The HAMB is down

nhmikel

I will say one thing about the H.A.M.B. site....do NOT download where it says something about viewing the page. It will mess up your computer settings. Ask me how I know if you dare....ARGGGGGGGGG!!

It is different, again. The Hamb sure has gone through alot of changes in recent years. This one seems to have tried to "pretty it up"... wish they'd just leave it alone visual-wise but they must have felt it was time for a legit upgrade, I can feature that too.

I'm sure it was a lot of work so I hate to say anything but I liked it better before.

Me too, for some reason it really bothers my eyes.

This just means i'll be spending more time here now and using this more traditional forum format. I don't really feel compelled to get my user info back up to snuff after this upgrade and will probably just use it for buy'n/sell'n from this point. I wish the Hamb the best of luck though and continued success!

Guest Magoo
It is different, again. The Hamb sure has gone through alot of changes in recent years. This one seems to have tried to "pretty it up"... wish they'd just leave it alone visual-wise but they must have felt it was time for a legit upgrade, I can feature that too.

That's generally my reaction, too. I like my software and websites not messed with... I like being able to find and use stuff easily. Sometimes it seems like change for the sake of change. But it's funny, once you get used to a new setup it seems normal and you can no longer remember what was different about it.

Guest prs519

Come on guys, give it a legitimate chance. My first impression is that it will be better, once one gets used to it. I have found nothing so profoundly changed that it makes one want to pull ones hair out. Thanks Hamb guys! It is arranged cleaner.

Well it is like this forum. It use to be with a yellow background and was easier on me old eye's. Change turned it white and it is harder on me old eyes but I live with it. Better if it was back to yellow. Dandy Dave!

To me, the new site is similar to viewing a non-HD image on a huge flat panel HDTV. Some of the images look a little distorted, either too wide or too short. That is especially true of the members avatars.

Maybe that will change in time.

• 3 weeks later...

The new version is not good.....especially for my "smart" phone even the desktop

you have to spend more time scrolling to view and cant find my favorite threads anymore

This site here is a lot easier to navigate

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BillP

I've gotten sort of sour on what that site represents and promotes. I'm 65 y.o. and lived through, participated in and remember hot rods and customs of the times. And yes, I like a chopped 34 Ford sedan as much as anyone. As a result of HAMB, a lot of stuff gets butchered up, never driven and probably discarded that never would have been hot rod or custom material in those "traditional" times.

I don't like change in anything, but I'm using the HAMB as much as I did before the change. There is so much enjoyable stuff there you have to find a way to use it, it isn't that big of a deal. There is one road trip with some great photos of the landscape out West, something you'll never see on this site. Bob

The HAMB is one of the premier websites devoted to customs and hot rods. To blame them for the destruction of old cars is a bit unfair. I have seen many instances of people being advised not to cut up a car due to its rarety. Granted, it is not a site that advocates restoration, but I think with or without the HAMB, a guy is going to do as he pleases with his car. I am a bit conflicted about their definition of "traditional". A traditional hot rod is a Ford......period. I am aware that there were guys like Bob Rufi, Wayne Horning and many other who championed other makes. Still, the backbone and the vast majority of rods were early Fords. So, when I see these threads, on the HAMB about building hot rod Nashes, Kaisers, DeSotos and the like, I have to wonder how these contraptions fall into the definition of "traditional". All they have is a year cutoff. So, if a guy wanted to build a 55 Chevy with a hot Rajo "T" engine in it, I guess they would have to allow it as it has all pre 64 parts even though it would be as stupid a car as anyone has ever seen. I know my analogy is absurd, but so is a Hemi Packard

Granted, it is not a site that advocates restoration, but I think with or without the HAMB, a guy is going to do as he pleases with his car.

...But with the HAMB its now on the net for everyone to see and cringe or applaud. Sometimes its just too much fun having true horror brought into your view you would have otherwise missed... had you not personally known the guy with the plasma cutter and the old car.

Edited by Lahti35
Bad spelling... whooked on fonics werked for mee! (see edit history)

The HAMB is one of the premier websites devoted to customs and hot rods. To blame them for the destruction of old cars is a bit unfair. I have seen many instances of people being advised not to cut up a car due to its rarety. Granted, it is not a site that advocates restoration, but I think with or without the HAMB, a guy is going to do as he pleases with his car. I am a bit conflicted about their definition of "traditional". A traditional hot rod is a Ford......period. I am aware that there were guys like Bob Rufi, Wayne Horning and many other who championed other makes. Still, the backbone and the vast majority of rods were early Fords. So, when I see these threads, on the HAMB about building hot rod Nashes, Kaisers, DeSotos and the like, I have to wonder how these contraptions fall into the definition of "traditional". All they have is a year cutoff. So, if a guy wanted to build a 55 Chevy with a hot Rajo "T" engine in it, I guess they would have to allow it as it has all pre 64 parts even though it would be as stupid a car as anyone has ever seen. I know my analogy is absurd, but so is a Hemi Packard

I've seen threads get deleted that were hot rods built from foreign cars before the year cut-off. Also anything that's a (or called a) ratrod will get deleted. It seems that C.O.E.'s, pedal cars, and Divco milk trucks fit in as traditional hot rods though. I'm with you. I'm confused on their term "traditional".

I've seen quite a few good threads there dedicated to non hot rods. There's one in particular "History - We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?"

I follow it along with many others that I fail to recall at the moment. I also subscribe to a couple of social groups that get much more attention than any topics elsewhere.

The hot rods, MEH.

[h=2][/h]

For the Historical Record: RAJO did make a head for the Chevy 6, and a HAMB member has one in a 53or54 Chevy she drives around. Bob