My '35

Guest Randy Hall

Guest Randy Hall

Goodmorning , Let me start by saying I have enjoyed looking and reading about everyone's Buicks. This appears to be the place to get the answers you mind not find at your traditional garage. I believe that a lot has to do with the fact most of the mechanics working were not even born when these cars were built. I own a 1935 Series 40 business that I have building for 3 years now. I have been driving it while doing so until 3 weeks ago when I got it out of storage and drove it about 10 miles when I herd a big bang (not the Thursday night show that I love) towed it to the garage to find that the nuts holding the ring in place in the rear end had loosened up and destroyed the ring and pinion.

With that said I am looking for help and or direction to find replacement part I have been looking now for about 2 weeks and have had 1 junk yard not only sell me a rear end out of a 38 told me it would be a direct fit according to his book. I learned something new this week though very frustrating I will use that as a tool while I continue my quest to fix my car. Thanks for listening and any help would be greatly appreciated Randy

Welcome to the forum

From my reading of the Master Parts List of Chassis Parts for Buick 1928 to 1941 the 1934 and 1935 series 40 are the same. 39:9 ratio 4.33 to1.

Try Dave Tachney, MN, but very hard to contact

The guy that told 1938 would fit direct is being a little economical with the truth in my opinon.

Guest Randy Hall

thanks for the information . I do have Dave's Number and will continue to try and call him.

NOS ring and pinions for 1934/35 Series 40 Buicks do come up on ebay from time to time ( purchased a NOS set myself when restoring my 1934 ).

The parts book lists them as

Group No 5.529 GEAR SET, Ring and pinion ( less differential case )

Part No 1399535 1934-35 Series 40 (39:9 ratio 4.444 to 1 )

Suggest you keep a close eye on ebay

This is a set for 1934/35 50 Series Buick but won't fit your application. You could try the seller as I think he did have some NOS 40 Series sets

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1934-1935-Buick-Crown-Wheel-Pinion-9x44-NOS-/380018536627?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item587adeb0b3

Goodmorning , Let me start by saying I have enjoyed looking and reading about everyone's Buicks. This appears to be the place to get the answers you mind not find at your traditional garage. I believe that a lot has to do with the fact most of the mechanics working were not even born when these cars were built. I own a 1935 Series 40 business that I have building for 3 years now. I have been driving it while doing so until 3 weeks ago when I got it out of storage and drove it about 10 miles when I herd a big bang (not the Thursday night show that I love) towed it to the garage to find that the nuts holding the ring in place in the rear end had loosened up and destroyed the ring and pinion.

With that said I am looking for help and or direction to find replacement part I have been looking now for about 2 weeks and have had 1 junk yard not only sell me a rear end out of a 38 told me it would be a direct fit according to his book. I learned something new this week though very frustrating I will use that as a tool while I continue my quest to fix my car. Thanks for listening and any help would be greatly appreciated Randy

Randy,

Were there more parts ruined than the ring & pinion gears? Are you looking for the complete rear axle assembly, or just the gears? I've been going through the same hassel you are for my 1936 ser 40 Business Coupe (purchased what was supposed to be for my car but turned out to be a modified 1937 setup). I also contacted Dave Tachney, who is a very nice guy and easy to talk to. He referred me to French Lake Auto wrecking, also in MN, who indicated that they have the complete rear end for my car. But, being once bitten, I asked them to verify the casting number of the third member housing which they couldn't find (probably because of dirt and grease and still attached to the car). So, I then asked them to verify the casting number of the differential bearing caps, which they were able to do. I then purchased the assembly and am now awaiting shipment and crossing my fingers that it is the correct setup.

The bottom line to all this rambling is: Whatever you're looking for, if a part has a casting number or other ID on it try to have the seller verify that his part has the same markings. Good luck.

Les