Fun reliable 1948 Plymouth ragtop 17,500

Ok time to try moving another car to come up with a down for a bigger house for the family. Here is a cut and paste from my local Craigslist ad. For extra photos go to the link at the end. I'll add a a few here though to wet the taste buds. Far from perfect but alot of fun with 90 percent NOS or rechromed chrome, a well sorted drivetrain with lots of new parts to make it such, a very nice correct style top and interior as well as 1 and 1/2 year old tires. Asking 17,500.

Here is your chance to own a great little beater 40's Convertible.

I have invested a bunch of time on this over the last couple of years as well as a bunch of money.

when I got it it had a nice correct style replacement interior with a nice black Hartz Canvas top.

I immediately went to work on the mechanics replacing everything it needed to be a good driver.

It has new

King Pins and bushings,

tie rod ends

Steering box

one Replacement control arm

Complete new brake system including rebuilding all wheel and master cylinders, adding new shoes, Blasting all drums and backing plates,

new front wheel bearings and seals

all wheels blasted and powder coated

4 new Firestone wide whitewall bias ply tubes and tires

upper engine rebuild inlcluding complete valve job with all new valve springs and gaskets

New waterpump

engine was previously bored .040 over and has nice bores.

radiator out cleaned and strap soldered back on

heater core replaced with NOS heater core with complete blast and repaint of heater box

new heater valve

all new hoses, belt and Clamps

all components removed from engine, blasted and refinished with correct decals

New battery leads

complete tune up including cap, wires, rotor, plugs, breaker plate

Carb rebuilt

Lots of rechrome and NOS parts installed including

Both front and rear bumper with guards and accessory grille guard

accessory mirrors,

Freshly polished stone shields

NOS front fender moldings and headlight rings

reproduction tail light housings and trunk ornament

NOS center dash grille assembly

NOS inner and outer door handles and window cranks

NOS hood badge

Nice replacement hood ornament with reproduction insert

New kick panels and glove box

New trim rings and replacement hubcaps

NOS tinted sunvisors

Rechromed complete trunk handle assembly

NOS Horn Ring with nice button. I just installed an NOS Horn relay and got the horn working properly off the horn ring.

She's very tidy inside so your significant other won't mind going along for a ride. No it doesn't have that "Old Car smell" you know, the mothball smell you get from across the field when you go to a car show.

It's ready to drive and enjoy today. As I mentioned it drives wonderfully. W ether stuck in traffic like the lake George car show for 45 minutes or pulling steep hills in 90 degree weather it runs a very consistent 170 degrees. Starts well hot or cold and carries great oil pressure. I also removed the rear upholstery removed the top rams refreshed them and replaced the bushings so the top goes up and down well with it's original vacuum system.

The Restored heater works great and makes it toasty inside even with the glass rear window with rechromed frame, zipped out on a 40 degree day. Making it possible to stretch the season a bit longer.

While far from being spectacular it presents fairly well with some patina.

The paint is shot (it's actually cracked and peeling in spots with surface rust where that paint is missing) It will need paint at some point or strip it and prime it with a yellow primer or leave it as is for that barn fresh look with beautiful chrome top and interior.

If you have always wanted a convertible from the 40's with great style this is a fun one without breaking the bank.

This was restored cosmetically at some point probably years ago so it's not an original survivor just a decent little runner.

If you can paint, this is the car for you. Throw a paint job on it this Spring and have a beautiful little car for this summer. I've replaced almost everything else.

I'm only selling to free up funds for my next project. I don't have to sell it and honestly it's a fun enough car as is I don't mind driving it for a while longer.

New spring price!!! It's right around the corner $19,500 .

Trades considered but I really am not into anything newer than 1965. The older the better.

Here is the link to the current craigslist ad with extra photos-

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4436066912

post-43003-143142485146_thumb.jpg

Trades welcome.

Cars on my Bucket list -

1961 Olds Convertible

1963-1964 Galaxie Convertible

1962 Chrysler Convertible

1963 Mercury Marauder

50's wagons

30's-1940 coupes

Hudson pickup

Other old pickups in nice condition considered.

Lots of stuff I have a broad spectrum of interest as you can see.

post-43003-143142485128_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142485135_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142485137_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14314248514_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142485143_thumb.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

A client and friend of mine is 94 years old and has owned some of the finest cars in the world, including what was widely regarded as the world's greatest collection of pre-war European Classics. It included everything from a Bugatti Type 57 to a Mercedes 540K to a BMW 328. He's also owned American Classics from Packard 12s to a Chrysler Imperial dual-cowl phaeton to one of the handful of Packard Darrin convertible sedans. He's been on the dias at Pebble Beach and has driven every noteworthy road in the world. He sold most of his cars a few years ago and now dabbles in inexpensive cars that he buys on eBay and just plays in his garage.

On my last visit, I asked him if he could have just one old car, having driven and owned pretty much everything, what would it be?

He thought for a moment, then said, "Well, that 1932 Alfa-Romeo roadster I had was pretty good. Light, fast, easy to drive, and pretty to look at..." Then he paused and thought some more and added, "But you know, those post-war Plymouths are awfully good!"

No, he was not joking and I take his opinion very seriously. He currently owns about 10 1941-1949 Plymouths of various shapes and sizes, we've sold another 4 or 5 for him, and I'll agree with him completely. These little Plymouths are wonderful cars to drive. Don't judge them by their spec sheets, go drive one and you'll see that the just work better than a comparable Ford or Chevy in just about every way.

Edited by Matt Harwood
Typo (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply Matt. I saw it in a post a long time ago and found it very interesting. So did my friend who is a real Mopar nut.

I'm pretty sure it would have been long gone by now if it weren't for the paint issues. I have found out with old cars in more recent years that the stuff you can't see (the mechanics and drive-ability) are what really cost in the long run. Everyone can see new paint and chrome but getting a car to the sorted out point is the hard part as many hands have dabbled with them over the years and often not for their better.

I don't think people understand that until they have to deal with a car that just isn't right and performs poorly if at all. It's even worse when you can't do the diagnostic and physical work yourself.

Anyway someone will get a fun little car. I guess trades are welcome, full or partial but the wife really wants a bigger house and this is one of the pieces of the puzzle that will make that happen.

I've learned that most buyers don't have much vision. It's not their fault, but it's hard for them to see past what's right in front of them. Even if the bones are good, it's always the insignificant stuff that folks get hung up on. How many shiny cars with fresh paint sell for crazy money at auction but have dangerous mechanicals?

I, on the other hand, find it very reassuring to see on your car that the front suspension is full of shiny restored components and that the engine bay looks great. Just get in and drive!

You'll find a new home for it. Someone will fall in love. That's a lot of top-down fun for the price of a used Hyundai.

• 4 weeks later...

I just went through the fuel system on it. About the only thing I hadn't fully addressed. The tank has been out and cleaned, new in line filter, new fuel pump, new frame to pump soft line and I rebuilt the gas gauge while it was out. It really should be a great driver now with nothing left to do Mechanically. Don't buy a pretty looking car you have to drag home on a trailer. It's hard to put a true value or cost on unknown mechanics and problems no one you know, has any idea on how to fix. There are paint and body shops all over. How many garages do you know will work on or even know how to work on older cars? I have a few friends who specialize in fixing what the garages that charge 75.00 an hour can't fix.

A few fresh photos I just took yesterday post-43003-143142559077_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142559074_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14314255908_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142559081_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142559084_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142559085_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142559087_thumb.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I'll give you a bump on a nice car for the money! Plymouth's are great drivers and converts are worth a lot more than you are asking.

Give it your color new paint and you will more than double your money! Basket cases sell for what he is asking!

I have a 41 Plymouth convert and have no need for another car as my garage is full and need to sell one or two myself.

I still have it. In fact I just wired up the Hood ornament so it lights up. Why I'm not sure, since I'm selling the car and I'm sure the new owner will care less. I just thought it would be neat to have it light up. I'll have to post some dusk pictures when it stops raining. It should look pretty neat. I've seen the kit for them but never actually seen one lit up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It didn't officially sell on ebay. A challenged bidder bid on the wrong car. (I'm not quite sure how that happens but anyways) It's still officially for sale I might entertain a close offer in cash only.

There is a fully restored one for 43,000 on ebay right now. I bet you will have more fun with this one unless you want to fry in a show field and collect trophies. 17,500 is a long way from 43,000.

Serious trades, properly priced, considered.

• 3 months later...

Ok the cheapest price you will see on it. 15,000 cash takes it. Price is absolutely firm. I'm buying a tractor for our new house and would rather use the money from this for that. I'm buying the tractor either way so this isn't a negotiable fire sale price. This is the best price. Do the math, even needing a paint job (seems nobody remembers how to paint a car anymore as everyone that looked at it said they are going to have to pay a shop to paint it as well as prep it, must be they forgot how to use a wrench as well. Mo magic to unbolting the trim.) This is a good price. It doesn't need paint to drive it. It starts right up runs fine and is very reliable. Yes the power top works just fine as does the heater.

Remember it's the little problems that you can't see that cost the most to fix in the end. Body shops get 48.00 an hour and would be happy if you took the trim off first and stripped the paint off. Mechanics shops get 75.00 an hour and may charge you more if you worked on it first for them.

$15,000 Firm!!!!!

Guest straight shooter
I just added a few fresh photos I took yesterday. I don't think you can get into a 40's convertible any cheaper than this that doesn't need everything.

That is very true and the first thing that I said to myself when I saw this thread. Good luck with the sale.

• 2 months later...

Trades welcome.

Cars on my Bucket list which are probably pretty comparable in value -

1961 Olds Convertible

1963-1964 Galaxie Convertible

1962 Chrysler Convertible

1963 Mercury Marauder

50's wagons

30's-1940 coupes

Hudson pickup

Other old pickups in nice condition considered.

A complete drivetrain or parts car for my 36 Cord 810.

Lots of stuff I have a broad spectrum of interest as you can see.

I still want it! Just waiting for better weather as I have no place to store it until spring. A tree fell on my storage shed, so everything had to be moved to garage.

• 2 months later...

I think the Chrysler may be sold as well. I'm suppose to be getting a wire transfer on that this coming week. If it all comes to fruition then I may be on the hunt for a 41-53 Cadillac Convertible or turn it all into a bigger garage so I can get rid of my remote shop. That would be nice.

• 2 months later...