I was browsing our national archives (as in Australia) for what they have on pre-war buicks' and came across some really fascinating reviews that I thought I'd share with you guys

I just did a search for a 1926 standard six and it found a surprising amount of advertisements and reviews of them, I'm sure there is more for other models . Also importantly for the Americans, we still used imperial measurements at the time so no conversions required for (most of) the statistics

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/93557746?searchTerm=buick%20standard%20six%201926&searchLimits=

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/64324954?searchTerm=buick%20standard%20six%201926&searchLimits=

apparently a fuel strainer was a big deal in 1926...

Even back in 1935, someone wanted to know the model year differences between them by writing into the paper

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/136839277?searchTerm=buick%20standard%20six%201926&searchLimits=

Anyone else found anything else interesting from similar period resources?

hidden hunter

Thanks for those articles, very interesting. At the end of the second article it mentions Eyes & Crowle Ltd. That was the dealer that sold my 25.

In Adelaide, South Australia

post-64273-143142492394_thumb.jpg

Also importantly for the Americans, we still used imperial measurements at the time so no conversions required for (most of) the statistics

Still a bit of conversion to do. US gallon about 80% of the Imperial gallon / pint / quart.

This is the same dealer that supplied my 24/34 roadster and I have the same plate on the dash. My car may have been am early import as the frame number is 1080001. From what I have discovered on the net, Eyes & Crowle were also dealers for other makes and obviously had a good business in the 20's.

If you have a look at http://trove.nla.gov.au/ you might be able to find the original advert - is it a fisher or holden body car? the non holden body cars attracted a 75 pound premium (tax rather than features, they actually had a simpler interior as far as I have found out)

Have had a quick look on the site and a car similar to mine is described in an article dated 20 May 1924 and describes the car perfectly- "Cobalt Blue with blue leather interior". From the info and photos received with the car from the previous owner, it is one of only 113 RH drive 24/34 roadsters exported from the USA. It has a Holden body and was found by a Geoff Johnson, a veteran and vintage car trader, in the Barossa Valley who bought it from a vine yard owner. Unfortunately Geoff has passed away so no more info is available.

Can you confirm if the car would have been supplied with a body colour painted radiator surround or left nickle plated?

Thanks for the info.

Have had a quick look on the site and a car similar to mine is described in an article dated 20 May 1924 and describes the car perfectly- "Cobalt Blue with blue leather interior". From the info and photos received with the car from the previous owner, it is one of only 113 RH drive 24/34 roadsters exported from the USA. It has a Holden body and was found by a Geoff Johnson, a veteran and vintage car trader, in the Barossa Valley who bought it from a vine yard owner. Unfortunately Geoff has passed away so no more info is available.

Can you confirm if the car would have been supplied with a body colour painted radiator surround or left nickle plated?

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure, all I know is that the rad had changed by the 26 (reviews noted it changed to a "packard style") which I believe was nickel plated (though I suspect a lot would have been chromed at some point of their life)

Make sure you try some wine from your cars previous home :)

Dalesman

The fours all had painted radiator surround, the sixes were nickel plated. The 24 4 cylinder tourer and roadster were only available in black in the US. The Master 24-44 roadster was in cobalt blue, Holden may have painted the four,s in the same colour as the six but I think they usually followed the same colours as used in the US.

post-64273-143142496782_thumb.jpg

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)