re: restoring tri-shield emblems

Johnny Buick

Hello Everyone

I am hoping that someone can help me here. I would like to "restore" the faded colours on the tri-shield emblems which I have on my 1968 Wildcat. Is it possible to seperate/ pry apart without breaking the two layers of plastic. If I can get the top clear layer apart, I am confident that I would be able to mask/tape up each colour and bring them back to life. Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone has got the front grille and rear trunk lid tri shield emblems forsale please let me know?

Thanks

John

BCA #46404

ROA#14353

I'm not sure if those emblems are the same as the wheel cover emblems, but I recently restored those tri-shield emblems on the wheel covers for my '63 Riviera. On the reverse side, they have a silver or a light gray paint finish. Working from the back of the emblem, I soaked one in brake fluid, which slowly dissolved the paint right down to leaving most of the chrome paint (or whatever they used) intact. This soaking takes patience (a few days) and a lot of Q-tips! I also did one emblem before I started on the others just to see how things would turn out. I then purchased Testors model paint in the small bottles - white, red metallic, and blue metallic. A good hobby shop will have the colors you need if you bring a non-faded emblem to make a match. I then hand-painted in the various sections with a fine modeling brush, and as a final step used a fine polish such as Scratch-X to shine up the front (clear plastic) side of the emblem. Hope this helps, but you can find more on the Internet about using brake fluid to restore such emblems.

I'm not sure if those emblems are the same as the wheel cover emblems, but I recently restored those tri-shield emblems on the wheel covers for my '63 Riviera. On the reverse side, they have a silver or a light gray paint finish. Working from the back of the emblem, I soaked one in brake fluid, which slowly dissolved the paint right down to leaving most of the chrome paint (or whatever they used) intact. This soaking takes patience (a few days) and a lot of Q-tips! I also did one emblem before I started on the others just to see how things would turn out. I then purchased Testors model paint in the small bottles - white, red metallic, and blue metallic. A good hobby shop will have the colors you need if you bring a non-faded emblem to make a match. I then hand-painted in the various sections with a fine modeling brush, and as a final step used a fine polish such as Scratch-X to shine up the front (clear plastic) side of the emblem. Hope this helps, but you can find more on the Internet about using brake fluid to restore such emblems.

Hello Jan

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my enquiry. It is greatly appreciated! I will take your advice and have a go and see what happens. I will keep you informed. Thank you once again.

Regards

John

I have Buick 7 spoke chrome wheels on my Reatta. I didn't like the plain silver emblem in the center caps so I touched them up with nail polish. 3 summers and still looks great. My wife didn't even know I used them...