Sign in to follow this  
mikeabarringer

1942 Streamliner Chieftain Coupe

hello.

I have a 1942 Streamliner Chieftain Coupe. I need to find out how rare this car really is. Also need to get the info plates deciphered. any help would be appriciated. I would like to know if there is a way to find out what number this car was off the line. i have attached photos of car and plates. Thanks!post-101029-143142538262_thumb.jpeg

post-101029-143142538242_thumb.png

post-101029-143142538253_thumb.jpg

post-101029-143142538254_thumb.jpg

The style number indicates a six cylinder model, the paint code 4200 is for black. I'm not sure about the interior trim number. Is it original?

There were a total of 10,284 Streamliner Sixes in all body styles made.

The style number indicates a six cylinder model, the paint code 4200 is for black. I'm not sure about the interior trim number. Is it original?

There were a total of 10,284 Streamliner Sixes in all body styles made.

According to this book, there were only a total of 2,458 Streamliner Six Chieftains (in all body styles) built....

post-37352-143142538532_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I am curious ! Why do you. need. to know ?

Wayne

I am curious ! Why do you. need. to know ?

Wayne

Maybe he will try to restore it as opposed to changing things and adding a V8 since there were so few built.

Guest BillP

Boy, that'd be a refreshing change from the clip it, chop it and drop it approach that passes for normal these days.

Boy, that'd be a refreshing change from the clip it, chop it and drop it approach that passes for normal these days.

Yeah, and it would be woth so much more $$$ when he's done.

I want to keep it original. But I had a feeling it was extremely rare. I am assuming it is. I would love to keep it stock but it came with no motor or trans. But interior is original and in great shape

Is there a way to find out what number off the line this car was? I am building this car for my son. He loves it. He is 16 and drives a 1948 Plymouth p-15 all original. I just wish I could find a flat 6 to put back into it.

Is there a way to find out what number off the line this car was? I am building this car for my son. He loves it. He is 16 and drives a 1948 Plymouth p-15 all original. I just wish I could find a flat 6 to put back into it.

Scroll on down to the Pontiac section of the forum and find one there.

I think body number C 214 may mean it's the 214th coupe body built. The serial number may shed more light as to it's sequence.

Measure the wheelbase, 6 cyl = 119" 8 cyl = 122".

Any 1942 car is pretty rare since the model year was cut off in April. Only 10% to 15% of any car were coupe models, and of those, Pontiacs were divided into notch back and fast back designs. So, you aren't going to see another one at the mall parking lot or any cruise night you frequent.

Later..... did a little checking (Wikipedia) and they say both 6 and 8 were available on both wheelbases which surprised me. The 8 is a longer engine. Maybe you can get a clue from the location of the rad and motor mounts. If the same car had both engines the frame should be drilled for both mount locations.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I think body number C 214 may mean it's the 214th coupe body built. The serial number may shed more light as to it's sequence.
Thats what it would mean if it was a Buick. C will be the assembly plant

Style 42-2607D

42 = 1942

2 = Ponti as a guess (Buick is 4)

607D=??

Some info, but not the most reliable source

http://www.classiccardatabase.com/search.php?year=1942&make=Pontiac&series=8916

http://www.classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=8916&year=1942&model=19401

Better to ask here Pontiac Flathead Owners sub forum

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Interesting how the production figures are skewed toward the 8 cylinder Streamline Chieftains, there were 11,041 of them, but only 2,458 6's.

thank you all for your help. I am going to try and find motor and trans to keep this original.

I would find out which years Pontiac used this design - they did not do major engine designs often. This will greatly expand your likelihood of finding a suitable donor

ALL Pontiac models ( A or B bodies ) could have a six or a eight and the quick way to tell is the molding on the hood is plain on the six and the eight has the word eight in the molding. Refer to Keslers table on thread #6

Thats what it would mean if it was a Buick. C will be the assembly plant

Style 42-2607D

42 = 1942

2 = Ponti as a guess (Buick is 4)

607D=??

Some info, but not the most reliable source

http://www.classiccardatabase.com/search.php?year=1942&make=Pontiac&series=8916

http://www.classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=8916&year=1942&model=19401

Better to ask here Pontiac Flathead Owners sub forum

Style 42-2607D

42 = 1942

6 = six cylinder

07 = 2 door sedan

D = deluxe

"Rare" is a very overused term to the point that it is meaningless these days. A car where there were over 2,500 of it made plus the over 11,000 V-8 versions that are pretty much indistinguishable from the V-6 versions means that while they are not sitting in everyone's garages they are not uncommon. Fo me a more realistic use of the term "rare" are autos that had hand-built coach work where most every one was unique or different.

Another example is I bought new and owned for 6 years a 1993 Nissan 240 SXSE convertible. They made 500 of them that year. I did not consider it rare, just a less than common car.

80607topdown.jpg

Edited by Kimo (see edit history)

"Rare" is a very overused term to the point that it is meaningless these days. A car where there were over 2,500 of it made plus the over 1,000 V-8 versions that are pretty much indistinguishable from the V-6

actually I think number of V8 = number of V6 = zero

• Like 1

I heard that.