WTB: Front speaker for a '64

RivNut

I'm having the AM/FM radio for my '64 reconditioned and the gentleman who's doing it can rebuild speakers for less than I can buy replacements or OEM speakers. He uses the chassis, magnet, and wiring and mounts a new voice coil and speaker in the old chassis. So, all I need is an old speaker as long as it is complete and has the factory wiring still attached, the cone can be toast.

(I thought I had one, but now it and the dash board to which it was attached have both gone AWOL.) I may be in the market for a dash as well, but in order to do the entire radio package now, I need a speaker chassis NOW. This speaker would be the same for 1965. It's very narrow in order to fit above the radio in the dash so no ordinary 4"x10" speaker will work. Plus the OE speaker is a 10 ohm speaker; necessary for the good of the radio itself. Thanks in advance.

Ed

Guest Gseago

Hi Ed, I have one in my '64 that I'm willing to part with. I'll grab it when I go to my storage unit tomorrow.

Thought I had one, but it must be with yours. I have two 65 back seat speakers if one of those would help.

I have an original rear seat speaker from a '63 that I parted out last summer, but I appreciate the offer. When I find out how much each re-coning will be, I'll let everyone know the price and the quality of the work. Perhaps there's a mom & pop industry out there just waiting.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dwhiteside64

It's very narrow in order to fit above the radio in the dash so no ordinary 4"x10" speaker will work....

Ed

So a common 6x9 will not fit right?

Darren,

Only the front speaker needs to have a narrow (I think the Delco manual calls them shallow) profile. The 4 x 10 front speaker needs to be shallow for clearance above the radio. The 6 x 9 in the rear can be a normal depth (unless you go crazy with some kind of funky aftermarket three coil bass whopper.)

Here's a picture of the front speaker that I'm going to have rebuilt. It has a depth of 2". (I'll post a couple of more pictures of it after it's been rebuilt.) The rear speaker is already at the rebuilders; I'll include pictures of it when I get it back.

post-50017-143142533729_thumb.jpg

post-50017-143142533735_thumb.jpg

Guest Gseago
Sonnie, your too funny.

I'm a poet and I don't know it. But my feet should have clued me in, they're "Longfellows."

Can you blame me for trying?

Never can you blame anyone from trying.

WHEN I get the speaker rebuilt and have a chance to listen to it, and IF anyone is interested, I'll post info on the guys' name and contact info who rebuilds them.

Ed

Guest Gseago

I haven't decided on in car entertainment yet but it will probable upgraded( I know some don't think newer is better) over what was factory installed since the original radio and speaker are gone.

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks Ed that would be great. I too have toasted speakers with bad coils and cones. Although I'm not expecting anything great from the OEM set-up, there is something nostalgic about listening to mono AM radio after so many years of FM stereo and CD quality sound. :P

The OE speakers that I'm having rebuilt will not have the old style paper cones in them. The speaker chassis will be old (picture,) but the cone and coil will be new technology. They also get new dust covers fitted. :D

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64

OK, cleaned and tested radio outside of car - check. Car wiring to/from radio inspected - check. Speakers tested - BAD :(. Now I just need to find a low profile 4x10 and a 6x9 with 10 Ohm impedance and I will be golden. :cool:

For those wanting stereo, it is possible with a bit of filing to the speaker mount ears and a little bit of fabrication to put a pair of conventional 4in speakers in there and have them clear the controls (I have the full deck of controls including defroster on my '64) on both the '64 and '65. I've done it on both. I've used both Infinity Kappa and Polk Reference to do it. Only real trick it to have the wires come out towards the firewall or outsides; if you put them in the middle or toward the interior you're out of room.

S&E Electro-Tech www.turnswitch.com sells something from their website like what is being described above

Here's what I copied and pasted from their classic speaker page.

Stereo 4" x 10" Oval Dual 3 1/2" - These speakers use two of our 3 1/2" full range speakers mounted on 11ga laser cut steel mounting plate to replace a standard single 4 x 10 oval 4 bolt or football shape 2 bolt speaker for stereo radio applications. These speakers will fit anywhere an original 4 bolt or 2 bolt 4" x 10" was installed including the very shallow Delco applications such as the 1964 thru 1967 Tempest/GTO (4 bolt) or 1970 thru -73 Mopar E-body (2 bolt). Both speakers have black dust screen installed.

Price - $99.95 8 ohm available Size: 10 1/2"L x 4 3/4"W. 1 1/2" deep. 3 1/4" x 6 7/8" mounting centers.

D410FT.JPG (36650 bytes)D410BK.JPG (34024 bytes)

DL410FBF.JPG (14826 bytes)DL410FBB.JPG (17757 bytes)

Note: As 3 1/2" speakers cannot handle high power low frequency signals without distortion, our speakers have "Bass Blocker" capacitors installed to prevent overload from low frequency signals. These are the blue components shown installed on the back side view.

The pictures won't paste but you can see what they offer on their website. What's important here is that if you're using an older radio these 8 ohm speakers are compatible with the 10 ohm output of the head unit. Lower (4 0hm) speakers will eventually blow out your radio's amplifier.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I put a dual 6x9 Stereo Speaker as a rear speaker in my '65 - see below. I have left the working AM radio setup with the single front 4x10 working - completely untouched. I put in a discretely located auxiliary amp that I can drive the 6x9 speaker pair with any line source. I use a satellite radio, also discretely located, or an mp3 player (ipod), but anything that has a line level output could be used. Instead of drilling holes in the firewall or using existing wiring, I also put in an auxiliary 12 V battery (small one that you can get at Batteries Plus, one that would be in a battery backup unit for your desktop PC).

You do loose a bit of the low end in the sound, but men and women of a certain age can't hear the highs and don't need the lows.

Here is a picture of the speaker I put in.

post-95345-143142546705_thumb.jpg

Always gotta Rock On,

gord

I'd be hesitant to rebuild an old speaker Ed. Sound quality is weak enough in these old systems as it is. Unless the rebuilder is able to remagnetize the magent, the original magnets will be weak after 70 years and sound quality will suffer? I like authenticity but have to draw the line here. The new 4x10s from Electro Tech are the cats meow