24-45 speedometer, ignition & lite switch parts, engine splash pans

Guest Hentzee

Guest Hentzee

Does anyone know where to find a speedometer casting? I sent mine to the guys in Minn to have rebuilt. They could not do it. All the parts gears etc are there but the casting is broken in more than one place. Next item I need is the small copper fingers that go in the ignition & lite switch. I bought the new casting from Bob's and new plexiglass front plate and a junk switch on ebay. But I still need the copper switch fingers for both the ignition side & the lite side. The last item on this post is the splash pans that fit on the bottom sides of the engine. Mine are rusted through with holes. Any thought or ideas? Thanks guys for all your help! Tom

Tom, the fellow you need to contact about the speedometer parts is Russ Furstnow. He is at 3545 West Kiltie Loop, Flagstaff, Arizona 86001 His phone is - (928) 526-1343. His email is - 1stnow@msn.com He is the absolute best in the antique speedometer parts/restoration business. I hope this will help you with part of your bucket list.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas America

Hentzee:

I know about the speedometer issues as mine is also very fragile. I believe when we spoke over the phone I mentioned about trying to PRINT out a copy (3-D Printer) of the drum yoke that was badly swollen on the big series speedometer I bought to experiment with. Of course the other issues can be the crumbling case.

post-79073-143142487215_thumb.jpg

Will keep you posted.

Larry

post-79073-1431424872_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142487208_thumb.jpg

If you don`t need to have it absolutly stictly original and a lot cheaper you can buy a Waltham or Stewart-Warner speedometer to change a little bit, they have a much better qualite than the AC-speedos those years.This`s how it looks on my 1925 for sale (Stewart-Warner)and also my 1927 for sale (From an oval Waltham).

post-31268-143142488026_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143142488034_thumb.jpg

Guest Hentzee

Hi Larry,

Mine is crumbling case problems. Talked with Russ Forstnow yesterday. He can't repair the AC unitd. He does have an oval shaped Stewart Warner. I don't know if it will cover the existing fancy bezel hole, but I would have to cut a new hole in the dash

Guest Hentzee

post-100105-143142490075_thumb.jpgThanks for the suggestion Leaf. The first pic is the rebuilt one from Russ. The second pic is my AC. I think you are suggesting cutting down the eschetion and mounting to the new bezel. I'm not sure it fit and work.

Tom

post-100105-143142490072_thumb.jpg

Hentzee,Try finding a speedo with 3 levels insted of 2 levels as the one from Russ.Stewart and Waltham has that if you are searching.But the last 6-12 month there hasen`t been many on E-Bay.

Buy a cheap one (not working) and see if it will work to put it in your Buick face.Maybe a 1925-1928 Buick speedo will fit if you will find one of those? 1924-1927 Master almost the same,1928 a little bit smaller I think.

Leif in Sweden.

Hentzee

You would be able to adapt most round speedo,s. Buick used the same round speedo,s for a number of years and between models. The standard speedo slides through the front of the dash,where as the master is attached from the back, making it possible to mount different speedo,s. The master face is a slightly different shape ( more oval) Photo 1. The main difference is the trip gauge on the standard comes through the front (photo 7), and master at the bottom (last photo). My 1920 sedan has a stewart gauge,(photo 6) These can be used but you probably won,t be able to use the trip metre. Standard and master cases (photo 2) same size body diameter 87mm (3 3/8") but master has oval front for oval face, but the oval face can go on the round body (photo 3) .Photo 4 & 5 show with eschetuen on and in dash. Look around for a good standard speedo and you can adapt it for your dash. Hope this makes sense.

Rod

post-64273-143142492491_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142492493_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142492495_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142492497_thumb.jpg

post-64273-1431424925_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142492501_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142492504_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142492505_thumb.jpg

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

hi I have some splash pans which I will fit to my car can you tell me how they fit to the engine do they go under the sump flange or on top of the block flange and do they bolt on they have slots that look like they go under boltspost-99738-14314249433_thumb.jpgalso what was the small hole by the exhaust hole for thanks tony

From memory it's screws, they can be quite tricky to get on/off though so it will need patience. Be especially careful for the switch at the end of the steering wheel

That and make sure you tetanus shot is up to date, that metal can be really sharp!

I have had problems with the cast parts in the speedometer on my 24/34 roadster but have managed to salvage them by coating them with a thin layer of 2 pack epoxy resin. If you are careful this holds the parts together so they can be adjusted/removed. What I do require is details of the drive ends of the speedometer cable as I have the outer cover put no inner drive chain or terminations. I was told that this type of drive was used by other car manufacturers. Can anyone post some photos to help ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hentzee
Hi Hentzee,

I have an AC speedo that is for sale. Pulled it from my '24 Buick. I think it is in excellent condition given the age. I can send you pics if you are interested?

Yes I'm interested. Please send pics. If u would give me details why you are pulling it from ur car.

Thanks