AUBURN PHAETON 1934 FOR SALE MI

Guest gmulcahy

Guest gmulcahy

Gorgeous 34' Phaeton for sale in MI. Freshly painted in Black Cherry. Ready to go. PLEASE call for details (I have this posted for the owner) Buick V-8 driving wonderfully. $45,000 or reasonable offer. It's a piece of history. CALL 517.676.5651 LEAVE A MESSAGE if no answer, it's finally nice enough to go outside in Mi.

post-92103-143142538597_thumb.jpg

post-92103-143142538542_thumb.jpg

post-92103-143142538546_thumb.jpg

post-92103-14314253856_thumb.jpg

post-92103-143142538562_thumb.jpg

post-92103-143142538571_thumb.jpg

post-92103-143142538574_thumb.jpg

post-92103-143142538584_thumb.jpg

post-92103-143142538587_thumb.jpg

post-92103-143142538594_thumb.jpg

Edited by gmulcahy (see edit history)

Guest gmulcahy

I just got a return message from the owner I have it posted for. They are asking $45,000 but hearing reasonable offers as well. Hope this finds you. New to this forum seems a bit confusing to reply etc... have a good day. thanks for asking!

Guest gmulcahy
Forum rules stated a price must be posted. A little more information would be good, a 6 or an 8 engine? I for one don't have the time or desire to

call for details. Very nice car!

I made a error and fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out..

If you look at picture #4, a long shot under the hood, I think you can see that it's an inline engine....doesn't answer 6 or 8, and it looks like there are some add on wires and such under the hood....nice looking car, and not an unreasonable price, but to make some kind of intelligent decision need information on mechanicals...

Of course, it still holds true, if you buy a rust free, nice, car that needs mechanical work, still very much less expensive than a mechanically perfect car that is rusty....

If you look at picture #4, a long shot under the hood, I think you can see that it's an inline engine....doesn't answer 6 or 8, and it looks like there are some add on wires and such under the hood....nice looking car, and not an unreasonable price, but to make some kind of intelligent decision need information on mechanicals...

Of course, it still holds true, if you buy a rust free, nice, car that needs mechanical work, still very much less expensive than a mechanically perfect car that is rusty....

Read the OP's post. It is clearly indicated it is a BUICK V/8

I stand corrected ! I know a fellow that went and looked at the car. He told me there was a Buick engine in it. I made the assumption the OP knew what he/she was talking about. In the pix that Scott enhanced, the engine is clearly not a 34-36 Auburn engine.

I think the model (if known) either a 652y (fairly rare) or 852y would be helpful to the value of the car......clearly the engine and transmission type needs to be known for a prospective buyer. What is listed on the title?

It definitely looks like an OHV Buick STRAIGHT-8, not a V8 which probably led to the confusion. No OHV Auburns, right? Even the color appears to be mid-30s Buick Green. If it's a big 90-Series 344, it probably moves rather well, but if it's a small series engine, maybe not so much. I wonder which transmission and rear end it carries, as the Buicks used torque tubes? Seems like a lot more work that simply finding a correct Lycoming straight-8, no?

The car is a 1934 850 Y phaeton. I own one. 652 Y is a 1934 custom six cylinder model. There is no 852 Y. 654 & 852 refers to 1936 six cylinder and eight cylinder respectively. 653 & 851 are 35 models.

The 1934 cars had no badges or markings as to the model. All Auburns are quite rare, particularly the 1934 models. There are only about 15 850 Y phaetons known.

It definitely looks like an OHV Buick STRAIGHT-8, not a V8 which probably led to the confusion. No OHV Auburns, right? Even the color appears to be mid-30s Buick Green. If it's a big 90-Series 344, it probably moves rather well, but if it's a small series engine, maybe not so much. I wonder which transmission and rear end it carries, as the Buicks used torque tubes? Seems like a lot more work that simply finding a correct Lycoming straight-8, no?

There were no production OHV Auburns of any year. I don't know anything about the drive train on that car. I can say that the dual ratio rear diff does not stand up well to the Lycoming flat head eight. They are the weak link in Auburn drive trains.

Yes, engines are available, I have a couple of them.

The car is a 1934 850 Y phaeton. I own one. 652 Y is a 1934 custom six cylinder model. There is no 852 Y. 654 & 852 refers to 1936 six cylinder and eight cylinder respectively. 653 & 851 are 35 models.

The 1934 cars had no badges or markings as to the model. All Auburns are quite rare, particularly the 1934 models. There are only about 15 850 Y phaetons known.

There's a 1935 Auburn 653 Phaeton in my neighborhood. I didn't really know about it until it came to a local cruise in. I wonder how rare that one is?

I never paid much attention to the one photo showing the front suicide door open with the rear conventional opening door. What kind of reinforcing did they have to do in the body to achieve that feat on a Phaeton with no roof to reinforce it? It seems like they would pull the pillar post right off the car.

I never paid much attention to the one photo showing the front suicide door open with the rear conventional opening door. What kind of reinforcing did they have to do in the body to achieve that feat on a Phaeton with no roof to reinforce it? It seems like they would pull the pillar post right off the car.

Actually they are very stout. There is a heavy X member frame. All of the bodies open and closed are welded to a heavy L channel sub-frame that slides down over the regular frame they are bolted together both horizontally and vertically. The same configuration was used on all Auburns except for speedsters.

The big Buicks had a 320 cubic inch engine .. Never made a inline 344.

Actually, when Buick introduced straight-8s in 1931, the 80 and 90 series used an all-new 344 cubic inch straight-8, which continued until 1936 when the more familiar 320 was introduced. I owned a '32 90-Series with the 344 and it was powerful and smooth and would be a decent match for the Auburn (provided you couldn't get a correct Lycoming unit, which would obviously be preferable). The smaller Buick 8s were a little soft on torque and to move a big car like that would probably offer tepid performance at best.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gmulcahy
If this car is still for sale, please call me at 757-238-2984.

Tom

Tom, I apologize for missing this....there were so many back and forth posts etc. that the replies were going to spam. Sounds like you've made contact w/ the owners as the ad suggested for details that I couldn't answer. Again, my apologies...glad to hear you've made contact. It is truly a gorgeous car and a wonderful piece of history! Regards!

Guest gmulcahy
I stand corrected ! I know a fellow that went and looked at the car. He told me there was a Buick engine in it. I made the assumption the OP knew what he/she was talking about. In the pix that Scott enhanced, the engine is clearly not a 34-36 Auburn engine.

The OP doesn't know what he/she is talking about. That is why there is a phone number listed to call for the details. I posted it as a favor to help the owners out....

Guest gmulcahy
where in MI?

my husband might be interested.

I am sorry for the delay in responding, I'm not getting notifications of responses on this ad. The Auburn is located in Mason, Mi. It's out on the town today, gorgeous day for a drive in Mi!

Guest gmulcahy
Is the owner interested in a trade or trades ?

Wayne

Thank you for the interest but no on trades at this time.

Guest gmulcahy
It is stated the car has a Buick V8. So it may have a Buick transmission as well.

ALL parts are Auburn w/ the exception of the Buick motor.

Guest gmulcahy

I'm sorry, no trades at this time. Thank you for asking. I did reply a few days back w/ post 29.

Guest AlCapone

My apologies, I did not see your response to my trades question.

Thankyou, Wayne

ps Thanks Curti for the heads up.