Nash Rambler

timsweet

post-32395-143142504499_thumb.jpghi tim, you might want to look up the name of thomas ahearn, he invented the electric car heater in 1890. there were several automaker in the 1920's that offered engine coolant based car heaters, a long time before 1938 nash. maybe nash made some improvement in the heating system in 1938. for many years, everyone thought that the 1954 nash had the industry's first all up front, in dash factory air conditioning, starting in may of 1954, but that honor rightfully belongs to pontiac, in december of 1953, pontiac made it's all up front, in dash factory air conditioning available, beating nash by six months. you can find my posts about that elsewhere here on the forum. charles coker, 1953 pontiac technical advisor, pontiac oakland club international.

post-32395-143142504448_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142504473_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142504524_thumb.jpg

Charles - Thank you. The Rambler wasn't the first car heater, it was the first that used fresh air - that was my omission.

I omitted the “Fresh Air” as in – hot water using fresh air. Thanks for straightening that out and for taking the time to drop me a note.

Was 1938-39, if my research is correct.

A couple references:

Nerad, Jack; Redgap, Curtis. “Nash Motors cars, 1916 to 1954″. allpar.com. Retrieved 16 June 2013.

Heppenheimer, Thomas A. (Spring 2005). “Cold Comfort”. Invention & Technology Magazine 20 (4). Archived from the original on 1 January 2010. Retrieved 16 June 2013.

thanks tim, those pictures are of my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina, i transplanted the 1954 pontiac factory air conditioning into my car's dash, 53-54 pontiacs shared the same sheet metal. when nash came out with their air conditioning, they change the name "weather eye" to now being "all weather eye" charles coker.

There were hot water heaters for cars before Nash. They were an add on box that bolted to the firewall under the dash or under the seat. Nash was the first to build the heater into the car, with fresh air brought in from outside, filtered, heated, and distributed to the passengers and to defrost the windshield.

hi bob, well it's still work in progress lol, these 1954 pontiac factory air conditioning set up are very rare, pontiac ordered from harrison division for the 1954 model year 7,026 a/c systems, about half were installed i believe, i currently have on my list of 1954 a/c systems 15 cars, 13 1954 pontiacs, 2 1953 pontiacs, it seems that i wasn't the only one crazy enough to put the 54 system into a 53 pontiac. i have a 1955 buick roadmaster rear factory a/c system that will go in the trunk behind the rear seat and have inlets and outlets in the package tray or shelf. the rear a/c set up will have cadillac like rear fender fresh air scoops. the controls that buick used in 1954 to 1956 mount under the dash, and that's perfect for putting it into my 53 custom catalina. one of my pontiac buddy says the car will be a rolling meat locker, lol.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)