Without the evolution of moving the earth, our antique cars would not exist.

Dandy Dave

More... Here is a few photo's of Dandy Dave's L'il Digger with a new Caterpillar mini excavator. The old and the new way of moving the earth. You can buy the Mini Cat for around $21,500.

post-44142-14314252668_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142526686_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142526692_thumb.jpg

I ran this Koehring for a little while. Nice machine. Also a very large Manitowoc on display. These old machines cut a lot of the Interstate Highways we use everyday. Dandy Dave!

For more info look up .. http://www.nationalpike.com/

post-44142-143142526732_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142526744_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142526779_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

It's Mary Anne and Mike! :D :cool:

Digging (no pun intended) these magnificent beasts. I like old farm and construction machinery just as much as old cars.

Thanks Dave!

You should come to this show someday. It is the largest digging show in the USA. I had a great time. The August show conflicts with HCEA (Historic Construction Equipment Association) meet at Canandaigua this year.

Digging (no pun intended) these magnificent beasts. I like old farm and construction machinery just as much as old cars.

Thanks Dave!

No kidding, My favorite book as a kid... Also Katy and the Big Snow!

Wish it was closer to me, thanks for the great pics Mr. Dandy Dave!

Is that red Lorain shown in the first group of pictures actually steam powered? If so, cool, but keep yer distance!;) Very nice photographs Dave, and thanks. I could really get into trouble (while having a hell of a lotta fun) trying to operate one of those serious earth moving machines. I should probably stick to cuttin' the grass.

Cheers,

Grog

Thanks for posting Dave. Brownsville is just down the road from where I grew up. My first interest was in heavy equipment as my Godfather ran a coal stripping business. He always saved the equipment magazines for me from the late 50s.

Larry

Is that red Lorain shown in the first group of pictures actually steam powered? If so, cool, but keep yer distance!;) Very nice photographs Dave, and thanks. I could really get into trouble (while having a hell of a lotta fun) trying to operate one of those serious earth moving machines. I should probably stick to cuttin' the grass.

Cheers,

Grog

The Thew in the first photos is steam. The others are mostly Diesel, a few are Gas. Dandy Dave!

Thanks for posting Dave. Brownsville is just down the road from where I grew up. My first interest was in heavy equipment as my Godfather ran a coal stripping business. He always saved the equipment magazines for me from the late 50s.

Larry

Glad that you enjoy the photos Larry. Those old Magazines are fun to look though. Dandy Dave!

Dave,

When I was President of the National Pike Chapter of the BCA we used to tour the day of the steam show to Brownsville, arriving early afternoon for a late lunch of bean soup and shoo-fly pie. They/we did this every year for (I think) decades. I haven't been there since moving to Ohio in 2001.

:cool:

Did our contingent of Buicks arrive there this weekend as usual?

Nice photos, don't want to rush through the Summer but the Fall Meet in Kent, Ct. is one of my favorite events every year. Bob

Bob and John, Yup. I run the old Hanson Shovel at Kent. I did not get there this fall because of a knee problem which is better now. Dandy Dave!

Dave,

When I was President of the National Pike Chapter of the BCA we used to tour the day of the steam show to Brownsville, arriving early afternoon for a late lunch of bean soup and shoo-fly pie. They/we did this every year for (I think) decades. I haven't been there since moving to Ohio in 2001.

:cool:

Did our contingent of Buicks arrive there this weekend as usual?

They told me the show was a little livelier in August. Maybe the Buicks come then? Most of the time I was in the dirt playing with the other big boys and girls so I did not notice.

Just noticed there are younger guys operating some of this stuff. That's even better- we know there's still interest and appreciation!

Yes. Glad to see the younger generation going to it. My little shovel lights a little spark for a lot of them. There are some very knowledgeable older folks there to learn from. No stress, just dig if you want, and stop when you please. No contests, or trophies or baloney. Just move dirt to your hearts content. It is really fun to watch a couple of experienced operators digging side by side in unison. Even more fun if you are one of the operators. Dandy Dave!

Here is a model 41 Hanson That is in my yard. I rescued this shovel in 1982. It is a 1952. Only 7 Model 41's were built that year. Still runs and has all of its original glass. The engine is a Buda gas model. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143142528588_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142528592_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142528597_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142528601_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142528606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Thanks Dave!

Never realized it before, but I like this stuff too. Maybe not quite as much as old cars, because I don't know as much about them, but they still turn my head whenever I come upon them. Thanks for the pix!

There is a good turn out of Vintage cars & trucks in keeping with the old machinery. Bob

I am a bit slow in getting back to posting, but I just wanted to say - "Dandy Dave knows FUN".

I will keep my eyes open for the Kent, CT show.

John

My Grandson just turned two, and his Dad has had him sitting on his lap running equipment, he's going to have a great time at Kent this year. Bob

Bob and John, Yup. I run the old Hanson Shovel at Kent. I did not get there this fall because of a knee problem which is better now. Dandy Dave!

Bob, The attachment on my Hanson Model 41 is considered a drag hoe. Basically the beginnings of a Back Hoe. These also could be equipped with a shovel front, Crain boom, Dragline bucket or a clam bucket. Dandy Dave!

When the Interstate system was built in our part of the country in 1957-58 the steel bridge beams were delivered from Bethlehem Steel by chain drive Macks and I believe Sterlings. A local truck shop had the contract to switch out the small drive sprockets for larger drive sprockets for the faster unloaded trip back to Bethlehem.