Wagon Mania- 64 LeSabre wagon

Ted/Sean! 

Here's the body plate for my parts car from PA as well. Shipping okay and on route. Looking forward to get it down to Art In Tempe AZ.  Sean! Ref our discussion the Buick net, I get, appreciate and understand your points. However I still don't understand that for instance cornering lights Code H1, is rare to find on the bodyplate and on some 64 wagons even luggage rack R2 was coded on the bodyplate, but not on all. Even Cruise control and Super Turbine 400 had a own code H1 and A6 to my knowledge. Mystery times, or perhaps as easy as you explain it. And of course some could be put on much later buy other owners, however still some of this car seems to be quite untouched since they rolled out of the Dealership. 

Ted!

Congratulations with your newly found motivation. Might need to get one of the rare tailgate window wiper/washer.

Regarding the thread, haven't checked but it should still be on the Web board on Buick net. Let me also know if there is parts I might can offer you when the time comes. 

Thanks

Joern

IMG_0236.JPG

Cornering lights and luggage racks could be installed by the dealer once the car left the factory, so the codes for dealer installed items won't show up on the data plate.  In 1964 there were four different schemes used for option codes on the data plates and there is always some natural variation depending on who was stamping the plates that day.

08D
STYLE 4635 BODY 57
TRIM 461 PAINT F-F
ACC. E6 F5 G5 I6 J1 K6
     N2 P3 R2 S7 U7

08D = body build date = August (08) 1963, fourth week (D)

4635 = body style number
4 = Buick
6 = Wildcat/LeSabre Estate Wagon
35 = 4-door estate wagon, 2-seat

57 = sequential body number

Trim 461 = Blue Cloth and Vinyl, available on styles 4635, 4645

Paint code F-F = solid Marlin Blue Metallic

Accessory (ACC.) option codes:
E6 = Rear Seat Speaker
F5 = Instrument panel lower roll pad
G5 = Tailgate washer/wiper
I6 = Soft-Ray Tinted Glass
J1 = Power Seat - 6 Way Adjuster
K6 = Custom Foamtex Padded Cushions
N2 = Air Conditioner
P3 = Custom Bright Exterior Moldings and Roof Drip and Door Window Frame Moldings
R2 = Luggage Rack
S7 = Remote Control Side View Mirror
U7 = Power Windows

01C
STYLE 4645 BODY 2285
TRIM 433 PAINT K-K
ACC. B2 F5 I6 K6 J1 K6
N2 P3 S7 U7

01C = body build date = January (01) 1964, third week (C)

4645 = body style number
4 = Buick
6 = Wildcat/LeSabre Estate Wagon
45 = 4-door estate wagon, 3-seat

2285 = sequential body number

Trim 433 = Fawn Vinyl, available on styles 4635, 4645

Paint code K-K = solid Sunburst Yellow

Accessory (ACC.) option codes:
B2 = Seat Belts-Front Seat, Deluxe (Driver and Passenger)
F5 = Instrument panel lower roll pad
I6 = Soft-Ray Tinted Glass
J1 = Power Seat - 6 Way Adjuster
K6 = Custom Foamtex Padded Cushions
N2 = Air Conditioner
P3 = Custom Bright Exterior Moldings and Roof Drip and Door Window Frame Moldings
S7 = Remote Control Side View Mirror
U7 = Power Windows

• Like 1

Thank you Sean.   I noticed a couple things- body # 57 and August '63 build date- that is pretty early!  

There is a note on the 64 options list regarding seat belts (B2) - my wagon has seat belts, not factory ones though.

Joern's parts wagon has B2 factory belt option.    

There is not enough room on that tag for all the options on my wagon!  

• Like 1

Some picture from today of the KX car on the way to temporarily storage for a couple of months. Picture of Protect O Plate as well. Seems to have been a Company Car,  and I think the Construction Company still exists. Don't know how to decode all the vehicle information on it.

Anyone?

Thanks

Joern

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wildcat65 said:

Sean- any thoughts on the Mitchell- Bentley on the tag vs ...corp. Ionia?

For information about the name see here:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/m/mitchell_bentley/mitchell_bentley.htm
http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/s/smith_a_o/smith_a_o.htm

X-368 6K1106134Y
L-360 FB 43341
4635-KK-463

X = engine production code KX
368 = engine build date code

6K1106134 = car serial number
(see decode here http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?25968-Help-decoding-1964-Buick-Lesabre-Station-Wagon&p=101774#post101774)

Y = build month = February 1964

L = transmission production code BL (ST400 automatic for 425 V8, Column shift)
360 = transmission build date code (12/27/1963)

FB = body built at Flint (not really, probably should not have been stamped, but "natural variation")
43341 = body number (incorrectly stamped, again "natural variation")

4635-KK-463 = style number-paint code-trim code

24-203
3-4-4
6K1106134

24-203 = dealer number (Ballentyne Buick, 300 El Cajon Blvd., El Cajon CA)

3-4-4 = date of delivery (March 4th, 1964)

• Like 2

From that site:

Following the death of Calvin P. Bentley in 1964, the Ionia Mfg. plant was sold to

the A.O Smith Corp. and Mitchell-Bentley was reorganized as the Mitchell Corp.

The same folks that were responsible for building the fiberglass '64 Wildcat that is now in the LeMay Museum collection.

Fantastic Sean!

Great information, first car I ever own with a original Protect O Plate, so it is a new experience for me and great learning.

Looked up the Construction  Company who bought the car new. Seems like they still exists. Can you imagine cruising into a construction site with a brand new Lesabre "Super Wildcat"wagon and a white shiny hard hat. Owner must have felt like King for a day or more! After all we are talking Buick.

Didn't find the Dealership yet, I thought Marvin K Brown was the biggest in the whole San Diego area back in those days. Anyone who has some information about Ballantyne Buick in El Cajon California in the 60s?

Thanks 

Joern 

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 10:07 PM, Topper1961 said:

Fantastic Sean!

Great information, first car I ever own with a original Protect O Plate, so it is a new experience for me and great learning.

Looked up the Construction  Company who bought the car new. Seems like they still exists. Can you imagine cruising into a construction site with a brand new Lesabre "Super Wildcat"wagon and a white shiny hard hat. Owner must have felt like King for a day or more! After all we are talking Buick.

Didn't find the Dealership yet, I thought Marvin K Brown was the biggest in the whole San Diego area back in those days. Anyone who has some information about Ballantyne Buick in El Cajon California in the 60s?

Thanks 

Joern 

Found the Buick dealership in quite many ads in the Town and Country news paper from Alpine California. Their Pdf so I will see if I can post some of the adds later on. Correct name of dealership was Ballantyne Buick & GMC Trucks. Great ads.

Thanks

Joern 

Edited by Topper1961
Correctingen text (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

This Wagon Talk has inspired me to get into the garage and get mine running.

Mission Accomplished!  I had her on the highway for the first time in my ownership, 

maybe since the 80's!    I was down to connecting fluid and vacuum lines Saturday night.

On the way home, I got the rubber bits, sunday morning it was already very humid out- reminded me of when I lived in 

Columbia, SC.  Heavy dew on everything.  

I got my plumbing done, put fluids in and gas in the carb.  Turned the key and VOOM, it started immediately! 

Took a little coaxin to get it to run off the gas from the tank, but after a while I was able to drive it out of the garage and 

I saw a water leak-bad heater core.  I bypassed that and went for a ride...changed tires and drove to the house- 20 + minutes 

on city roads and then a little highway stint.  A lovely ride.  Smooth engine, shifts perfect, turns, brakes and tracks perfect.

4- note horns work, Electric seat, windows, am/fm, power antenna, a/c - I have not opened it up and it still has a wee bit of R12.

I am optimistic...

Cheers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wildcat65 said:

This Wagon Talk has inspired me to get into the garage and get mine running.

Mission Accomplished!  I had her on the highway for the first time in my ownership, 

maybe since the 80's!    I was down to connecting fluid and vacuum lines Saturday night.

On the way home, I got the rubber bits, sunday morning it was already very humid out- reminded me of when I lived in 

Columbia, SC.  Heavy dew on everything.  

I got my plumbing done, put fluids in and gas in the carb.  Turned the key and VOOM, it started immediately! 

Took a little coaxin to get it to run off the gas from the tank, but after a while I was able to drive it out of the garage and 

I saw a water leak-bad heater core.  I bypassed that and went for a ride...changed tires and drove to the house- 20 + minutes 

on city roads and then a little highway stint.  A lovely ride.  Smooth engine, shifts perfect, turns, brakes and tracks perfect.

4- note horns work, Electric seat, windows, am/fm, power antenna, a/c - I have not opened it up and it still has a wee bit of R12.

I am optimistic...

Cheers

Fantastic!

That's the right Buick Spirit! Lets keep this old great wagon on the road. My 64 Lesabre wagon parts cars will be picked up today and arrive in Tempe AZ on wednesday. Anyone need some parts?

I will post and add under buy and sell. 

Again great work Ted!

Joern  

On 12.7.2016 at 5:20 PM, Wildcat65 said:

Thank you Sean.   I noticed a couple things- body # 57 and August '63 build date- that is pretty early!  

There is a note on the 64 options list regarding seat belts (B2) - my wagon has seat belts, not factory ones though.

Joern's parts wagon has B2 factory belt option.    

There is not enough room on that tag for all the options on my wagon!  

Ted!

Any change for some picture of the Rear Speaker, Code E6 in your wagon?

Thanks

Joern

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2014 at 7:40 PM, Rob McDonald said:

Scratch a Buick guy and you'll find a station wagon lover underneath. This one's a beaut.

Indeed 

I bought this Buick shortly after I joined the BCA in 1974. I knew it was rare, and even though it needed a paint job, I thought it was worth the $200 agreed on.

20160828_114136_resized.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/13/2016 at 1:07 PM, Topper1961 said:

The reason I found this forum thread was from Googling "Ballantyne Buick".

I found the license plate frame below, and remembered the name, but was trying to remember where they were located,  as I lived in El Cajon in the 60's.

Back then, the Marvin K. Brown dealership was only Cadillac.

20160827_141304_resized.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/13/2016 at 0:08 PM, Wildcat65 said:

Front brakes Before:

After - not assembled yet

I just swapped this system onto my 56 Buick but I could not find the adjustment arm override spring anywhere (the black one on the arm) where did you find yours? How was the fit? It looks smaller than the original one that was on there.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:12 PM, Buick Bruce said:

Indeed 

I bought this Buick shortly after I joined the BCA in 1974. I knew it was rare, and even though it needed a paint job, I thought it was worth the $200 agreed on.

20160828_114136_resized.jpg

I bought this one for $900 plus shipping in 1985. There is a wagon lover alright among most Buick people.

Copy of 85CAB3.JPG

Copy of 85CAB1.JPG

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Buick Bruce said:

The reason I found this forum thread was from Googling "Ballantyne Buick".

I found the license plate frame below, and remembered the name, but was trying to remember where they were located,  as I lived in El Cajon in the 60's.

Back then, the Marvin K. Brown dealership was only Cadillac.

20160827_141304_resized.jpg

Hi Bruce!

Location of Ballantyne Buick and GMC Trucks. 300 El Cajon Blvd. Phone number 442-6671 as from an add 25 Feb 1965. Echo and Sun newspaper Alpine.

A lot of kool advertising from that time and extreme interested prices.

Sean, even decoded the Dealership number from the Protect O Plate. 

Thanks

Joern

Edited by Topper1961
Correcting and adding text (see edit history)

On Friday, September 02, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Topper1961 said:

Hi Bruce!

Location of Ballantyne Buick and GMC Trucks. 300 El Cajon Blvd. Phone number 442-6671 as from an add 25 Feb 1965. Echo and Sun newspaper Alpine.

A lot of kool advertising from that time and extreme interested prices.

Sean, even decoded the Dealership number from the Protect O Plate. 

Thanks

Joern

Bruce!

Sent you a PM! Fantastic license plate frame. Thanks for posting it.

Joern