Help with what torque wrench to buy for a hand wrench.

62 driver

Guest kaycee

Hi,

You can buy a inch pound torque wrench at any of the auto car parts places and most good hardware stores. Just ask for an inch pound torque wrench. Mine is a beam type wrench that goes up to two hundred inch pounds.Buy a good name brand!

kaycee

Thanks, yes a open ended spoke wrench. Smaller than a 11/32. It needs to be 0.33. This is for my wire wheel project. I received my new spoke and nipples from Dayton. They said I need to buy the spoke wrench from Buchanan and then grind it to fit. That's what their truer's do. Buchananspokes.com sell the wrench ($29) and a torque wrench ($99). I am looking for a inexpensive torque wrench. I have a few socket type torque wrenches. The spoke wrench is fat and a regular open ended wrench won't work or a crows foot. They will just F up the nipples. Thanks Again Dave

That changes the torque value................Bob

If you put on facing forward. How about if you have it facing to one side? Thought about this a lot of times but rarely need to torque anything with a crows foot wrench. Dandy Dave!

Not sure but I think there would still be a correction factor required because you are now working on the hypotenuse. But maybe not. A good math type could probably figure the exact length of the crows foot X the required angle to factor out any correction. But I'm not that type. I think I would just figure the percentage of added length the crows foot was, subtract that from the target torque and call it a day.................Bob

I believe that a torque wrench, for truing or assembling wire wheels is a luxury that most can live without. I watched people do them and I did a few myself, years ago on my Harleys. I've never seen anyone use one. I'm sure they are handy, but I think you can live without one. Just put the wheel in the truing fixture, get it running round and with as little lateral runout as possible. Once your satisfied with it, evenly snug the spokes until they make a nice plinking sound when you tap them with a hammer. You can use a regular inch/pound torque wrench on a nut and bolt in the vise to give yourself a feel for what the recommended torque feels like. Your not building a space shuttle so absolute torque values are not that important. There are millions of wire wheels running around, that were trued by ear, and they're doing just fine

Why don't we just do a real world test. Set up a bolt in a vice and see what the value is with a socket and the with a crows foot separately. Generally there is a span of what the general torque is anyway. Say the reading in a book will be 55 to 65 LBS. I have torqued a lot of stuff and never have gone wrong yet. Does that little bit make all that much of a difference? Some nuts do not screw on as well as others. That also makes a difference. Get er done and move on to bigger and better things. My work bench proves I have done a lot of successful stuff torqued within reason. Dandy Dave!

Yo! Forget the hit and miss guessing and speculation. Now this right here is settled science..Thanx Gary.......................Bob

It is only true in a perfect world. One where the torque wrench is 100% accurate and the nuts, bolts, and studs all have equal drag and friction. Also where they have equal tensile strength. , to lubricate, or to not lubricate? It all makes a difference. The only truth is that the accuracy of the math you cannot argue about. Dandy Dave!

It is only true in a perfect world. One where the torque wrench is 100% accurate and the nuts, bolts, and studs all have equal drag and friction. Also where they have equal tensile strength. , to lubricate, or to not lubricate? It all makes a difference. The only truth is that the accuracy of the math you cannot argue about. Dandy Dave!

Yes the math is indisputable. But the true torque value, and whether it will increase, decrease , or stay the same with added or decreased inputs and other non knowable variables over time is only a prediction, and so, can't be settled. So now we also have to be worried about "torque change" on top of everything else. OyVey!...................Bob

As if there isn't enough to worry about...all those electricity producing windmills are slowing the rotation of the Earth. Imperceptibly yes but I'm sure some scientist could calculate the combined effect of those thousands of windmills. How much do we need to slow the rotation of the Earth before catastrophic changes occur? We need a committee to study this and soon!

As if there isn't enough to worry about...all those electricity producing windmills are slowing the rotation of the Earth. Imperceptibly yes but I'm sure some scientist could calculate the combined effect of those thousands of windmills. How much do we need to slow the rotation of the Earth before catastrophic changes occur? We need a committee to study this and soon!

Yes! Yes! All those wind mills are producing torque. That torque has to go somewhere. So we've come full circle. Instead of "torque change" we REALLY need to study GLOBAL TORQUEING. I'm sure there is some grant money out there somewhere. Once the torque threat has been settled and the torquers identified they can be forced to buy torque credits which are sold by the folks that are untorqueing things..........Bob

When I was a young fella I worked in the underground mining industry. The rugged old shop boss told me when i asked where the torque wrench was, " you don't need it, if your right handed tighten it with your left hand, it will be okay". I've gotten a little more finesse since those days. --Bob

Yes! Yes! All those wind mills are producing torque. That torque has to go somewhere. So we've come full circle. Instead of "torque change" we REALLY need to study GLOBAL TORQUEING. I'm sure there is some grant money out there somewhere. Once the torque threat has been settled and the torquers identified they can be forced to buy torque credits which are sold by the folks that are untorqueing things..........Bob
Global torqueing has been going on for many millenia. The first, presumed, instance was during the age of the dinosaurs, when the combined energy of their massive footsteps began the cycle. Later, it was the force exerted by the armies of Nebuchadnezzer, Cyrus of Persia, the Huns and so on that exacerbated the slow down of the earth. I don't even need to mention the name of Torquemada and his minions, who offer up proof of a conspiracy that goes back into the deepest recesses of time.

I would suggest that all drilling, be it oil, gas, water or whatever, be done utilizing bits that turn in the correct direction to reverse the damage that we and nature have caused by both accidental and careless over torquing. I would also recommend that we try to walk and drive in a westerly direction only.

"One step for a man, one step for retorquing the earth."

I'm not too worried about "global torqueing". One Wikipedia estimate indicated something like 100 TW (1014 watts) of wind power might be extracted globally if most of the wind power sites were developed. Over 31 million seconds in a year, that's 3.1x1018 Joules. The rotational kinetic energy of the earth is about 2.1x1029 Joules, so in about 10 billion years it might make a difference if we extracted some of the rotational kinetic energy. Fortunately for us on Earth, the sun is providing 1017 watts of energy, and this is what makes the wind blow, not the spin of the earth. All those windmills won't make a dent in the rotational energy. Of course, since I live on the south coast of beautiful Massachusetts, I don't want those ugly windmills in my back yard, LOL. As my high school physics teacher used to say when he handed back the test papers with low grades, "Gosh, physics is fun!"

Incidentally, the torque wrench wasn't sold commercially before 1938, which is why all those old manuals don't have any torque values listed. The simple beam-type torque wrench was allegedly invented by Walter P. Chrysler himself, according to Wikipedia. And that's the rest of the story...

I'd go with what Rusty wrote. 10 ft pounds of torque is 10 pounds of pull put on the end of a 1 foot wrench. This is why the beam-type torque wrenches have a handle with a center pivot point, so the pull is done at a consistent location from the fastener.

You can make a special wrench, and as mentioned already, weld a socket on the handle, use a regular torque wrench, and do the math or do an actual comparison with a known torque wrench.

GLong