Question about vehicle number tag on 49 Plymouth

Guest Will C

Guest Will C

The vehicle number tag on my 1949 Plymouth is badly worn and mostly illegible. Its just a small piece of aluminum with the words vehicle number on it and then stamped numbers on it and attached to the inner door post with metal screws. Im moving to Florida in a few months and I know they check the number to match the paper work. Is there anyone that can make me a new tag?

You say "mostly illegible" .. do not destroy that tag ...... if they do not accept the new tag (and I bet they can tell it's new) it is your only piece of evidence and even a partial would be a whole lot better than nothing. Read other threads on this forum, and on other forums, about just how picky some states are getting. I've owned and registered a lot of cars where you couldn't find any similarity between the number on the registration and any number on the car - they never used to check. I think those days are coming to an end.

The only time I have had the serial number checked is by the police after an accident or in a spot check. They look on the dashboard, on the driver's side.

If you make up a label with a Dymo label maker and stick it on your dash, they will look at that and not look any farther.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HOOIE

My 1950 Plymouth is titled from the engine #. It doesn`t match the serial# on the screwed on door jamb tag.My 54 wagon is titled from the door jamb tag, but that tag is rivited on. Both factory. Missouri titles.

If you are in any doubt, contact the Florida DMV and find out what their procedure is. In most cases your car and paperwork will be checked by a police officer and if everything checks out OK they will issue the appropriate ID tag. But every state is a little different.

My 1950 Plymouth is titled from the engine #. It doesn't match the serial# on the screwed on door jamb tag.My 54 wagon is titled from the door jamb tag, but that tag is rivited on. Both factory. Missouri titles.

The original engine number is stamped on the outside of the frame rail near the left rear wheel of your Plymouth. It might take some cleaning and a strong light to see it.