Sign in to follow this  
Dandy Dave

Is The Packard Automobile Comming Back?

What year did they make the revived Packard in the late seventies/early eighties?

I hope they don't resurrect the Yugo...

I had a buddy that had one of those. It sat at a local gas station and repair shop that is now a Quickie Mart. The car was nearly new at the time and had a bad front wheel bearing that was made from unobtainium... yes. "You go if it goes." I bet back in the day they did not think much better of a friction drive Metz... Seems like a lot of them were pushed off in a barn and survived because of reliability issues. Dandy Dave!

A team of Metz was proven to be quite reliable, winning top honors on the Glidden Tour in 1913 or '14??

I for one, would take a Metz on a long distance tour before a Yugo, West.

Now if I could just get one of the big guys to respond to my idea of reviving the Apperson Jackrabbit - who wouldn't prefer driving that to the office over an "XLS" or "C-300" :D

A team of Metz was proven to be quite reliable, winning top honors on the Glidden Tour in 1913 or '14??

Must have been flat country, or the models without the friction drive. With the friction drive they slip like mad going up hills around here. Dandy Dave!

Must have been flat country, or the models without the friction drive. With the friction drive they slip like mad going up hills around here. Dandy Dave!

Started out flat. The 1913 Tour went from Minneapolis to Glacier National Park, so I believe it ended in the Rocky Hills. All Metz are friction drive, and the three cars on that tour all finished. Perhaps something's not quite right with the driveline of the Metz in your area.

• Like 1

I'm a Studebaker fan but I just don't see the point of trying to bring back a name that few people of cr buying age would even recognize, much less give serious consideration. I would think something more of a special interest/niche vehicle would at least have a chance of sparking some interest; not trying to compete with all of the other CUVs out there. Studebaker learned the hard way that a small independent has little hope of competing head to head with the big boys in the long term.

Remember Studebaker (the name holders) tried to bring out a Hummer knock off? They were sued by GM at first and they deceased and desisted,then GM relented but they never got beyond a prototype.

Started out flat. The 1913 Tour went from Minneapolis to Glacier National Park, so I believe it ended in the Rocky Hills. All Metz are friction drive, and the three cars on that tour all finished. Perhaps something's not quite right with the driveline of the Metz in your area.

You have me thinking. The biggest problem is the material used on the Clutch/drive wheel. When they were new the stuff may have grabbed a lot better then 100 years after being built. Not sure if the right stuff is even available today. Must be something out there that would work as well or better. The stuff gets hard and slick with age and thus, the slipping. Also, The Metz Master 6 was gear drive. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Guest BillP

I wish they'd bring back Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac of the 30s, 40s, 50s, and early 60s!

I just came back from Croatia. Our guide said the Yugo company in Serbia is back in business.