1934 plymouth steering wheel orientation

rageracing

On my '33 Plymouth, if you properly center the wheel (full turn lock to lock and then back 1/2 way) you end up with the a spoke vertically on top. And the splines on the shaft the pitman arm attaches to are such that that is the only way you'll have a centered wheel with proper internal clearances.

For years I thought the wheel should be such that a spoke was vertically down and you just can't do it with the way the splines on the output of the steering gear box are set up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the '34 Plymouth was the same as the '33 in that respect even though the front end is totally different ('33 with a tubular "beam" axle, '34 PE and PF with independent front suspension).

I stand corrected, ply33 is right and the 34 is the same way. See the Maintenance Manual, Group 11 (Steering), page 3:

"Before installing the pitman arm, the steering gear should be set in its mid-position which can be determined by turning the steering wheel from one extreme position to the other, counting the number of turns required, and then turning the wheel back half the number of turns required for the full swing. In this position, the spoke of the steering wheel which has the trademark on its under side should be pointing directly up in a vertical position from the steering wheel hub.

"With the steering wheel in this position, the pitman arm should then be installed on the serrations so that it points straight forward."

Since the steering wheel is on with a keystock as opposed to splines, it cannot be 'shifted' such that the spokes are in a different position.

Thanks guys. That is exactly how it ended up. The spoke that is pointing straight up from the hub has the insignia on the back side. Lares had a yellow center mark painted on the box indicating center of the box and that is also aligned. My dad came up today and thought it looked off till he sat in the seat and was like thats yep..that feels right. The rebuilt box feels great. Cant wait to put the carb back on and take it for a drive.