1957 Century Vinyl Headliner Paint results

1958bkspecial

I thought I would follow up my post back in March about painting a vinyl headliner in my '57 Century 4 door post. Whoever recommended using the SEM vinyl paint products, THANK YOU! !!! I think they work great and the spray nozzle definitely flows better than the cheaper brands. I used the SEM vinyl prep and cleaner. The rust stains did not diminish much as you can see.

From the pictures I am going to post you will see the use of bungee strap hooks to spray the sun visors. Also, blue painters tape to carefully tape off the interior trim. I also wore head-cover and a face mask. It certainly helped to have a perfect day to leave the doors open and air the paint. It took 3 cans of SEM White -15313 Color Coat. There are many variations of white but after the test run, basic white matched perfectly! The last picture of the post is out of order and before painting. Hope this helps. JR

post-89355-143142510639_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142510671_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142510702_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142510732_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142510762_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142510794_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142510825_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142510856_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142510886_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1958bkspecial
spelling (see edit history)

I would like to add that I was able to get the SEM brand paint and vinyl prep cleaner at my Sherwin Williams paint store. The Color Coat was around $15.00 each. I would order it online at" Amazon" next time if I knew how much I was going to need and what color. Shipping would have been free for the bulk and cost less. There is also a SEM color chart on line. Just search that when looking. Thank you for the words of encouragement. JR

Hello JR

I enjoyed reading your article and seeing the vinyl paint job which you did and it looks great. I am looking to paint or dye my dash pad and would be interested to find out whether either method is long lasting, or a quick fix with the paint/dye fading or peeling off after 6 months or so? If I could find the correct colour vinyl I would use it, however it is a dark green and almost impossible to find, (its on a 1968 Wildcat). However you have done a great job on your headliner and long may it last.

Take care

John

I thought I would follow up my post back in March about painting a vinyl headliner in my '57 Century 4 door post. Whoever recommended using the SEM vinyl paint products, THANK YOU! !!! I think they work great and the spray nozzle definitely flows better than the cheaper brands. I used the SEM vinyl prep and cleaner. The rust stains did not diminish much as you can see.

From the pictures I am going to post you will see the use of bungee strap hooks to spray the sun visors. Also, blue painters tape to carefully tape off the interior trim. I also wore head-cover and a face mask. It certainly helped to have a perfect day to leave the doors open and air the paint. It took 3 cans of SEM White -15313 Color Coat. There are many variations of white but after the test run, basic white matched perfectly! The last picture of the post is out of order and before painting. Hope this helps. JR

Guest Skyking

I also use SEM vinyl paint. I used their Sandstone Friday to dye my spare tire cover on one of my Metropolitans. Looks brand new and saved me $95.00 towards a new cover. I paid $15.00 a can.

Guest Skyking
Hello JR

I enjoyed reading your article and seeing the vinyl paint job which you did and it looks great. I am looking to paint or dye my dash pad and would be interested to find out whether either method is long lasting, or a quick fix with the paint/dye fading or peeling off after 6 months or so? If I could find the correct colour vinyl I would use it, however it is a dark green and almost impossible to find, (its on a 1968 Wildcat). However you have done a great job on your headliner and long may it last.

Take care

John

I dyed the headliner on my 60 Metropolitan 7 years ago and it still looks fresh. SEM has a color chart with a huge selection of colors. You may find your green. My paint store can also mix special colors.