Sway Bar Links

Guest hopair

Guest hopair

Happy Summer. Time to get to my repairs for my 1991 Reatta. My mechanic says I need to replace my front sway bar links and mounts to correct loose/rattling noise. What parts do these involve? Also need to replace both front struts(leaked out). (I found some Monroe no. 71854 struts on eBay for $65/ea.) He wants to charge me $770 for the total job. Has anyone done this and what was the cost and outcome. They charge $95/hr. labor. Thanks

The sway bar end links you need are in The Reatta Store. You can also find the struts you need in the Reatta Store at a good price with free shipping. You may need strut mount kits, if you have a rattling problem.

Instructions for installing the struts are on my website Reatta Owners Journal. It's not a bad job if you are handy with tools.

Guest hopair

Thanks Ronnie, Your link for struts and mounting kits sends me to amazon...for $65 and $45 respectfully...is that correct?

Think I'll have the mechanic do it. The springs look tricky and getting too old.

I'm getting different part nos. for front sway bar links??

Yes, that is correct. The Reatta Store is an Amazon associate store. The parts are ordered and shipped through Amazon.

The springs are the hardest part. You can get spring compressors from most auto parts stores. They will loan them to you with just a deposit that you will get back when you return them. If you don't feel confident in doing it maybe you should use a mechanic to get it done.

Maybe the difference in part numbers for the sway bar link could be due to different brands or possibly because the one in The Reatta Store has a grease fitting and some others don't. What number are you coming up with?

Went to a national chain muffler shop for an exhaust rattle, while there asked for a quote for front struts and stab bar bushings. Quote was $1330, (sticker shock, may have included front and rear--I didn't wait around to find out). Anyhow, I'll be removing the struts myself and using new parts from The Reatta Store-would recommended not trying to move the springs from the old to new struts yourself--can be dangerous--a local mechanic here charges $15 per spring--he has the correct compressor and does this for a living. After the new struts are installed, you will need an alignment. An earlier posting cautioned about providing the shop with the info from the Buick manual on alignment--seems that some of the info the shop may have (on their computer) is not correct.

Thanks for all the help Ronnie. Found sway bar link an will have my mechanic so the labor.
Glad to be able to assist you in finding the part numbers you needed. I hope you found a good deal on them. May I ask why you choose not to purchase them from The Reatta Store?

Guest hopair

Hi buickguy62. I got a quote from my mechanic to replace the front struts, mounts and front sway bar links for approx $770. I get a lot of loose/rattling sounds.

Thanks for the alignment info. They did it after replacing the R.F. Inner Tie Rod and it's pulling to the right. Any specs to pass on to him to correct this? He's going to have to re-do them anyway.

Other than that...Getting to old for heavy work these days, only minor tweaks here and there.

Guest hopair

Sorry Ronnie for the confusion. I meant to say I'll be ordering the first of the month. Getting the ones with the grease fittings. Retirement makes you crazy juggling finances..

Guest hopair

I'm working with my mechanic to let me buy the parts myself. They frown on that a lot.

Glad to be able to assist you in finding the part numbers you needed. I hope you found a good deal on them. May I ask why you choose not to purchase them from The Reatta Store?

No problem. Buying from the Reatta Store isn't a requirement for me helping anyone find the Buick Reatta parts they need. I'm always happy to help. I realize that purchasing from The Reatta store may not be the best option in some circumstances. Whenever you can purchase from the Reatta Store it is very much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who uses The Reatta Store to buy your Reatta parts. It helps me maintain my Reatta websites at no cost to you.