Package tray work on my '63

JanZverina

Next on the to-do list, after taking a break from the engine compartment, was to investigate the rear parcel shelf condition. The black vinyl on mine was coming loose just below the lower edge of the rear window, where the shelf bends up to meet the window. After removing the rear seats (easy if you follow the body manual), I pulled the shelf and found that the formed, thick, stippled hardboard base, almost like Masonite, was in really good condition and even showing a date of 10-15-62. Unfortunately the vinyl covering was pretty brittle (We'll all take sun damage over water damage, I guess) so I'm using the old skin as a template for a new one. Here's a pix of the dated shelf, as well as one showing the original hardboard panel behind the rear seat. I do wonder, however, if the PO removed or had someone remove the seats to undercoat the floorpan from the inside? Has anyone else with an original first-gen Riv seen this type of shiny black undercoating?

post-56475-143142528701_thumb.jpg

post-56475-143142528616_thumb.jpg

post-56475-143142528663_thumb.jpg

Guest clamshells

When I read the title I immediately thought Clark's for one of their indestructible fiberglass reproductions, but seeing the amazing condition of the cardboard I have to say I'd keep it original too. I clicked on the both pics to find nothing short of a fantastic condition car you have. Looking forward to more pics when you're done.

Im envious, mine crumbled when we removed it. The 10 years of desert sun beating down on it dry rotted it....and I dont have the divider either, behind the seats.

Mine had water damage; bought one of Clark's but have not installed it yet. My divider is also in bad shape and was wondering what I might make a new one with. Anybody done that?

Steve

Hey Jan! sorry to hijack your thread, BUT.....my original shelf looked great until a year or two ago when the vinyl started coming away from the backing in a couple of spots right in the bend, & the "bubbles" that have formed are slowly getting bigger. I have a syringe with needle (used to give my 20 yr old cat B12 injections) & thinking I could inject some adhesive & press the vinyl onto the backing. The problems I'm anticipating are finding an adhesive that will work with the tiny needle ( slow drying superglue gel, maybe?), & worrying about where the air will escape. Will the porous backing absorb it or should I try to press it out the glue hole? Anybody with any insight or suggestions will be appreciated, Drew the Rivnik Hey Ed! is X2 a product name or does that mean you've done two of them?

Hey Jan! sorry to hijack your thread, BUT.....my original shelf looked great until a year or two ago when the vinyl started coming away from the backing in a couple of spots right in the bend, & the "bubbles" that have formed are slowly getting bigger. I have a syringe with needle (used to give my 20 yr old cat B12 injections) & thinking I could inject some adhesive & press the vinyl onto the backing. The problems I'm anticipating are finding an adhesive that will work with the tiny needle ( slow drying superglue gel, maybe?), & worrying about where the air will escape. Will the porous backing absorb it or should I try to press it out the glue hole? Anybody with any insight or suggestions will be appreciated, Drew the Rivnik Hey Ed! is X2 a product name or does that mean you've done two of them?

Hi Rivnik,

That was the same problem with my shelf - the vinyl started lifting off the bend on the trailing edge of the board. What I did was to buy some very thin cotton "batting" at a fabric store and glue that to the board first using Permatex Headliner and Carpet adhesive spray (the yellow stuff). I then sprayed the batting to glue the vinyl in place after using the old piece as a template. My theory is that the vinyl should adhere to the batting better than the board itself. The batting also helps smooth out any surface imperfections in the board, especially where the vinyl wraps around it. I think a syringe would clog with adhesive, but maybe you can gain access via the three small screw holes across the board at the trailing edge?

I had my package shelf off about 20 years ago and saw the bare composition board. I figured anything to keep it from absorbing moisture, even from the air, would be a good idea. So I gave it a good soaking coat of varnish on the exposed board. It has held up well.

Bernie

Hi Rivnik,

I then sprayed the batting to glue the vinyl in place after using the old piece as a template. My theory is that the vinyl should adhere to the batting better than the board itself. ?

I was just doing a bit of research on a 'Sound Deadener' site that was very interesting. One of the things the author stated was that vinyl is not easily attached to things. It takes a vinyl specific glue to get the job done. Let us know if yours stays 'stuck'.

Steve

I was just doing a bit of research on a 'Sound Deadener' site that was very interesting. One of the things the author stated was that vinyl is not easily attached to things. It takes a vinyl specific glue to get the job done. Let us know if yours stays 'stuck'.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Unlike the original vinyl, the new material has a slightly waffled cloth-like backing, which I was told would help with the sticking. Pix attached of the material as well as the shelf now installed. post-56475-143142532747_thumb.jpg

post-56475-143142532723_thumb.jpg

I just ordered a fiberglass reproduction from Lee Sulis (ROA Member #3593) 805-733-4082. He advertises in the back of the Riview & very easy to talk to. He told me that Clarks ordered 10 package trays from him & began their own reproduction of them at the cost to us of $340. According to Clarks website, for that price you get the fiberglass reproduction package tray covered with padding and vinyl in the color of your choice. Sounds like a steal??? Not to me...

Lee Sulis only sells the fiberglass reproduction of the package tray but for less than half ($150) the cost of Clarks version. As I continue to read thru this forum, we all seem to do most of our own work. I may be naive but I don't think covering this package tray myself with padding & vinyl will cost more than $190 to match the cost of Clarks tray....

My friend ordered two package trays for his two 65's from Lee Sulis & was very happy with the quality. I do not know what his final covering option will be but I'm sure he will use the padding & vinyl also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
Guest KS-Competition
I just ordered a fiberglass reproduction from Lee Sulis (ROA Member #3593) 805-733-4082. He advertises in the back of the Riview & very easy to talk to. He told me that Clarks ordered 10 package trays from him & began their own reproduction of them at the cost to us of $340. According to Clarks website, for that price you get the fiberglass reproduction package tray covered with padding and vinyl in the color of your choice. Sounds like a steal??? Not to me...

Lee Sulis only sells the fiberglass reproduction of the package tray but for less than half ($150) the cost of Clarks version. As I continue to read thru this forum, we all seem to do most of our own work. I may be naive but I don't think covering this package tray myself with padding & vinyl will cost more than $190 to match the cost of Clarks tray....

My friend ordered two package trays for his two 65's from Lee Sulis & was very happy with the quality. I do not know what his final covering option will be but I'm sure he will use the padding & vinyl also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you got any pictures of the one that Lee Sulis made? I bought one from CARS.inc but it is only a blank cardboard and I am sure it will not look good in the car. How did yours fit in the car, any problems when mounting it?

Edited by KS-Competition
Found a picture. (see edit history)

My divider is also in bad shape and was wondering what I might make a new one with. Anybody done that? Steve

You can make a new trunk divider from any fibreboard, foam core, tempered, or un-tempered Masonite by using the original as a pattern.

The tempered Masonite is almost impervious to moisture, but it is a little harder to work with.

I used it on my '68 sail panels, and rear seat trunk divider.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Thanks Randy; I already discovered that and did it awhile back but have been slothful about posting it.

post-92559-143142995811_thumb.jpg

They actually sell sheets in the perfect size for this at the Depot. 2' x 4'

post-92559-143142995829_thumb.jpg

After finishing it, I covered with some 1/8" closed cell foam and then 1/8" mass loaded vinyl for sound deadening.

Steve

post-92559-143142995791_thumb.jpg

post-92559-143142995801_thumb.jpg

post-92559-14314299582_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

The divider on my 63 is original, in pretty good shape (the only thing on my car that wasn't trashed), and it's exposed right now since I'm getting ready to install the remainder of the interior. It wouldn't be a big deal for me to pull it off and trace it on large format craft paper if that would be helpful to you guys as a template. Let me know. PRL

Pete,

I went back and reread all of the posts. If my count is correct, four of us need a template - SloSteve, RockinRiviDad, Pyntre, and myself.  Does that mean that you want two hats or do we split the cost of the hat four ways?  :)

You other three guys that I mentioned.  Are you still in?  The hat is $12 plus $4 S&H.

Ed

Ha-I'm gonna need more craft paper. You guys let me know who needs a template. Another way we could do it is I can knock one out and then we can mail it around and share it. I only have one head so I need only one hat. Either way, sounds like I'm gonna be sporting a new hat soon. Let me know. Thx PRL

Personally, I'd like to have one of my own. Not trying to be selfish but  I've got my '64 down to that point now; the '63 is waiting in the wings and I don't know what I need there; and there's a '65 a friend of mine has that I've spoken for and I don't know if it needs one or not.

Ed

Thanks for the reply and the offer , I am easy to work with , whatever is easiest for the masses ...I am more than willing to send some cash too if that works best ! I am in Minnesota , sort of along the template theme , I made a template of the firewall when I smoothed it ... Custom .... But do have that on craft paper rolled up in the garage if anyone would ever need it! Turned out very nice!! Count me in on the order for the rear seat divider template ....THANKS MUCH

I'm going to trace out two. I'll mail one to Ed and the other to Pyntre. PM me your preferred mail destination. You guys figure out the hat thing.( My address: Pete Lempert, 4006 University Boulevard, Dallas, Texas, 75205). Anybody else that wants a template can either bargain with you guys or tempt me with some interesting and very modest Buick/Riv bauble that will compel me to buy more craft paper. Let the tracing begin. Thx PRL

Wow! I just got bopped up side the head by an email from Alini wondering where I've been. So I checked into the forum & found this thread, what timing…

Thx Ed for mentioning my name. Yes I am very interested in a template…pretty please. Whoever want to work it out with me would be fine. I can send mula, dinero or cashola. Or if u prefer something else just let me know

Sounds like you have an opportunity for a small business.  I need one for my '65 and I'm sure more people will pop in and see this thread and have a need.  Save an original tracing and have some made.  I know I'd pay to have one.  Don't have any Rivi baubles though. :)

Mike

Pyntre, MT65Riv, Rockinrivdad and Ed-Heard you loud and clear. I'll trace out one for each of you. I'm just going to trace mine on craft paper, put it in a tube and mail them. Keep your expectations low, they might be met. Hopefully you guys can wait two weeks or so. I'm going on vacation tomorrow and won't be back until late July. In the meantime, PM me your mailing address (Ed already did), I'll send them when I get back and then we can settle up. I'm doing this for the Riv brotherhood so when I say settle up, I'm sort of joking. Once you get your template, mail me something back that you think a fellow Riv addict might like…whatever that means. PRL

• 3 weeks later...

I just mailed a tracing of the divider to Ed and Pyntre. It's on craft paper and isn't anything fancy, but it should do the job. I never got any address info for RockinRivdad or MT65Riv. If you guys want one, now is the time. PM me your address otherwise, I'm going to put my divider back in my car. Let me know. PRL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carlbraun

I bought the fiberglass repro form Clarks and had them cover it in the correct vinyl...nice.  I can provide some pics soon.

also...I have LOTS of correct BLACK vinyl for the early rivs.  I bought of bunch extra and have a big roll if you need.  The roll looks 5' wide and lots of feet long...let me know if you need some at a reduced price

Carl