feed the hide" after refinishing them, or if the paint acts as a barrier to the leather. Anyone in the ROA family know? I see you guys recently said on another thread that a white interior is a b*tch to keep clean, but to me, it just makes a Riv look so inviting!

post-56475-143142543974_thumb.jpg

If SEM tells you that you're creating a barrier over the leather and you want to "feel the hides," you'll want to go the extra mile and go with this complete restoration process. I did a car a number of years ago, and it looked like new. I sold it shortly thereafter so I can't say how it wore, but the testimonials speak highly for it.

http://www.leatherique.com/

Here's a link to a video that shows a complete color change using the same products plus a prepping agent and the dye.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Paul. Yes, Sure Coat is from SEM's Aerospace unit, primarily to refinish private/corporate jet seats and interiors, with custom color matching, etc. and quite expensive for the scope of my little project. I did check with SEM and they said that while Classic Coat is slightly better for treating leather because it penetrates the hide instead of sealing the surface, it doesn't come in any white shades. They said that for my particular project, Color Coat would work well. It's a tad brighter white than I wanted, but here's a good tip - I used a small amount of tan Kiwi shoe polish to "yellow" the white very slightly, and that really worked well!

Guest dwhiteside64

Very impressive work Jan. Your car is really coming along nicely - so nice that I blatantly 'stole' some of your ideas concerning restoration tips. Thanks. Hope you don't mind too much...;)

Steal? Hardly. That's what a forum such as this one is for - to share knowledge, ideas, successes, and how to correct/avoid failures. All I can say is, how did we survive w/o the Internet? Well we obviously did, but the answers were slower in coming and the collective knowledge base much narrower. For instance, that tip above on using some light shoe polish - now I'm just upset that a small tin of shoe polish, at least here, goes for $7.69! I guess that shows the last time I bought some!

Guest dwhiteside64

Yes the internet, and this forum in particular, are two of the main reasons I decided to take the plunge and buy a classic. I'm too conservative with money to risk buying a car that I couldn't properly maintain and drive. My perfectionist side also makes me hate when I don't get it right the first time lol. Thanks to all here who help spread the knowledge about these great machines. :cool:

Hey Darren,

Don't worry when you don't get it right the first time. There are plenty of times when I slept on a problem, and was glad I did! I had a good friend who helped me through a long but rewarding Jag XKE refurbishment (yes, I still have that beautiful '67 coupe) and the best lessons he taught me were (a) have patience - it may not go as well as you hoped the first time, and (B) always quit a repair session early enough to clean up your tools and restore order in the shop. That way you'll be glad to return and solve the problem with a fresh set of eyes. Oh, and © take plenty of notes and pictures!

Guest dwhiteside64

Good advice and yes I am getting a little less anal as I age so less than perfection isn't so hard to deal with any more lol.