1926 Standard Bumper brackets

hidden_hunter

I'm looking to get some bumpers made up for the 1926 Standard Six, I've got some originals that are too far gone to be used on the car but are going to be used as a template. Unfortunately they're missing the bracket to mount them to the car, does anyone have a template or photo's that I can give to my fabricator?

(and yes finding someone that deals in spring steel here in Aus is difficult)

post-99738-143142516806_thumb.jpg

hi here are some pictures one of the photos is the pattern I used for the front bumper I should have a pattern for the back brackets need to find it I used ten mill plate for the front bumpers .screwed some round bar and welded it top and bottom to make a clamp set up for bars. and 6 mill for the back and bolted it to the chassis it is sandwiched between the fuel tank covers and chassis they are joined together with a 10 by 50 mill bar the front brackets use existing bolt holes let me now if this is of any help I could take more pictures if you want to go down this road.

but I look at your pictures and they look like you could do something with them I would get the chrome platter to grind and polish one of them and have a look there is plenty of thickness to play with also your car looks like a master so you may need to look at different set ups as I don't have the round bar at the front of my car tony

post-99738-143142516772_thumb.jpg

post-99738-143142516783_thumb.jpg

post-99738-14314251679_thumb.jpg

post-99738-143142516798_thumb.jpg

Tonybuick:

Thank you for the photos as I had been planning to install bumpers on my 1925-25. The set I had bought post-79073-143142517891_thumb.jpg"Buckeye"

will look quite correct except the brackets that came with it are of a very different configuration. So the adapter plates you show look like what I will need to make mine work.

As to hidden hunters question. Buick did not supply bumpers so all that appear on our cars are after market items. Higher end products were nickel plated while some like mine may be a combination. From what I gathered from others I have spoken to on the subject of bumpers. It seems to be a city/country cousin situation. If you lived in the city with its hectic traffic, bumpers were a necessity. In rural areas with no traffic and occasional trips to town, bumpers were not as important. Unless you needed to nudge a cow now and then.

Larry

hi Larry I have a 25x25 same car just about I have one side mount thou good cars the best buick made I've done 15000 miles in mine very little trouble with it . with the front brackets you will need spacers or washers to pack it out a wee bit to clear rivet heads etc and I cut a half circle out to clear front shackle bolt . with the back ones it does push the tank cover out a bit but a little bit of guard adjusting seems to get it if you need more pictures of brackets let me now tony

I just restored a 27 Buick model 27-27 that was made into a woodie wagon in 1927. I couldn't find the flat bars so bought 31 Model A stainless steel bumpers. Same as my 26-27 Buick with weed Bumpers. They are stainless steel and about 2" shorter than the weed bumpers. if you want I can e-mail pictures. I was lucky to find weed brackets on E-Bay. I also had a friend make the back flat bar at his welding shop. Good Luck