An unlikely admirer.

My wife and I were standing in line to get some ice cream in a Rite-Aid drugstore when she called my attention to a man who'd just pulled a black car into the parking spot next to ours. The guy got out and made several laps around the Reatta, then leaned on his car and just hung around. When we walked out to the car he asked "Is that really a Buick?" When I confirmed, he asked, "When did they start making two-seaters?" I told him 1988. He shook his head, got into his car and drove off. As he pulled out, I recognized the car. It was Bentley Continental. Too bad he didn't offer a trade.

I love it when that happens.I've had similar situations, including having the owner of a BMW 750il give me serious props while fueling at the adjacent pump one evening.

Had another where a guy in a newish Mercedes convertible (don't know what model as I am not an authority on their product line) told me what a nice car it was as I was leaving a restaurant I frequent.

Always nice to have some validation for ones efforts. This is especially true when we've (Reatta owners) decided to go with a car that is rather overlooked and not generally well regarded by the uninitiated masses. All the more so when the ones giving the compliments are driving cars with such stratospheric reputations and price tags.

I will say the convertible generates much more attention and curious glances than the coupes I have. Granted, red kind of jumps out more than white, but I guess a drop top is just more gaze worthy.

KDirk

I have to say that your cars everytime I have seen them always look better that most Reattas that I see from time to time. A Reatta in really great conditiion will always attract attention

Your cars are always clean even in the middle of the winter and its snowing.

I appreciate the standard that you set.

Chuck,

I really appreciate that. I will confess that one of the reasons I really like code 40 white is that it is not pure white. I've been surprised at how well it hides the dinginess that normally plagues white cars. Point being that I probably don't work quite as hard at it as it may appear.

Bird droppings are the big problem (or road tar and such on the lower rockers) but I try to wipe those off as quickly as possible to prevent etching the clear coat.

Wheels are also tough. I spent over an hour each on my two coupes with chrome wheels last week getting them decent again. This was the first full detailing of those wheels since last fall and it showed. Brake dust is one of the worst things there is regarding vehicle appearance.

Finally, I will reiterate what a guy who worked as a detailer for a limo outfit once told me: keep the glass spotless and the car will always look good even if the rest is a bit dirty. Obviously, color has some bearing on that and I've found red is not as easy to keep clean as the white is.

KDirk

I pulled in to a parking spot at 5-Guys a few days ago & a new Cad pulled in along side of me. He asked if I would be interested in buying his large screen TV I told him no & asked why he would think I would be interested in what he had to sell. He said I figured anyone driveing a car like that could afford to buy it. I did not bother to tell him how inexpensive a Reatta really is.

I was running some errands the other day in my '89 coupe daily driver. It's a decent, 115K car, but not nearly on par with my '91 vert.

Anyway, a fairly new black Corvette ragtop pulled up next to me at a stop light. The driver was probably around 50 and was checking out my Reatta like he had never seen one in his life. Just before the light turned green he put down his window, gave me TWO 'thumbs up' signs, and shouted "helluva car!" then floored the 'Vette and roared down the street.

I was so stunned I sat there in shock until the guy behind me had to toot his horn to remind me the light was green. Life is full of neat surprises, right?

Bob