Help Identifying Vehicle

Guest cupertino

This coupe is an early ("bug-eyed") '38 Plymouth. People laughed at their silly bug-eyed look so much that the dealers threw a fit with Detroit. Plymouth quickly modified the headlight position by moving the headlights back 4" and down 2". It's possible that I have that backwards (sorry). Anyway, most owners of early '38 Plymouths don't even realize the difference until it's pointed out to them.

Here's another early model:

10PIC52.jpg

Here's a model built after the first few weeks:

Plymouth_P6_Royal_De_Luxe_4-Door_Touring_Sedan_1938.jpg

Guest cupertino

Thanks for quick reply . The front certainly looks the same , but vehicle is a 4 door. I assume there was also a two door version similar to photos I posted. Are these models collectible or common and not very valuable. Looking at the 2 door version I could see it turned into a "hot rod".

A quick google image search shows that plenty of these have already been hot rodded. If it is still sound it should be restored. Out of a total of about 275,000 Plymouths built in 1938, only about 35,000 were coupes. This one looks to be a P6 Deluxe version because it has vent windows. According to The Standard Catalog, the head lights change came 'midway through production'.

Guest cupertino

Can somebody suggest where best place to advertise for sale would be ?

Also where can I find chassis #

thanks to all

A quick google image search shows that plenty of these have already been hot rodded. If it is still sound it should be restored. Out of a total of about 275,000 Plymouths built in 1938, only about 35,000 were coupes. This one looks to be a P6 Deluxe version because it has vent windows. According to The Standard Catalog, the head lights change came 'midway through production'.

I'm pretty sure my info is accurate. It came from "The Plymouth Story". My very first car was a $20 bug-eyed '38 Plymouth back in '65. I've seen a lot of '38 Plymouths over the years and I would guess that less than 20% of them have the odd headlight placement. What I read indicated that they scrambled very quickly to solve the fairly obvious mistake and calm the dealers uproar. 1938 was a recession year in the midst of the Depression.

The dealers must have been absolutely traumatized to have potential buyers show up to see the new models, only to leave laughing. I assure all of you that this isn't a case where lower production numbers made them more valuable in the least. The surprising thing about the headlight placement issue is that '37 Plymouths were quite balanced looking in that regard. The styling changes made to the '38 simply advanced the themes of the '37s for the most part, so it's anyone's guess as to how they could screw up so badly.