Rear Axle Problem

I spent today taking the old tapered roller bearings off the rear axle. I had to split them to get them off and was very careful not to cut into the axle itself. Apparently the last person who performed this task wasn't as careful. After I got the bearings off and cleaned up the axles I discovered some shallow grooves that had obviously been cut into the axle some time in the past. I'm sure the axle is heat treated and I've always heard that cutting into the surface of a heat treated part can substantially weaken it. The deepest groove is perhaps 1/16 of an inch or less.

IMG_3827_zpsab2f35cb.jpg

IMG_3828_zps3c2da3f3.jpg

Do I have anything to worry about or are these axles still useable?

Thanks for any advice.

How long ago were the old bearings put on the car? If the axle lasted THAT long it will last that long again. If the cuts were around the diameter it MAY help the axle crack, lengthwise will not hurt. DO not weld them shut. IS it just the picture or did you heat the axle to discolor it he way it looks in your pics?

I didn't heat the axle - the coloration is, I believe, staining from old oil combined with surface rust. It cleans off with a little work. I don't know if they had cutting wheels in the fifties, but it's what the cuts look like they were made with.

keiser31, I sent you a PM.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Richard...this is what I found on the CM6 rear axle. I have the 30.25" item, but upon de-greasing found some shallow pockets in the tapered area. The other axle shaft tapered area is hammered where someone tried to remove it. I don't think I would use them. Sorry I could not help, but now you know for certain that the CM6 and DH6 axles will fit.

post-37352-143142512992_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142513002_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142513011_thumb.jpg

Thanks John, too bad they were so far gone.

Anyone with any ideas on repairing what I've got? The one deep groove actually cuts across the surface of the outer seal. Is there any SAFE way to fill these grooves and then turn them down? I assume welding on an axle is a tricky process, but if there was a way to fill the grooves with a weld bead and then turn them down without warping or damaging the axle, I would think it would work. Would a small surface weld like that compromise the shaft?

No special tool. Google Speedy Sleeve, I looked at Sturdi Sleeve brand. They are a very thin sleeve of stainless steel with a curled lip on one end. It fits on the shaft VERY tightly by pushing or tapping with a piece of tubing. When in place the curled edge peels off with the thin sleeve remaining for the seal to run on. They are a common replacement item for worn harmonic balancers.