Is there a difference between 1936 and 1938 Special engines?

carlisle1926

My 1938 Special sedan has a severely destroyed engine. The car is weathered but presentable and I do not intend to restore it, but rather preserve it as much as possible and drive it as is. I've located a decent 1936 Special engine that might work to repower the car. My question is, is there any difference between the two engines that might not let me just drop it in my car?

A lot of difference 1936 to 1938. The most obvious physical difference is the side oil filer. 1938 (or was it 1937) was a new design of 248ci. This design, with some changes, continued to about 1950. Then it became 263ci. You can fit any 248/263 1938-1953 engine to your car. No idea if a '36 would fit into a 1938 easily.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

The Special engine in 1936 is a smaller displacement engine than the 248 of 1938. '36 has 233 cu. inches, but it will fit. The '36 engine also has the starter switch in a different place, being located on top of the rear portion of the intake manifold; whereas the '38 engine has the starter switch on the side of the carburetor. Therefore, the linkages will be different. I suppose you could swap out the manifolds and carburetors between the two engines (that's a guess, someone else will have to confirm).

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Jason, if you get anything but a `38 engine, front motor mount plate, bell-housing, are a couple items that will have to be changed. The `36 233 engine(flat top pistons) is the same bore as the `38 248. The oil pan is different on the `36 233. The 248 has domed pistons and a longer stroke, more HP. The `48 engine is a side mount, but will work with parts off your `38 engine. Changing front mount plate means removing, harmonic balancer, timing cover, timing chain and gears. To change bell-housing, oil pan may have to be removed to get the flywheel off, flywheel has to come off because of two mounting bolts to engine behind flywheel. If you`ve never worked on one of these engines you`re in for a new experience and education. In away I`m glad you didn`t want the new `41 super 248 I have to sell.. Good luck.. Tom

Jason, starter switch on the `37 could possibly be like the `36, and clutch disc(spline) may be different from `38, and would have to be changed for the 38 transmission. Otherwise I think they`re the same, motor mounts and all. Maybe someone will confirm.. Any luck getting in touch with Dave Tacheny? Tom